Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb (Read 1680 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

The VFL boys handed out a bit of a shellacking; 16.10.106 to 5.7.37.

Did anyone see the game?

Apparently Lemmey and O'Keeffe did well for newbies, and Dow and Cahill picked up where they left off last season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: VFL Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

Reply #1

Did anyone see the game?

Apparently Lemmey and O'Keeffe did well for newbies, and Dow and Cahill picked up where they left off last season.

Impressive!
Great for Luke Power's first practice run.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #2

Did anyone see the game?

I wish I'd seen it. Lots of newbies out there!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Any sign of Lance's boy, Dane?
Has he made the list, is he injured?

Reply #4

I'm not sure he was even drafted. He wasn't in the named match list on the official reserves twitter feed, so he clearly didn't play.

Reply #5
Luke Power was understandably quite pleased with his team's performance:

https://twitter.com/CarltonReserves

Interestingly, both Sam Walsh and Mitch McGovern helped out with coaching duties.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6

Pretty sure he wasn’t drafted.
Fairly sure he trained/was training with the reserves.
Maybe he’s injured or given up the dream ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #7
Pretty sure he wasn’t drafted.
Fairly sure he trained/was training with the reserves.
Maybe he’s injured or given up the dream ?
Haven't heard anything since he was invited to train with the 2's. McKenzie Hogg was also invited: he has been seen a couple of times in running exercises. I have no idea where he is at either.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Dane Whitnall will play for the Bulldogs in 2023..............North Heidelberg.

Reply #9
Dane Whitnall will play for the Bulldogs in 2023..............North Heidelberg.

Probably a good opportunity to develop his craft.

It would be nice if he followed in his father's and grandfather's footsteps but it will take a lot of hard work and a bit of luck.

Reply #10
Probably a good opportunity to develop his craft.

It would be nice if he followed in his father's and grandfather's footsteps but it will take a lot of hard work and a bit of luck.
I would have like to have seen us squeeze him in as a rookie to create that heritage scenario but you cant pick them all and we had Cincotta and Leiu in line too, so two promising players had to miss out. Would have liked to have seen him at VFL level though so that surprises me a bit he isnt doing his developing there to give himself more opportunity to be noticed...not sure if that was his choice or lack of interest from the VFL team viewpoint.

Reply #11
I would have like to have seen us squeeze him in as a rookie to create that heritage scenario but you cant pick them all and we had Cincotta and Leiu in line too, so two promising players had to miss out. Would have liked to have seen him at VFL level though so that surprises me a bit he isnt doing his developing there to give himself more opportunity to be noticed...not sure if that was his choice or lack of interest from the VFL team viewpoint.

We do have an abundance of KPPs in the VFL squad and I suspect that they're all ahead of young Dane in terms of physical development at least.  Of course, he may continue to train with the VFL squad during the season.

Reply #12

Sometimes the hard road is a truckload of work with a 2% chance of a payoff and while it’s fun to get a kick there’s more to life and you can still get a kick and hang out with the boys at Heidelberg.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #13
Sometimes the hard road is a truckload of work with a 2% chance of a payoff and while it’s fun to get a kick there’s more to life and you can still get a kick and hang out with the boys at Heidelberg.
Fair point, I guess everyone assumes AFL footy would be his main goal in life given his family history but maybe that's not the case and he has other interests..

Reply #14
There's a highlights package on the club website - and a lot to like about the newbies  :)