Skip to main content
Topic: The Brodie Kemp Conundrum (Read 744 times) previous topic - next topic

The Brodie Kemp Conundrum

Brodie Kemp was picked up in the 2019 draft but was unable to play a game in 2020 due to his recovery from a serious leg injury, since then, he has eked out a mere 6 senior games.

Classed as a key defender on the club's website, I'm not sure that is his 'real' position given he is only 193cm tall.  Some people are suggesting he will be added to the midfield brigade in 2023 but I'm not that sure about his tank and overall ability to play there.

From his limited senior appearances, he definitely showed some innate skills that could & should see him become a regular player for the club. However, the big question is where is his best position ??

We have way to many hbf's already and as mentioned before, is the midfield really his go ??

Kemp is one of a handful of the new brigade that I have very very high hopes for but I'm concerned that given his size, he may be used like Jack Silvagni has been in the past, the old fashioned 'utility' who plugs a gap anywhere on the field when there is the need.

For mine, if that does happen, then that may be the best way to ruin his career as he would never be settled into a permanent position and become a regular piece of the defensive unit or midfield etc.

I'm not aware of whether he can go forward or not but that is an option for the club to consider.

So, what are your expectations for Brodie Kemp this year and where do you see him being used (i.e. what is his best position) ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Brodie Kemp Conundrum

Reply #1
Given Kemp spent much of his first two seasons injured calls for his demise may be a tad alarmist.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Given Kemp spent much of his first two seasons injured calls for his demise may be a tad alarmist.

He would be needing a couple of games this year where he “stands out” in either individual brilliance or doing his job well.
Pending contract status he’s on the wrong side of the page at the moment you’d think.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #3
Given Kemp spent much of his first two seasons injured calls for his demise may be a tad alarmist.

Excuse me :

Kemp is one of a handful of the new brigade that I have very very high hopes for

Better call Specsavers LP !!!

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #4
Excuse me :

Better call Specsavers LP !!!
I didn't quote you because my comment is in general on the issue of Kemp and what the club should do with him, not specific to what you have posted. There will be fans calling for his demise just because he has been injured.

But like Gov and Marchbank, Kemp has clearly demonstrated the capacity to compete and win the football at AFL level. Something only about 1/3 of recruits ever manage to do! So given most careers are done and dusted in a year or two, I'd say blokes like that deserve 5 or 6 seasons before being written off.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Does the injury to Williams open a doors for Kemp??

Reply #6
I like what I'm seeing from the club and just develop him slowly and give him game on merit. He has talent to burn and dont think he is going anywhere in a hurry but would like to see him get 10-15 games under his belt this season. Manton was good for us but I think Kemp is a supercharged version of that and the club knows it.

Reply #7
Kemp from what I saw is capable enough as a defender (more intercept though) and has a good but of speed and a good user of the footy.  If he could get his tank up, he might make a good wingman but if at worst he's a Newman replacement we'll do okay out of it
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
If you watch the footage of our match simulations, Kemp plays as key defender, and does quite well.  He played as a key defender in his 4 games last season and, despite conceding size to his opponents, was an effective defender.  The problem is that he isn’t as effective as Weiters and Young.

He has played as a key forward in the VFL and I think that he kicked 3 goals in one game.  However, his best footy is played in defence.

I think that his best chance of earning a regular AFL gig is as a third tall defender. 

We played 8 defenders in Rd 23, including 4 talls.  Kemp won’t displace Young or Weiters but he has the attributes to play the roles filled by McGovern and Marchbank.  He’s probably a more complete footballer than both of them if he could recapture the marking ability that made him stand out as a junior.

Kemp is a conundrum; he has shown that he can play at AFL level but he’s 3rd banana in the role the club wants him to play.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Does the injury to Williams open a doors for Kemp??
Kemp has a bit of toe, a nice step, and good user. And not being that tall might be a very good replacement for Zac. Has intercepting as an extra string to the bow too. Just might not get as many possies as Zac who is pretty good in tight.

Reply #11
Kemp has a bit of toe, a nice step, and good user. 
His size, agility and acceleration are almost unique in the AFL, a bit like Blicsav.

Kemp should be given midfield rotations, very few have the size and speed to keep up with him, which works in our favour because if they have to guard Kemp they won't be running off Cripps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
If you watch the footage of our match simulations, Kemp plays as key defender, and does quite well.  He played as a key defender in his 4 games last season and, despite conceding size to his opponents, was an effective defender.  The problem is that he isn’t as effective as Weiters and Young.

He has played as a key forward in the VFL and I think that he kicked 3 goals in one game.  However, his best footy is played in defence.

I think that his best chance of earning a regular AFL gig is as a third tall defender. 

We played 8 defenders in Rd 23, including 4 talls.  Kemp won’t displace Young or Weiters but he has the attributes to play the roles filled by McGovern and Marchbank.  He’s probably a more complete footballer than both of them if he could recapture the marking ability that made him stand out as a junior.

Kemp is a conundrum; he has shown that he can play at AFL level but he’s 3rd banana in the role the club wants him to play.

All of that is true.
.....but i'd have him behind Marchbank doing the same role.
Who knows if McGovern is a forward or a defender this year too. Not sure they've had that coin toss yet.