Skip to main content
Topic: CSC Facebook Page (Read 5515 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from SPAM

Re: CSC Facebook Page

Reply #45
Without wanting to sound elitist or toff, the ONLY problem I see with a FB page is if it attracts the DH contingent of the rank and file supporters. Some of the stuff I have seen on some supporter Facebook pages ranges from irrational to down right abhorrent. Our site vets and moderates stuff extremely well, not sure how well it will work on FB. Perhaps I have this all wrong.

Its a reasonable concern GTC.
Its reasonable to assume that an increase in contributors will require an increase of Mod input, sadly thats just human nature but with more traffic we'll have more applicants for Mod positions, hopefully...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #46
Good points G2C, but it’s fairly easy to control a members only page.

One of our local community pages is set up so that inflammatory and aggressive language is not possible.  I tried to post a response today with the phrase “entitled twat” and I got a polite message informing me that my post didn’t meet community standards.  Suitably chastened, I changed it to “entitled person” 😇

As long as the page rules are clear, members have to toe the line or get banished.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Good points G2C, but it’s fairly easy to control a members only page.

One of our local community pages is set up so that inflammatory and aggressive language is not possible.  I tried to post a response today with the phrase “entitled twat” and I got a polite message informing me that my post didn’t meet community standards.  Suitably chastened, I changed it to “entitled person” 😇

As long as the page rules are clear, members have to toe the line or get banished.

I got a 30 day holiday on fb after my sister put up a post on her page about her hubby finding a snake in their couch in the living room of their Townsville house, my comment "Burn the place down"
Fb did explain that there was an international panel who i could appeal to if i so wished and showed a pic and gave a profile of each, a Sri Lankan woman, a Belgian man etc... I just took the holiday... :D
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #48
We probably all have slightly different ideas about how this will work

I'm kind of envisaging the Facebook page as a bit of a 'portal' into the magical world of CSC.
If a 'ratbag' survives the 'preliminaries' of the Facebook page he'll get knocked for six in the finals when he gets to the full forum.

I see the Facebook page as filling these kind of functions.
-a linking page to the full forum
-a place for short discussions
-an emergency site for times when the main site has an issue
- a bit of a social page where folks can organise things like catch-ups before and during games.

I'm seeing it as an extension to the main site rather than an alternative.
Think of it as two rooms of the same house.

Reply #49
To me, if we want to attract people to this site, we offer them snippets of something with a 'Click here for more....' type scenario.

Once you get people coming here, they can see what else we have here.

What would inspire people to 'click here for more'? Thats the million dollar question.
If possible, if we could get some interviews with players/coaches/whoever, that would be worth a view.

Other ideas would be....If we post a snapshot of a (somewhat?) controversial topic, people would follow.

Some interesting stats....
Some random trivia questions....
Something that piques peoples interest and they have to know more.

In short, clickbait.

Reply #50
To me, if we want to attract people to this site, we offer them snippets of something with a 'Click here for more....' type scenario.

Once you get people coming here, they can see what else we have here.

What would inspire people to 'click here for more'? Thats the million dollar question.
If possible, if we could get some interviews with players/coaches/whoever, that would be worth a view.

Other ideas would be....If we post a snapshot of a (somewhat?) controversial topic, people would follow.

Some interesting stats....
Some random trivia questions....
Something that piques peoples interest and they have to know more.

In short, clickbait.

It doesn’t even need to be that covert Krudds.
I’m on a forum for expats living in Thailand and they use fb in much the same way as Lods suggests, they post a link to a currently topical thread (usually with a pic to grab attention) back to the site, some people post on the fb, but not many, presumably some who are members of the forum will be prompted  to go to the forum and post.
People who aren’t members of that forum, if they search fb for Thailand will find the fb group and (the admins hope) follow the link and become members of the forum.
With fb there’s always the option of running an ad to try and target potential new members, I’ve never run one but I believe they are relatively cheap.

I’ve forgotten how to post pics here 🙄 but if you search fb for a group called “ASEAN now” you’ll see the sort of link, teaser, clickbait they use, it’s absolutely designed to bring traffic to the main website.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #51
Another way to think of this is old Aunty ABC.
She has her website, but also posts articles on fb to extend her “reach” I’d imagine that’s what we want to do.

Also, as Lods has said a couple of times, what do we do at the moment if the CSC Forum crashes or gets hacked ?
How do you contact @Spanner or @LordLucifer to say there’s a problem ?
I attempted to contact Krudds and Lods last week (but ballsed it up 🙄)
But if the site goes down what do we do… sit and wait for God ?
If we progress this fb group, we then have a backup way of communicating and alerting those in power of whatever problem may befall us and as long as no one try’s to sell their dog or cat the fb group is always up and running, maintenance free from us.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #52
Zwarry has invited several old CSCers to join the FB page 🙂

Our challenge is to entice them back here 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
Zwarry has invited several old CSCers to join the FB page 🙂

Our challenge is to entice them back here 🤔

And that’s part of everything.
If we keep doing exactly what we have been doing (no new active members) then the site will be a historical curio until the hosting credits run out and then it’s gone forever.
In order to attract new members and keep them engaged we need to (are trying) new things and maybe ol CSC will find itself slightly tweaked and different, but nothing stays the same, whatever we may think or wish.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #54
The FB page is ticking along nicely with 13 members so far.  It seems that those who no longer frequent CSC generally don't have the time or have other ways to get their navy blue quota.

I have made a post there about the "What do you want to see from [insert player's name] in season 2023?" in the hope of enticing people back to the site.  It would be good if those of us who are on FB could make a post there whenever a new thread is started here, but keep it to footy topics  :)

Reply #55
The FB page is ticking along nicely with 13 members so far.  It seems that those who no longer frequent CSC generally don't have the time or have other ways to get their navy blue quota.

I have made a post there about the "What do you want to see from [insert player's name] in season 2023?" in the hope of enticing people back to the site.  It would be good if those of us who are on FB could make a post there whenever a new thread is started here, but keep it to footy topics  :)

Perhaps if we also arrange, from time to time in each of the major cities, get-togethers a few times during the season (before or after a game) and invite members of the CSC and FB page to attend if they can, and bring some Blues supporter friends along as well (as an introduction and invitation to join either or both)?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56
By its nature I think that the Facebook page probably lends itself more to those social interactions (organising catchups etc.)
In the past these things have usually been done in here through PM's.

Reply #57
FB seems to be a place where 'numpties' gather to hash out the same things ad-nauseum, I'm yet to see any genuine discussion or debate.

Whilst running a forum like this is not an easy task, I feel that there are way more benefits to the members by having one. Naturally, an injection of new blood wouldn't go astray as they normally bring a different perspective on things with them.

I look at a lot of other forums and they have all descended into crisis with over-zealous mods selectively applying the rules, fan-boi discussions (don't ever be critical of any player or the club) and a lack of creativity from the posters themselves.

If everyone was tasked with creating one new thread a week, there would (or should) be a bucketload of things to discuss plus it should appeal more to outsiders and hopefully entice them to join.

Its not time to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet even though the potential for technical issues to get in the way do worry me.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #58
By the way, there must be at least 15-20 Carlton-based FB pages out there and by creating more all that people are doing is plintering the target market into smaller groups.

If there was a way to corral them all into the one spot then maybe it might work but clearly, that is not going to happen.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #59
I see the addition of the Facebook aspect as having two primary functions.

1) An emergency site we can go to for information or to continue discussion in the event the main forum goes down.

2) A conduit for attracting new members to the main site. The threads on the Facebook site all link back to the discussion on the main forums, it comes with a message... "to see what others think click this link"

The aim is not to compete with the other Facebook pages but to use that format to link here.
Already we have at least three, one time prolific posters, who have joined the Facebook page. These are folk who are no longer active here.
The test will be... having come "part of the way" will they make the transition to the main forum.

Think of the Facebook page not as an alternative to this place, but as a doorway to the main forum.
Of course the real test will be if the members of the Facebook page become active on the main forum.
That doesn't seem to be happening as yet, but wait a bit and see.

I no longer have access to some of the statistical information I had as a mod but a look at the forum index tells me that our last new member registered back in August last year.
Is that right?
If so, that is 'Tombstone Territory'

But the Facebook page is only one idea.
Anything to attract new members is worth a try.

Creating new threads is one idea, but folks have to find the place first.
In respect of that I'd like to see that 'General Discussion' thread split again into individual topics.
At the moment a discussion starts and stalls and is overtaken by another discussion and the topic is lost.

We're at the low point of the season in terms of participation. Things will no doubt pick up as the football starts, and the impression will be that 'everything's apples', but we have a serious underlying problem that takes precedence over all these other issues and that is the future and maintenance of the site.