Skip to main content
Topic: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb (Read 2915 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

Reply #30
Hewett and Kennedy are showing what we missed in the last 2 games☹️☹️☹️
Just wrote the same in my notes from the game
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Here's a test for the lads, Filth coming hard in the last, can they hold on?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #32
Had they have kicked straight in the last (at the scoring end) the Filth would have won comfortably.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #33
10 pt win
Things to work on:
Goal Kicking TDK, SOS
Stop leading to pockets, makes every shot a difficult one
General composure entering I50, slow dow, select the option and execute
TDK needs to do more around the ground, he is mobile, use it. He does the difficult stuff well and the easy stuff poorly
Loopy kicks into the fwd line
Zone off/positioning seems untidy
Ground ball cleanliness
Disposal to players under pressure saw this 10-15 times in just the first half
Tall Defenders need to come across and spoil the tall fwd
Acres needs to tidy up disposal
Cowan needs to stop star gazing (as in watching his idols), you belong, hunt the footy. (Just as I type this, he attacks a loose ball hard with intent, very nice)
Lewis Young cannot be relied upon to go fwd
Lewis Young is not strong enoug for big power fwds, monstered by McStay who isn’t a monster
Ed C ooked lost
Plowman is an enigma
Umps needs to watch the scragging and hold of Cripps at stoppages

Positives:
No injuries
Hollands will be a ripper
Bam Bam and George very important to us
Cripps looks the goods..again

Wish we could play premiership point games at Ikon
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #34
Had they have kicked straight in the last (at the scoring end) the Filth would have won comfortably.
Or, by contrast, if we kicked straight going that end in the 3rd qtr we would have won comfortably.

A real windy day at Carlton back in the day, it used to howl towards the right point post. When that happens it is not to easy kick straight there, as the last half showed. Did well to hold on there for what it's worth.

Liked De Koning, Kennedy and Motlop.

Reply #35
Stop leading to pockets, makes every shot a difficult one
Maybe, just maybe, given during the proper season the targets will be BigH and Charlie, who seem to prefer bending the footy around corners, having a game plan that leads into pockets is not a bad thing!

With BigH and Charlie, I can't say I'm as confident of them 30m in front, as I am when they a 30m in a pocket.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Ground ball cleanliness
I have to say, with the exception of Cripps and Judd, perhaps now Walsh, this is one area we have never been strong at!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Acres will be a good player for us....disposal early on was sketchy but he runs hard.

Didn't get to see all of the game but Mirkov still looks a mile off. We're definitely better with both TDK and Pittonet playing.

Reply #38
Was it just me or did anyone else notice cripps motion to the bench in the last few minutes and run/limped off. Also appear to limp in the after game chat with the pies boys.

Gosh i hope we dont hear anything about this

Reply #40
Kemp not listed anywhere?

He's in the VFL squad along with Dow, Carroll, Pittonet, Binns, S Durdin, O'Keeffe and Akuei.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
Maybe, just maybe, given during the proper season the targets will be BigH and Charlie, who seem to prefer bending the footy around corners, having a game plan that leads into pockets is not a bad thing!

With BigH and Charlie, I can't say I'm as confident of them 30m in front, as I am when they a 30m in a pocket.
Fark around the corners
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42

Liked De Koning, Kennedy and Motlop.
Didnt think much of De Koning at all, as I said does the simple stuff poorly. I can see him playing distracted all year as he ponders his contract. I might be wrong, we'll see.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Slow motion game in the heat as you would expect, thought Hollands made a handy start and is a active busy smaller mid.
Getting the band back together ie Kennedy and Hewett with Cripps makes such a difference to how we operate and good to see Hewett moving freely with no back issues so maybe Russell can get a tick for that.
Acres...gets plenty of ball and runs everywhere but he needs to get a bit closer to his man and also watch his kicking, seems to kick a few loopy ones that hang in the air and dont travel far inviting other teams to pick them off.
Thought TDK did some good things and Id still be backing him to be my No 1 ruckman.
Not a lot you can really gauge from either team imho given the conditions and for me they looked evenly matched, main thing is no injuries and a couple of our newbies looked promising.
For Collingwood they would have been happy with McStay who I dont rate but he seemed to fit in with their working class no brand name forward setup.
Cowan vs Cincotta.......undecided at this stage to who I think will be more likely to debut first.....

Reply #44
my take nothing has changed from 2022 season going into F50 ,kicking to a contest ,kicking it to outnumbered forward eg LOB kicking to charlie wen outnumbered. One question did or has any of our  rucks ever ever gone back to take a intercept mark in defence TDK should be doing this not only taking marks going forward