Skip to main content
Topic: The Voice (Read 10350 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Voice

Reply #45
It's hard to judge politicians on a single agenda.

When we elect officials we elect them to perform as general purpose administrators. In recent years there have been some disastrous elections across local, state and federal politics, because social media tends to drive interest in myopic agendas. My own region is suffering badly with over half the local representation either elected on a single agenda platform, without disclosure of a myopic agenda or without disclosure of a political allegiance.
In a world seemingly devoid of common sense, compassion, empathy and integrity, she comes across (from what Ive seen) as possessing these qualities. I could be wrong, that's the impression I get.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
If there was a election tomorrow and Jacinta Nampijinpa Price was running for PM, I'd vote for her in a heat beat. I'd not  heard much about her prior to the Voice debate, what a breath of fresh air, the future of Australian politics I reckon. Thoughts?
Impressive though she has been, she has as much chance of being the leader of the Coalition as I have of lining up at full-forward in the first game next year.  She has served her purpose, and the Libs will ensure that normal service is resumed as soon as possible.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #47
Impressive though she has been, she has as much chance of being the leader of the Coalition as I have of lining up at full-forward in the first game next year.  She has served her purpose, and the Libs will ensure that normal service is resumed as soon as possible.
Well they need to read the room then.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #48
Well they need to read the room then.
The room has just told them that when it comes to Indigenous affairs, much of the country is either against it or doesn't want to know.  All the more reason why the thought of a female indigenous leader in charge of the Liberal party would be electoral suicide.  
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #49
You can certainly quibble about whether such a referendum was necessary at this point, but once the decision was made, the opportunity should've been taken. We seem to lack the confidence, ethics and maturity to deal with adult issues in an adult way, so the end result is that we are once again hostage to inertia, ostrich behaviour, political opportunism and all the rest.

Reply #50
Besides this very thread, i don't think i've come across any talk about this in my everyday life apart from at home.

I don't watch regular TV, listen to morning radio or AM stations and avoid the paper and news like the plague.
I am not alone in that. I think thats why the vote of No got up.

The government simply let too many people 'slip through the cracks' in their 'marketing'.
They expected people to seek out information, rather than bombard them at every turn. People are lazy and simply did not.
The No vote was a vote of ignorance, nothing else. The government is to blame for that IMO.

Reply #51
The room has just told them that when it comes to Indigenous affairs, much of the country is either against it or doesn't want to know.  All the more reason why the thought of a female indigenous leader in charge of the Liberal party would be electoral suicide. 
I disagree, I think the is plenty of drive to reduce "the gap", we just have to bloody well listen to the right people for a change, people like Jacinta Price. Don't need a constitution change for that, Albanese could make changes tomorrow.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #52
The room has just told them that when it comes to Indigenous affairs, much of the country is either against it or doesn't want to know.  All the more reason why the thought of a female indigenous leader in charge of the Liberal party would be electoral suicide. 

Why so you say that?  Because no won?  This doesn't make the country against indigenous affairs or for it.  It makes the nation unconvinced that the yes no referendum would make any difference and would simply lead to another mouth feeding at the trough of politics. 

You can certainly quibble about whether such a referendum was necessary at this point, but once the decision was made, the opportunity should've been taken. We seem to lack the confidence, ethics and maturity to deal with adult issues in an adult way, so the end result is that we are once again hostage to inertia, ostrich behaviour, political opportunism and all the rest.

Another one who seems to think that the outcome of a poorly articulated and scoped referendum not getting up says more about the public than those in parliament proposing this rubbish.

What were we actually voting for?  The answer is nothing. It's wel known that the indigenous people don't have one united voice.  They have multiple languages, tribes, and people.  One voice was never going to be sufficient but i heard from the minister of Indigenous affairs last week, and instantly thought to myself should this seat not be our indigenous voice to parliament?

What about the democratic process means the indigenous people have no voice?

What is stopping the indigenous people from forming a party for this reason and running for election?

We are currently in the midst of one of the poorest economic situations the country has seen during my lifetime, and we have just thrown 100s of millions away on a referendum that has no scope.

That is political suicide.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
Good to see Victoria leading the way with the yes vote, with NSW not far behind. As for Queensland, red necks to the bitter end.

Reply #54
Why so you say that?  Because no won?  This doesn't make the country against indigenous affairs or for it.  It makes the nation unconvinced that the yes no referendum would make any difference and would simply lead to another mouth feeding at the trough of politics. 

Another one who seems to think that the outcome of a poorly articulated and scoped referendum not getting up says more about the public than those in parliament proposing this rubbish.

What were we actually voting for?  The answer is nothing. It's wel known that the indigenous people don't have one united voice.  They have multiple languages, tribes, and people.  One voice was never going to be sufficient but i heard from the minister of Indigenous affairs last week, and instantly thought to myself should this seat not be our indigenous voice to parliament?

What about the democratic process means the indigenous people have no voice?

What is stopping the indigenous people from forming a party for this reason and running for election?

We are currently in the midst of one of the poorest economic situations the country has seen during my lifetime, and we have just thrown 100s of millions away on a referendum that has no scope.

That is political suicide.

There was plenty of material out there if you care to look, that gives careful and considered explanations on all matters relating to the Voice. I certainly don't blame the politicians. That's a total cop out in my view.

The Voice was intended to be the first step in a multi step process that addressees issues relating to First Nations people. I cannot think of one single good reason to vote no. I can think of several bad ones with very little effort.

Reply #55
There was plenty of material out there if you care to look, that gives careful and considered explanations on all matters relating to the Voice. I certainly don't blame the politicians. That's a total cop out in my view.

The Voice was intended to be the first step in a multi step process that addressees issues relating to First Nations people. I cannot think of one single good reason to vote no. I can think of several bad ones with very little effort.

The majority of Australians disagree Paul.

I based most of my decision making listening to last week's televised show where Lydia Thorpe and Jacinta Nampijinpa Price were chatting with Ray Martin about indigenous affairs, and the referendum including all the bells and whistles.

I have to say, that they made a lot more compelling points on reasons to vote no, and the yes vote had no substance to add to the debate.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
My first feeling, when it was obvious the 'No' had won, was one of sorrow; a feeling that we shrank a little as a nation.

Those who sowed the seeds of fear, doubt and confusion won the day... except in geographical areas of higher education. But they were aided by a 'wobbly' approach from the affirmative side.

Seemed to me, and I did comment on this at the time, that the 'Yes' campaign relied on slogans, sound bites and lovely PR. Big mistake, as it played right into the stronghold of the other side who then hijacked the campaign with aplomb, making it political. Even the lead slogan 'The Voice' - very 70s campaign style - was too nebulous and open to all manner of interpretation and manipulation ... should have been something like, 'Inclusion,' (if you're going the slogan road) something that encapsulated the 'spirit' of the proposed change.

Anyway, much learned from many angles about our people and **cough, splutter** leaders! Here's to a better, more informed and effective crack at it next time.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
The majority of Australians disagree Paul.

I based most of my decision making listening to last week's televised show where Lydia Thorpe and Jacinta Nampijinpa Price were chatting with Ray Martin about indigenous affairs, and the referendum including all the bells and whistles.

I have to say, that they made a lot more compelling points on reasons to vote no, and the yes vote had no substance to add to the debate.

The majority of Australians have shown their hand, and I'll leave it that.

I've listened to the Indigenous speakers on the no side, and whilst I can see some of the points they make, I think their overall strategy is wrong, and their ends would have been better off with a yes vote.

Reply #58
Fair dinkum...there is some absolutely absurd judgements being made.

The reasons for voting 'No' were widespread and diverse.
There is no intellectual superiority in the 'Yes' case.
That's purely a personal opinion, and perhaps that arrogance is arguably one of the reasons the case was lost.

If the question had been...."Do you think first nations people should be recognised in the constitution?... it would have romped in".

The fact is that indigenous folks have a Voice.
It's a strong voice.
It's heard often.
You only have to look at indigenous input on both sides of the debate.
It was impressive...yes, even Lydia Thorpe (who may be a bit out there, but who is a strong and commited advocate for her people)
But it is a diverse voice.

Many government departments at both a state and federal level have an indigenous input...its especially so in things like education and health
If you think governments aren't aware of the problems indigenous folk face you're mistaken.
They're well aware of issues and locations.

The Voice isn't the problem...it's the Ears.
The voice is loud and clear.
It needs to be listened to, and there need to be a willingness by governments to close that gap.
...and we've just wasted a heap of money that could have been better spent

Reply #59
Mostly right Lods.

There was geographical data that showed the further away from the capital cities you got, the more votes the NO side got.
Thats a pretty clear example of intellectual lines.

Sure, its not that cut and dry, but the data shows it.

From my own experiences it rings true as well.

On my 4000km road trip from Melbourne to Brisbane (via sydney) and back you were exposed to all kinds of different people.
For the large part, in cities you would see "Yes" signage. Either the old board in the front yard, or a flyer on a shop window, all pointed to yes.

THen you get out into the countryside, you see graffitied  bridges with "Vote No" everywhere. Some bed sheets tied up to a fence saying similar. Opposite messages, and a little more crudely written than the bigger cities.

Back to the next major city and the cycle repeats.

Thats not painting everyone with the same brush, and i never made this statement to begin with, but i do believe it to be true.