Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb (Read 1675 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Practice Match: Blues v Pies, Fri 24 Feb

Reply #15
There's a highlights package on the club website - and a lot to like about the newbies  :)
Like the look of Lemmey......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #16
Like the look of Lemmey......
Happy with the work of Curly's Boy in picking him up? It certainly appears he knows what he's doing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Happy with the work of Curly's Boy in picking him up? It certainly appears he knows what he's doing.

O’Keeffe looked very comfortable and confident and Binns showed a bit of class.

Of the VFL boys, I thought Brereton was good and I don’t know why Cahill isn’t on an AFL list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18

Of the VFL boys, I thought Brereton was good and I don’t know why Cahill isn’t on an AFL list.
Sounds like we gonna do the AFL VFL double this year ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #19

Agree...Thought Okeefe, Lemmey and the ex Essendon kid Cahill showed something and the latter is a polished player with skills on both sides and has some composure. Think the VFL team will improve with the new additions, extra height, and Cahill is one to watch going forward.
Noticed Jason Castagna has just retired suddenly from Richmond citing lack of motivation, be interested to see where that goes and if he has a change of mind down the track.
Tigers are quietly annoyed missing the SPP cut off as they cant replace him till the mid season and its been suggested they would have taken ex Cat Quinton Narkle who will play with the Bombers VFL team....

Reply #20
Sounds like we gonna do the AFL VFL double this year ;)

You're going early!!!!!
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #21
22 goal kickers between the AFL/VFL
That must be a record for us!
Only a friendly match but it's against quality opposition. Bring on 2023.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
You're going early!!!!!
always this time of the year, gotta come off eventually.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
I didn't see anything but the highlights, but there are a couple of things I noted:
[1] We have height across the field this year. And the talls can kick.
[2] We appear to be very team orientated. The hand balling to a man in a better spot was really obvious.
[3] We may be (much) taller this year, but we don't look slower. If anything, we look faster.
[4] We may lack experience, but that is probably all we lack. We've got small forwards, talls who can do different roles, and a couple of real goalkickers. I liked what I saw.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
I didn't see anything but the highlights, but there are a couple of things I noted:
[2] We appear to be very team orientated. The hand balling to a man in a better spot was really obvious.
[3] We may be (much) taller this year, but we don't look slower. If anything, we look faster.
[4] We may lack experience, but that is probably all we lack. We've got small forwards, talls who can do different roles, and a couple of real goalkickers. I liked what I saw.
I thought we looked a little slow (if that's the right word) bursting from a stoppage, they looked quicker (or maybe slicker is the word)

I made this note which I included in the post game:

Disposal to players under pressure saw this 10-15 times in just the first half

Ill put that down to being a little rusty.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #25
I thought we looked a little slow (if that's the right word) bursting from a stoppage, they looked quicker (or maybe slicker is the word)
It is a bit of a feature about our list that we are dominant in certain areas and deficient in others, the trick must surely be to develop a game style that suits us.

Our better players tend to be our bigger slower players, I realise we have Walsh, Doc, Saad, etc, etc., but they can't be everywhere all the time. We need a bit of a game plan that takes the run out of the legs of the opposition that'll keep guys like BigH, Pitto, Cripps, Kennedy, Charlie, TDK, McGovern, Weiters in the game at the end, so opposition don't run over us late in games like they did several times last season.

Hopefully Akers helps, having Hewett and Cerra fit certainly helped early in the season, but even so we still barely hung on for a couple of wins courtesy of the clock when we should have been able to cruise home.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Luke Power says, "What was most pleasing was a number of times, our players showed a team-first attitude by giving the ball off to players in better positions and looking out for their teammates.  Ultimately, their connection will be what not only helps us as a team, but also gets individuals recognised."

I suspect that Power will be emphasising the team-first mantra.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
The speed of the ball is quicker than the speed of the man.

You can make the fastest team in the world look slow with good quick ball movement.