Skip to main content
Topic: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb (Read 2934 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

Reply #60
I think Dow played in the VFL only. He must be pretty low in the pecking order, and you'd think only significant injury to other mids or a major volte face by the MC will see him much in the 1's.

Reply #62
Recruits impress as Blues hold off Magpies in quality practice match hitout, SEN.com.au.

Historical rivals Carlton and Collingwood treated their fans to a quality contest in their unofficial pre-season match at Ikon Park on Friday.
In a game that was played in warm and windy summer conditions, Carlton - unlike like they did in Round 23 - held off Collingwood in the last quarter to prevail, this time by a score of 84-74.
With the result so close, each side of fans would have been happy with how their club performed with both outfits looking like teams that will be hard to beat heading into 2023.
Like most pre-season matches, plenty of the focus surrounded new recruits and the likes of Blake Acres, Dan McStay, Tom Mitchell, Billy Frampton and Bobby Hill all had their moments to prove they can make an early impact for their sides.
For Carlton, they again looked dominant around stoppage and with such a powerful forward line, proved incredibly hard to stop when their entries were deep and direct.
For Collingwood, they proved that they'll be willing to lose to win again in 2023 as they used the ball in quick transition with dare to score freely in quick bursts.
But much like last season, those risks didn't always pay off, with Carlton scoring off turnovers in dangerous positions on multiple occasions.
Perhaps most importantly, it looks like both sides escaped any notable injuries. Check out the key talking points for both teams below. 

Carlton
Young Blues look big improvers
After coming so close to playing finals in 2022, Carlton look like they've had some internal growth from within heading into 2023.
Some of that natural improvement looks like it'll come from some young guns, with Adam Cerra and Tom De Koning performing brilliantly on Friday.
We've already seen what Cerra can do at the top level, but the on-baller looked even more assured and classier than he has previously.
As for De Koning, he looked perhaps the game's best player in the first term with some eye-catching highlights.
The ruck/forward has one of the highest ceilings in the league and if Friday's performance is anything to go by, he could make some serious strides in reaching it this season.
Additions help resolve key weakness
In Carlton's two losses to Collingwood in 2023, their key issue was often the wings with Steele Sidebottom and Josh Daicos having big says in both of those results.
The addition of Blake Acres was earmarked to plug that hole and from Friday's game, it looks like he'll do just that.
The experienced outside player is a walk up starter and looks to be a key contributor right away.
On the other wing, youngster Ollie Hollands looks like he can impact early on. If he grows into the player Carlton hopes, one of their biggest flaws may have been resolved.
Buy Jesse Motlop stock
After showing flashes last season, Jesse Motlop looks like he's primed for a breakout 2023.
One of the key questions surrounding Carlton was their lack of a star small forward, and while Motlop might not be there yet, he looks a player that can develop into one.
Motlop possesses all the traits you want from a small inside 50 and you could see the fear he put into Collingwood defenders on multiple occasions on Friday. He will be a fun watch for Carlton fans.

FINAL SCORE
Carlton: 5.1, 7.5, 11.9, 12.12. (84) Collingwood: 2.1, 8.1, 9.3, 11.8. (74)
GOALS
Carlton: McKay 3, De Koning, Hewett, Acres, C. Curnow, Hollands, Kennedy, Honey, O'Brien, Cripps Collingwood: McStay. 3, Adams 2, McCreery, Cameron, De Goy, Howe, Hill
BEST
Carlton: Saad, McKay, Cerra, De Koning, Hewett Collingwood: De Goey, McStay, Pendlebury, Howe, Crisp

Reply #63
I think others noticed how many of our forward entries were high... on a number of occasions it appeared that blokes paused and intentionally launched it high, perhaps a conscious effort to maximise height and limit the need for small forward input seeing how we were missing a couple of our prime small forwards. Just a thought.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #64
I think others noticed how many of our forward entries were high... on a number of occasions it appeared that blokes paused and intentionally launched it high, perhaps a conscious effort to maximise height and limit the need for small forward input seeing how we were missing a couple of our prime small forwards. Just a thought.
I think it's the opposite.

Kick it high so the tallest bloke back there (harry), and the guys with the biggest leaps (Charlie and tdk) can get an advantage.
Of course that also allows us time for the small forwards to get to the drop of the ball if we can't get to it.

Reply #65
I think it's the opposite.

Kick it high so the tallest bloke back there (harry), and the guys with the biggest leaps (Charlie and tdk) can get an advantage.
Of course that also allows us time for the small forwards to get to the drop of the ball if we can't get to it.

I don't think that's the opposite, the point is it seemed to be a conscious decision to set it up high (for whatever reason) which you seem to be acknowledging or agree with.

Reply #66
I was quite happy with the performance.
There seemed to be a reasonable amount of intensity for a practice game.
Yep, nothing like a real match, but both sides were having a dip.
We shouldn't forget, much as it pains me to say it, that the opposition are a very good side and are probably one of three we'll be playing against in the last couple of games of the year ;)  :D

It was a clear the cobwebs, lets try a few things game.
Our best ruckman was playing seconds football.
We'll be better for the run.

Reply #67
I don't think that's the opposite, the point is it seemed to be a conscious decision to set it up high (for whatever reason) which you seem to be acknowledging or agree with.
Sorry, didn't explain which part i was referring too.

The opposite part was i feel it brings our small forwards into the game. You were suggesting we were doing that because we couldn't rely on them.

Reply #68
Glenn MacFarlane from the HS doing his player reviews:
'Jack Silvagni - The son-of-a-gun was solid as the back-up ruck to TDK, will be interesting to see what happens when Pittonet returns to full health.' 
Thought Mirkov was the backup ruckman!!! JSOS was predominantly a forward??  Did I get that wrong??

Reply #69
Sorry, didn't explain which part i was referring too.

The opposite part was i feel it brings our small forwards into the game. You were suggesting we were doing that because we couldn't rely on them.

Apologies, yep, I can see how you gathered that from my post. I wasn't sure why, just that it seemed a definite strategy, rather than just panicky bombs into the forward line.

Reply #70
Glenn MacFarlane from the HS doing his player reviews:
'Jack Silvagni - The son-of-a-gun was solid as the back-up ruck to TDK, will be interesting to see what happens when Pittonet returns to full health.' 
Thought Mirkov was the backup ruckman!!! JSOS was predominantly a forward??  Did I get that wrong??

Mirkov and De Koning were rarely on the ground together and Jack competed in quite a few ruck contests around the ground.  However, Jack was mainly used as a tall forward, except for the latter part of the last quarter when he was an extra man in defence - Vossy wasn't going to let the Pies steal another win.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
Mirkov and De Koning were rarely on the ground together and Jack competed in quite a few ruck contests around the ground.  However, Jack was mainly used as a tall forward, except for the latter part of the last quarter when he was an extra man in defence - Vossy wasn't going to let the Pies steal another win.

Jack of all trades. I value his versatility.  Coupled with his nous and navy heart, he's such an asset.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #72
As one of the commentators said, defenders love it when its kicked in high like that. Gives the talls time to get across in numbers and either kill it or intercept. Just a useless tactic for mine:
- spoils the often hard work up the ground to get into the position to go going inside 50.
- risk of injury to your Rolls Royces by getting crunched in packs.
More low and precise entry is the go, our Rollers have more than enough skill and speed to make position to receive it, we have the mids now who can do precision.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #73
As one of the commentators said, defenders love it when its kicked in high like that. Gives the talls time to get across in numbers and either kill it or intercept. Just a useless tactic for mine:
- spoils the often hard work up the ground to get into the position to go going inside 50.
- risk of injury to your Rolls Royces by getting crunched in packs.
More low and precise entry is the go, our Rollers have more than enough skill and speed to make position to receive it, we have the mids now who can do precision.
Yep, fully agree, bombing the ball usually happens when there is no movement in your forward line and your mids are under pressure and just slamming the ball on the boot. It was a scrappy first hitout and neither team reached any great level in terms of method imho which is too be expected. Id expect to see more clean entries and delivery in the practice games proper and we will get a better idea if anything has changed game plan wise.
In the good old days of premiership glories we never won any pre season games and looked like the players were still on Mad Monday duty but come round 1 we were ready to go and usually very sharp so I wouldnt get too stuck on pre season game form and would rather see us go easy in the pre season games to protect our Rollers but have a full list to choose from come round 1.

Reply #74
Did anyone know that Collingwood trained for the last 3 minute "scenarios" last year???   Not sure that the commentators mentioned it enough - it was only about every 2nd sentence.