Skip to main content
Topic: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb (Read 2933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

Reply #75
Did anyone know that Collingwood trained for the last 3 minute "scenarios" last year???  Not sure that the commentators mentioned it enough - it was only about every 2nd sentence.
The problem with that scenario is that you have to be close to make it work 50/50.

Sure I get the ideology, for the Filth to win more than it's fair share of crap shoots. But last season and the season before we've had a bit of a habit of letting 6 or 7 goal leads slip in multiple games, if we stop that then the last 3 minutes become largely irrelevant, so for me our problem isn't the last 3 minutes but the 25 minutes before.

Really, if the Filth rely on that strategy, in the long term they will become the next Ninthmond which is a death by a thousand cuts. I don't want that for Carlton, I want the old Carlton, the one that was game over in the 3rd!

As much as I hate Dangerfield's Handbaggers, and despise the whinging whining coach, I love the way they manage and control the game and there are lessons to be learned from that clinical professionalism. In last years GF, Sindney were like bugs stuck in a river of molasses while trying to swim upstream.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
Did anyone know that Collingwood trained for the last 3 minute "scenarios" last year???   Not sure that the commentators mentioned it enough - it was only about every 2nd sentence. 
Nathan Buckley was on SEN the other morning talking about the Super Bowl and how well the NFL teams control the clock. They train it to perfection and everyone knows their role in those scenarios. He went to say they we can't control the clock as well in AFL because our game is all about transition. When you take a mark, you have seconds before you need to move it on, you get a free, same thing seconds and you need to move it on.
I think we were extremely poor last year in those games where we lost it in the end during the final minutes. It was as if we never trained it, even basics, around what we would do in the final minutes to hold a slender lead or pinch a game that was in the balance. In fact, we even repeated the same mistakes of the weeks before. I truly hope we have learnt from that and have worked on some basic scenario train because to have repeat of what happened in the last two games of 2022 would be absolutely gut wrenching.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
Collingwood are very fit and mobile, what they lack in star power they make up for in that ability to run out games after making it tight all the way through games playing blue collar rebound football.
Apart from Cox they dont have too many lumbering stiffs, run a small mobile backline and have that bits and pieces forward setup with odd type players who have that ability to work as individuals but also link up when required.
Its working with what you have and Macrae's problem will be sustaining and improving that brand in 2023 as other teams work them out. Most wont know what I am talking about with the following but a similar analogy is what has happened in the NBL this year with the Cairns Taipans who are the team I follow, they are a mixture of odd type players who have been cellar dwellers for years but this season have a left field thinking coach in Adam Forde who has them playing this high octane rebound run the floor, shoot plenty of threes type game coupled with a very in your face defensive setup. They have gone from nearly last to top 4 and have just had their season ended but played very well in the finals even after losing key players.
Just shows what a good coach can do but the test is sustaining and making improvement year on end and this where I think Collingwood and Macrae will be tested and I have them slipping a bit...

Reply #78
Collingwood are very fit and mobile, what they lack in star power they make up for in that ability to run out games after making it tight all the way through games playing blue collar rebound football.
Apart from Cox they dont have too many lumbering stiffs, run a small mobile backline and have that bits and pieces forward setup with odd type players who have that ability to work as individuals but also link up when required.
Its working with what you have and Macrae's problem will be sustaining and improving that brand in 2023 as other teams work them out. Most wont know what I am talking about with the following but a similar analogy is what has happened in the NBL this year with the Cairns Taipans who are the team I follow, they are a mixture of odd type players who have been cellar dwellers for years but this season have a left field thinking coach in Adam Forde who has them playing this high octane rebound run the floor, shoot plenty of threes type game coupled with a very in your face defensive setup. They have gone from nearly last to top 4 and have just had their season ended but played very well in the finals even after losing key players.
Just shows what a good coach can do but the test is sustaining and making improvement year on end and this where I think Collingwood and Macrae will be tested and I have them slipping a bit...

If you heard C Scott the other day, he talked about needing to bring something new this year despite winning a premiership last year. He suggested that if they do the same as last year, they are gone. Thats a good coach, just won a flag and not resting on his laurels. Every year, not matter where you finish, you need to bring something new, you know what they say about doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
If you heard C Scott the other day, he talked about needing to bring something new this year despite winning a premiership last year. He suggested that if they do the same as last year, they are gone. Thats a good coach, just won a flag and not resting on his laurels. Every year, not matter where you finish, you need to bring something new, you know what they say about doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result.
Fully agree and one reservation about us I have is what are we bringing thats new this season, players?/ inventive gameplan? .....Voss when coaching at Brisbane began well and then it was downhill every year after that.

Reply #80
Nathan Buckley was on SEN the other morning talking about the Super Bowl and how well the NFL teams control the clock. They train it to perfection and everyone knows their role in those scenarios. He went to say they we can't control the clock as well in AFL because our game is all about transition. When you take a mark, you have seconds before you need to move it on, you get a free, same thing seconds and you need to move it on.
I think we were extremely poor last year in those games where we lost it in the end during the final minutes. It was as if we never trained it, even basics, around what we would do in the final minutes to hold a slender lead or pinch a game that was in the balance. In fact, we even repeated the same mistakes of the weeks before. I truly hope we have learnt from that and have worked on some basic scenario train because to have repeat of what happened in the last two games of 2022 would be absolutely gut wrenching.

Why are YOU talking about the yanks game?

Everytime i mention it there are a few on here that get 'triggered' and tune out. :P

Its true though, and its not just the superbowl, its every game. They have names for it too.
2-minute offense.
4-minute offense.

If you have the ball, and you are in front, 4 minutes remaining, you can get away with running just 3 actual plays to win the game (with a bit of luck). With less luck, you would have to run double that (with 2 minute warning and 3 opposition timeouts). If you are behind though, you can run as many plays as you need to go the length of the field, twice over if required - potentially up to 20 plays. Such is the time management of that game.

The NFL is a lot more structured, and these things can be drilled to perfection, and while we can't do it to the same extent in our game, we can definitely do it better than we do. Pies doing it got a lot of attention because they won the close games. However, every team does something similar. Maybe its not to the same extent, maybe it is, but unless it works, nobody cares....or talks about it at least.

Its not new. You see the signs on the boundary with numbers, colours and symbols representing basically the same thing we are talking about.
Back in the day the 'hold the ball up in the air' signal was used to tell everyone its time to play for time.

Reply #81
Collingwood played out each minute of each quarter last season. They didn't think of half time or the quarter breaks or that the game was over. This is something Carlton should learn. Other teams should be ready for Collingwood this year so I am not sure about their depth. We had players out and we had five more scoring shots so we probably should have won by more. Their seconds got a pasting. There are plenty of people who pump up Collingwood in the media, I am not so sure.