Skip to main content
Topic: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb (Read 2920 times) previous topic - next topic

Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

11am Ikon Park. It’s actually down as an unofficial match sim (4x25min quarters). The official practice match is on the following Friday v Sydney at 7.10pm at Blacktown.

Though it’s an unofficial match sim, it will be broadcast on FoxFooty and KAYO. I’ve checked it out and it seems to be live on FoxFooty (while the North v Richmond match sim which starts before ours will be replayed after ours finishes).

Like our match sim, Sydney v Brisbane will be 4x25mins, no extra time. Every other match sim will have 6 “quarters” with Geelong v Hawthorn having 8x28 plus time on. It seems we’re not so interested in giving our seconds & VFL players a hit out (or maybe we’re going to be resting a lot of our 1st 22).

Re: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

Reply #1
11am Ikon Park. It’s actually down as an unofficial match sim (4x25min quarters). The official practice match is on the following Friday v Sydney at 7.10pm at Blacktown.

Though it’s an unofficial match sim, it will be broadcast on FoxFooty and KAYO. I’ve checked it out and it seems to be live on FoxFooty (while the North v Richmond match sim which starts before ours will be replayed after ours finishes).

Like our match sim, Sydney v Brisbane will be 4x25mins, no extra time. Every other match sim will have 6 “quarters” with Geelong v Hawthorn having 8x28 plus time on. It seems we’re not so interested in giving our seconds & VFL players a hit out (or maybe we’re going to be resting a lot of our 1st 22).
We are playing VFL and VFLW intraclub practice matches straight after the AFL game, I gather that is why we don't have 6ths.

Sorry I wasn't up to speed, it seems that plan has been scratched.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
11am ? Thats kinda sad hope there is a replay,

Reply #3
It's a dancing with your sister game, hopefully the replay is just a Kayo Mini!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
We are playing VFL and VFLW intraclub practice matches straight after the AFL game, I gather that is why we don't have 6ths.

Cancelled due to the heat?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5

I've shuffled my schedule around to accommodate feet up at 11am.  :D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
I thought Dancing with Your Sister games were intraclub matches. But even then, sibling rivalry would heat up and see Santy kick Cloke up the clacker. Surely, playing against the Pies takes it out of that category, especially since the last game we played ended with Collingwood coming from behind to win by a point and throw us out of the finals.

On FoxFooty, it will be relayed at 4pm IIRC and you can IQ it or stream it anyway. Don’t know about KAYO though.

Reply #7
I thought Dancing with Your Sister games were intraclub matches. But even then, sibling rivalry would heat up and see Santy kick Cloke up the clacker. Surely, playing against the Pies takes it out of that category, especially since the last game we played ended with Collingwood coming from behind to win by a point and throw us out of the finals.

On FoxFooty, it will be relayed at 4pm IIRC and you can IQ it or stream it anyway. Don’t know about KAYO though.
Kayo takes the foxfooty feeds. Can watch it live, or watch the replay whenever you feel the need. No need to IQ it.
Kayo allows you to watch anything whenever you want. Just won't allow you to keep it indefinitely as everything has an expiration date.

Reply #8
That'll be 8.00am over here.....perfect....feet up over breakfast watching the footy!!! Working from home DOES have advantages.

Reply #9

That image sprang to mind when I was reading through the discussion of practice matches.

The boot up the date followed a fairly hefty hit to the head and Setanta must have been just a tad p1ssed off with Cloke.

When I watched a recent match sim, I noticed Crippa deliver a very late bump to an unsuspecting Chugga.  Chugga went after Cripps and bumped him.  At the next break in play, they gave each other a fist bump and moved on.  That’s what you want to see in an intra-club situation, and that’s why they don’t fully replicate a match against genuine opposition … unless you’re Setanta 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Cancelled due to the heat?
Maybe, but they have now scheduled full practice matches for both VFL and VFLW anyway, so it's not like they are going to be short of game time.

Anyway, given our parlous injury state as it is currently published, we might struggle to field a VFL team on the same day as the AFL! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11

The VFL game is going ahead - several of the players in the AFL squad are going to back up in the VFL game.

The squad is:
1   Jack   Silvagni
3   Jesse   Motlop
4   Lochie   O'Brien*
5   Adam   Cerra
7   Matthew   Kennedy*
9   Patrick   Cripps
10   Harry   McKay
12   Tom   De Koning
13   Blake   Acres
14   Oliver   Hollands*
15   Sam   Docherty
20   Lachie   Plowman*
23   Jacob   Weitering
24   Nic   Newman
25   Zac   Fisher
26   Lachlan   Cowan
29   George   Hewett
30   Charlie   Curnow
33   Lewis   Young
35   Ed   Curnow
36   Josh   Honey*
39   Alex   Cincotta*
42   Adam   Saad
45   Alex   Mirkov*

Asterix (not the Gaul) means playing in both games.

Pitto, Big Durds, Dow and Kemp are just playing in the VFL.

Reply #12

For an insight into who the coaches have as 1's players...

Here is the 17 players playing 1's only
and 7 players playing both (which you'd think makes them fighting for a spot)

FB - Newman - Weitering - Plowman
HB - Saad - Young - Docherty
C - Acres - Cripps - O'Brien
HF - Fisher - C. Curnow - Kennedy
FF - Silvagni - McKay - Motlop
R - De Koning - Cerra - Hewitt
INT - E. Curnow - Cowan - Honey - Hollands - Cincotta - Mirkov

Players not playing in either...
Walsh
McGovern
Marchbank
Martin
Cuningham
Owies
C. Durdin
Fogarty
Boyd
Cottrell
Lemmey

Reply #13
For an insight into who the coaches have as 1's players...

Here is the 17 players playing 1's only
and 7 players playing both (which you'd think makes them fighting for a spot)

FB - Newman - Weitering - Plowman
HB - Saad - Young - Docherty
C - Acres - Cripps - O'Brien
HF - Fisher - C. Curnow - Kennedy
FF - Silvagni - McKay - Motlop
R - De Koning - Cerra - Hewitt
INT - E. Curnow - Cowan - Honey - Hollands - Cincotta - Mirkov

Players not playing in either...
Walsh
McGovern
Marchbank
Martin
Cuningham
Owies
C. Durdin
Fogarty
Boyd
Cottrell
Lemmey

I’m not sure how much you can extrapolate from  team selection for an unofficial practice match.  Selection in one or both squads may depend more on where players are at with their fitness and training loads than on whether they’re pencilled in for Round 1.

The team selected for the practice match against the Swans should be closer to the mark, but I wouldn’t rule out an unexpected selection or two for Round 1.

A lot will depend on whether “automatic” selections like Martin, MGovern and Pittonet get up.

Reply #14
I’m not sure how much you can extrapolate from  team selection for an unofficial practice match.  Selection in one or both squads may depend more on where players are at with their fitness and training loads than on whether they’re pencilled in for Round 1.

The team selected for the practice match against the Swans should be closer to the mark, but I wouldn’t rule out an unexpected selection or two for Round 1.

A lot will depend on whether “automatic” selections like Martin, MGovern and Pittonet get up.
FWIW, Pittonet is playing VFL....but is still on the recovery side of things.

Other than that, the 17 selected would probably be best 22 based on the players we have available, so i don't think our side can get much better with what we have at our disposal.
Who is playing VFL that you would have in the 1's at the expense of one of those 17?