Skip to main content
Topic: CSC Facebook Page (Read 5499 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from SPAM

Re: CSC Facebook Page

Reply #30
We now have a Facebook group 😎

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2003905929941294/?ref=share_group_link

I don’t know how to, but I’d envisage posting links to individual CSC Forum posts and hopefully getting some traffic to come here.
People here who are adverse to having their real names known would have no need to use the Facebook side.
Some people will only post/comment on Facebook and that’s ok.

What I’ve done is purely a “beta” it can be promoted, canned and/or I’m happy to add or hand over admin rights.

Robblues has suggested that admin/mods of CSC should send out a group email to the member database asking them to come back or a survey about why they do/don’t post anymore.

A penny for your thoughts please…

Onya NB
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Are we trying to get people here on FB?
Or are we trying to attract people to here from FB?

Reply #32
Following the link opens the page, but it's not appearing in FB or Google searches.

Without being logged into FB I tried an advanced Google search, but it doesn't show up yet so it is probably not yet indexed by Google. site:facebook.com Carlton Supporters Group

Of course there is a bunch of other FB Groups using the same basic name, not sure that helps.

You are correct about the google search, see my edit in the previous post.
Did you try a search from within fb @LP ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #34
I joined FB in 2010 because my 4WD club used it as their major communication tool.  I was reluctant at first but it worked quite well.  Now even my RSL has its own FB page.

I haven’t had any issues but I always ignore friend requests from young ladies with improbable names and even more improbable physiques 🙂

Not mentioning the name of the previous POTUS is another good way to avoid problems.

Apart from that, you have to watch what you say or you will be in FB gaol.  CSC is far more liberal in language and topics 🙂

It will be interesting to see how the FB page goes and whether it generates more interest in our forum 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
Are we trying to get people here on FB?
Or are we trying to attract people to here from FB?

I'd say the aim is to attract people here "through" facebook.

People searching for a Carlton fan page to join do a search...we show up as one of the options.
They join the Facebook page.
Once there they follow the link to the forum.

The problem at the moment is there are heaps of such sites.

We do show up if you search for "Carlton supporters" on facebook

If you do a Bing search "Carlton Supporters facebook" we're number 2 behind the clubs official facebook page.

Google- nothing as yet,  'crickets' at the moment.

Reply #36
I guess the first measure of success will be if we get a member on the facebook page who comes to it of their own accord and is not already a member or friend of a member of CSC.

Reply #37
You are correct about the google search, see my edit in the previous post.
Did you try a search from within fb @LP ?
Logged into FB I put Carlton Supporters Group in the FB search field but the site isn't one of the results.

However, one problem with FB is that search results and notifications are subject to the algorithm, so finding stuff isn't as straight forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
I just informed a former prolific poster here about the FB page and her response was 'Great, I'll join it now!"  Then she couldn't find the page  ::)

I sent her the link and she's awaiting approval.  It would be good if it entices her back here  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
I guess the first measure of success will be if we get a member on the facebook page who comes to it of their own accord and is not already a member or friend of a member of CSC.

There is at least one long lost former CSC member who has joined the fb group, so its a start.

DJC strikes again ! :D
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #40
I think it's quite specific until the algorithms catch up.
It's just 'Carlton Supporters Club' for now.
Do that search in Facebook and we're  the 2nd one down at present.

Reply #41
I think it's quite specific until the algorithms catch up.
It's just 'Carlton Supporters Club' for now.
Do that search in Facebook and we're  the 2nd one down at present.

Thats what I'm seeing too, but i'm the admin, so i'd guess I can't hide from the algorithms, and if you've visited prior to doing your search it'll have you pegged too Lods.
We've got 9 members now, i suspect every member will increase our "searchablility"
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #42
IT also shows you information based on your cookies so everyone might get different results if they come here a lot or a little.

As an aside, this is another way to hit up members who may want to become part of the forum:

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/fans/groups/

Clicking the tab for each state might get you in touch with people who are in touch with fans, and help swell the numbers.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #43
It's also probably worth stressing again that we face two issues- growing the forum, and the long term viability and maintenance....and we shouldn't lose sight of the second.

If we attract new members, we may also get a greater spread of skill base and thus potential technical people to assist. Perhaps also post out onto some IT / programming forums "are you interested in the Carlton Football Club - we have an opportunity for you" etc. Encourage them to tell their friends. One tells ten etc.

Reply #44
Without wanting to sound elitist or toff, the ONLY problem I see with a FB page is if it attracts the DH contingent of the rank and file supporters. Some of the stuff I have seen on some supporter Facebook pages ranges from irrational to down right abhorrent. Our site vets and moderates stuff extremely well, not sure how well it will work on FB. Perhaps I have this all wrong.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time