Skip to main content
Topic: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb (Read 2917 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

Reply #45
One question did or has any of our  rucks ever ever gone back to take a intercept mark in defence TDK should be doing this not only taking marks going forward
I didn't see today, but when he is fit and can cover the ground, dropping into the D50 hot zone is one of Pitto's strengths.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
Was it just me or did anyone else notice cripps motion to the bench in the last few minutes and run/limped off. Also appear to limp in the after game chat with the pies boys.
Gosh i hope we dont hear anything about this

Reported on AFL.com;
Good news for Carlton fans with Patrick Cripps seemingly OK after he sent a minor scare through the Blues camp in the dying stages of their match against Collingwood.
The Brownlow Medallist limped from the field before quickly waving away the attentions of doctors, with the Blues later downplaying the severity of his injury.
"He rolled his ankle. He hobbled off the ground, but he was walking around in the rooms and he was handing footballs out (to fans) after the game, so we're pretty sure he's going to be fine," Carlton assistant Tim Clarke said afterwards.

Reply #47
Just watched a few highlights, impressed by the change in TDKs body, looks uber strong, has added a harder edge yet maintained agility and pace.

Reminds me of when SoJ became the competitive man he is now, that first pre-season they lose the puppy fat and turn into carved granite.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
I think the club said won't change game plan - I know we are good forward of centre most of the time but looking forward to how we position defensively against top four sides. Collingwood barely had any players missing we had 13 that were not conditioned to play this game. Thats way too many.

Reply #49
I think the club said won't change game plan - I know we are good forward of centre most of the time but looking forward to how we position defensively against top four sides. Collingwood barely had any players missing

we had 13 that were not conditioned to play this game. Thats way too many.

Seems to be the Carlton way 🤕
Always a long list of wounded warriors in the sick bay.

I just hope we get a little luck swing our way this year. Enough to cover injuries at crucial times and make finals.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
Apart from that 15 minute 2nd qtr lapse (hope it's the last time I write about lapses conceding multiple goals this season!!), I thought we controlled the game pretty well, once the game slowed and it became a hard contest we were better... especially considering the missing personnel.

The newbies -- Acres, Cincotta, Cowan & Hollands -- put in well.

Acres will slot in beautifully on the wing, the other wing is up for grabs. I like the look of Hollands.

Cincotta gave us what we know of him, a strong attack/contest and good disposal. Likewise, Cowan showed good attack on aggot and man with effective disposal... one disposal in particular was sublime, a long pinpoint pass to a marking forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #51
It's already been said, but, sheesh we missed Hewett and Kennedy late last year.

Reply #52
Mirkov, considering it was a 'near' senior game, seems to have grown in terms of ability and reading the game... but... still a fair way to go.

Reply #53
For those asking about Kemp......VFL squad only.

Reply #54
Apart from that 15 minute 2nd qtr lapse (hope it's the last time I write about lapses conceding multiple goals this season!!), I thought we controlled the game pretty well, once the game slowed and it became a hard contest we were better... especially considering the missing personnel.

The newbies -- Acres, Cincotta, Cowan & Hollands -- put in well.

Acres will slot in beautifully on the wing, the other wing is up for grabs. I like the look of Hollands.

Cincotta gave us what we know of him, a strong attack/contest and good disposal. Likewise, Cowan showed good attack on aggot and man with effective disposal... one disposal in particular was sublime, a long pinpoint pass to a marking forward.

Thanks for your keen observations Baggers. I didn't see the match at all.

FWIW I've got Cincotta pencilled in to play 18+ games. I'm hoping he'll be our Tom Stewart type recruit 🤞
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #55
Not really a lot to get out of the game today. Probably only going at 80% all round....plus the hot weather doesn't help.

But a couple things worth mentioning IMO.

- Motlop and Honey might surprise a few in terms of games played this year. In 2022, Owies and Durdin were both favoured over those 2 for the small forward role but that might flip on its head this year.
- Docherty and Ed may be options to run through the midfield, but i would have plenty ahead of them in that role. Much prefer Docherty permanently back as he looked a little lost a couple of times. Ed, obviously has a lot of cobwebs he has to blow off first, but there might be a bit more than first thought.
- Cincotta may not have done a lot, but he does the right things and seemed to be at ease with the pace. A dodge/baulk here, and a quick hand to stop a handball out of a stoppage there....little things that show me he could go ok if/when he gets a callup.
- Acres....got enough of the ball. Was not terrible with it like some seem to have suggested. Runs both ways and does a job. Good get.
- Kennedy+Hewitt need to stay fit. Very important for our success/depth through the midfield. If those 2 are the 'backups' to Cripps, Walsh, Cerra.....then we will give teams a lot of headaches because they are about as good '4th and 5th' midfielders going round.

Reply #56
Jack      a couple of nice things but thought he was a bit selfish today which is unusual?
Motlop      seemed to be round the pill a bit today and did OK
O'Brien      serviceable
Cerra      real good
Kennedy      plays in the last game last year and we win it.
Cripps      nice game by the champ
McKay      pretty happy with his output
TDK      started off like a rocket but quiet after 1st
Acres      pretty good. Sloppy disposal at times (fits right in)
Hollands   Kid was OK some sort of future there
Doc      didn't really notice him much
Plowman      a typical Plowman game. For the most part good with sprinklings of chaos
Weitering   super consistent
Newman      good
Fisher      quiet I thought
Cowan      look ok for a first gamer. More potential?
Hewett      plays in the last game last year and we win it.
Curnow   C   looked a bit flat. May not travel too well in the heat
Young      Outsized by McStay but had a crack
Curnow E   really out of touch, understandably
Honey      will need to have more of an impact if he wants a game
Saad      pretty quiet by his standards but not a worry
Mirkov      raw
Cincotta   of all the newbies, impressed me the most

Reckon we had about 4-5 senior players out today so did not do too bad. Think Pies only had Miochek out? My only gripe is the bombs into the forward line which looks like will always be part of our game plan. Bar the 15mins in the 2nd think we pretty much controlled the whole game.

Reply #57
Not really a lot to get out of the game today. Probably only going at 80% all round....plus the hot weather doesn't help.

But a couple things worth mentioning IMO.

- Motlop and Honey might surprise a few in terms of games played this year. In 2022, Owies and Durdin were both favoured over those 2 for the small forward role but that might flip on its head this year.
- Docherty and Ed may be options to run through the midfield, but i would have plenty ahead of them in that role. Much prefer Docherty permanently back as he looked a little lost a couple of times. Ed, obviously has a lot of cobwebs he has to blow off first, but there might be a bit more than first thought.
- Cincotta may not have done a lot, but he does the right things and seemed to be at ease with the pace. A dodge/baulk here, and a quick hand to stop a handball out of a stoppage there....little things that show me he could go ok if/when he gets a callup.
- Acres....got enough of the ball. Was not terrible with it like some seem to have suggested. Runs both ways and does a job. Good get.
- Kennedy+Hewitt need to stay fit. Very important for our success/depth through the midfield. If those 2 are the 'backups' to Cripps, Walsh, Cerra.....then we will give teams a lot of headaches because they are about as good '4th and 5th' midfielders going round.

Agree on Docherty, I didnt say Acres was terrible, just that some of his kicks were up and under floaters and he could improve on that. He would be a lock for round 1, I also like the look of Hollands and would have him on the other wing in round 1, has way more upside than our other wing candidates.

Reply #58
One hears the term "spiritual leader" bandied about from to time in the AFL, and Docherty would be our spiritual leader IMO.

Reply #59
EB...I reckon if Hollands plays in the practice game next week against Sydney and plays well, he'll be in for Round 1.

Was there any reason for Dow not playing today....or is he playing in the VFL game?