Skip to main content
Topic: Last Practice Match v Sydney (Read 3273 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Last Practice Match v Sydney

Reply #75
VFL will have a very good side round 1 based on tonights performance and players to come back in..

Reply #76
So based on tonight, the following won't be playing rnd 1:
Ed C
Honey
LOB
Plow
Dow
Owies

The following are on shaky ground
Durdin or Young  will fight of the second tall roll. Young was ordinary
Both rucks didn't impress me which is a worry
Jesse Motlop needs to do a truckload more than that, for a bloke who supposedly had a massive preseason, dunno. Is he struggling with the training load? What will save Motlop is Owies very ordinary performance and C Durdin's injury.
The rest be there about at selection but they'd wanna be better than that as a collective.
Its a preseason hit out at the end of the day, plenty to work on and time to correct it. Ball use better be way better than that v Rich.
No injuries which is a great thing.
Moo and Dutchy will be in very strong contention rnd 1.

Think you would still go with Young over S. Durdin...agree though that Young was poor tonight.
Reckon the rucks will be TDK as No 1 and Pittonet off the bench, both were average tonight and Ladhams was the most effective big bloke on the park.
Motlop always looks like he is cruising and could go up a gear, hoping round 1 he gets a bit more hungry...
McGovern will come in for Plowman I would expect..
Hollands and Cowan have probably played themselves into the round 1 team although playing raw newbies vs that hard experienced Richmond lineup concerns me a bit but I guess its about the future and both look good long term players in the making.

Reply #77
Think you would still go with Young over S. Durdin...agree though that Young was poor tonight.
Reckon the rucks will be TDK as No 1 and Pittonet off the bench, both were average tonight and Ladhams was the most effective big bloke on the park.
Motlop always looks like he is cruising and could go up a gear, hoping round 1 he gets a bit more hungry...
McGovern will come in for Plowman I would expect..
Hollands and Cowan have probably played themselves into the round 1 team although playing raw newbies vs that hard experienced Richmond lineup concerns me a bit but I guess its about the future and both look good long term players in the making.

Sydney are as hard a unit as any, Moo didn't take a backward step once, in fact seemed to thrive on it. I started watching mid first qtr and he was running with Heeney. He seemed to have the 9m horse lead on Heeney who did want he wanted, Moo will learn from that and will tighten up next time I'm sure. Heeney is a machine thought and can make an experienced campaigner look tardy.
For his size, Hollands did not look out of place for the most part, can't tell whether he is a left or right footer as he is equally proficient on both side, like that a lot.
I'm sure the MC will make the right calls come round one.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #78
This from the HS, fair analysis of all our players I reckon:
1. Jack Silvagni - Competed well floating through half-forward. Far from Carlton’s worst.
2. Paddy Dow - Pretty quiet game which ended early with an upper body knock.
3. Jesse Motlop - Kicked a goal but wasn’t a major threat.
4. Lochie O’Brien - Has fallen behind Hollands and Acres and had negligible impact.
5. Adam Cerra - Needed to do more when the heat was on early but found a bit of the ball.
7. Matt Kennedy - Overawed in the first quarter storm before working his way into the game.
12. Tom De Koning - On a tough night for talls he was beaten in the first half but took a couple of excellent second half marks.
13. Blake Acres - Will play round one, clearly. Did his bit including kicking a long-range major.
14. Ollie Hollands - Held down a wing again and looks well in the round one mix.
15. Sam Docherty - Rotated through half-back and the midfield and was typically prolific.
16. Jack Carroll - Played less than a quarter but found the footy.
20. Lachie Plowman - Was a liability at times down back, didn’t look comfortable.
23. Jacob Weitering - One of his side’s best, stopping Franklin for the most part and holding up against the tide.
25. Zac Fisher - Ran hard and kicked a goal but not a massive night.
26. Lachie Cowan - Only the 10 disposals but one excellent contested mark and generally composed.
27. Marc Pittonet - De Koning got the first go in the middle although Pittonet had a crack when given the chance.
29. George Hewett - Finished with 26 disposals but really didn’t do enough to stop the damage early given his defensive importance.
30. Charlie Curnow - Weather didn’t help but the superstar held up his end of the bargain in the absence of Harry McKay.
33. Lewis Young - Outgunned in the air by the Swans, needs more help.
35. Ed Curnow. - Looked a bit off the pace after so little footy in recent times.
36. Josh Honey - Played less than half the game and barely sighted.
38. Sam Durdin - Came on for a quarter and performed solidly.
40. Alex Cincotta - Not as impressive as seven days earlier against the Pies but doesn’t look out of place.
42. Adam Saad - Off the pace, especially given how much ball was coming into the Blues’ defensive 50.
44. Matt Owies - Created chances but couldn’t take them. On the fringes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
We all would like to see the boys and team playing well but whenever I get worried about these things I always consider the year we won the pre-season cup then delivered back to back wooden spoons.

No injuries to key personnel is all im interested in.

The real stuff starts in 2 weeks.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
We all would like to see the boys and team playing well but whenever I get worried about these things I always consider the year we won the pre-season cup then delivered back to back wooden spoons.

No injuries to key personnel is all im interested in.

The real stuff starts in 2 weeks.

I was thinking the same. Practice matches are not a very reliable indicator for in season form, individually or collectively IMO.

Reply #81
Don't read too much into last night's scoreline.

Sydney kicked with a 3-goal wind in the first quarter, and our second-string midfield team took 20 minutes to realise there was a game on.  So 7 goals to 1, game almost done.

In the second, when we have the wind, the rain beats down and we kick 3.5 for the quarter and basically owned the territory, just couldn't convert enough due to conditions and sloppy delivery.

The second half was basically treading water for both sides, and we swapped out many of our team for the last quarter and a half.  

So, no biggie.  

The one real concern was our inability to transition from defence to attack - we got stuck in the back pockets and kicked to 50/50s on the wing far too often.

I thought the standout newbie was Lachie Cowan - at one stage in the last, he got pole-axed, but jumped straight up and laid a crunching tackle.  I think he looks like a classical tough-nut half back.

One other who has clearly had a great pre-season is umpire 22, Nathan Williamson.  If his name pops up on any of our matches this year, be very afraid.  

Our side will look and play very differently with Cripps in the centre square and McKay in the forward 50.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #82
I reckon you need to reward Cowan and Hollands off the back of that (and the week before) by picking them in R1. Cincotta a bit stiff to not be on that list as well.

I think Silvagni showed that he is a better forward option than TDK. He is obviously better at ground level and while he may not be quite as good in the ruck, he is serviceable. I can;t find a spot for TDK if we have a fit McKay, Charlie, Pittonet, Silvagni and even McGovern.

Not sure how much game time Ed had, but i didn't notice him as much as i should have. AFAIK he is 100% fit, so its just form that he is lacking, which is a worry when you are on the wrong side of 30.

I think it showed we needed an extra tall in defense, with Marchbank being the hybrid 3rd tall we are missing. Having McGovern (ideally up forward) as an option for down back as well helps with team balance.

We have multiple options for small forwards with Motlop, Owies, C. Durdin, Fisher and even Honey and Martin....but i can't work out who has set themselves above the rest. I think it will be a bit of a revolving door through there this year.

Reply #83
Missed the game.
Was at a wake and only able to follow through the scores on the phone
Thought Cripps was pretty ineffective, Harry presented well but was let down by the service from the midfield and Walsh probably needed another week before he played.

Keeping it in perspective...
My usual take at this time of the year is that practice match form is pretty meaningless.
It's a time for experimentation and giving fringe players an opportunity.
Experienced players pace themselves and operate at a much reduced level...just shaking out the cobwebs.
Yep, we can look back to times when we won the pre-season and ended up having poor years.

I do think though, that in recent years the pre-season form has often exposed some areas of weakness that need addressing and have become more relevant.

I suspect though that we'll probably go with a bit of caution in the first round and play a side that resembles the best we can put together from available 2022 players+ Acres.

Reply #84
Missed the game.
Was at a wake and only able to follow through the scores on the phone
Thought Cripps was pretty ineffective, Harry presented well but was let down by the service from the midfield and Walsh probably needed another week before he played.

Just checking to see who's paying attention, I assume ?

Reply #85
DONT CARE about the practice match crap fest.

Best news is we didn't pick up our usual 2 or 3 injuries.

My concerns are our regular group of Glassmen that we still persist with.
The triple Ms of our Rehab group, Martin, McGovern and Marchy.

At least a couple of our kids look the goods but I doubt if our MC will pick them against the Tiggers.

Do you think the Pussys would be worried after Brisvegus smashed them....

Reply #86
Just checking to see who's paying attention, I assume ?

A bit of that....and probnably suggesting those three would have made a goal or two difference. ;)  :D

Reply #87
DONT CARE about the practice match crap fest.

Best news is we didn't pick up our usual 2 or 3 injuries.

My concerns are our regular group of Glassmen that we still persist with.
The triple Ms of our Rehab group, Martin, McGovern and Marchy.

At least a couple of our kids look the goods but I doubt if our MC will pick them against the Tiggers.

Do you think the Pussys would be worried after Brisvegus smashed them....

Generally agree. With the kids, I would probably only play 1 at a time, if it comes to that. I think that's fair on the kid and fair on the senior blokes who may have to help him out during the game. It's one thing to show good form in front of three people in Blacktown, it's quite another in Round 1 in front of what is surely going to be a packed MCG, against quality opposition, with 4 points and the chance to make a good start up for grabs.

As for Geelong, I imagine they may not be worried as such, but I'm sure they would leave nothing to chance and look at that game closely.

Reply #88
I was thinking the same. Practice matches are not a very reliable indicator for in season form, individually or collectively IMO.

Agree. It's more about holding onto your extras and testing the remaining pieces. Givnig the system run time and tinkering with loose parts. Give it a degrease, add the final parts, prime, polish, and stand back. The Cheersquad will take it from there.

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #89
Agree. It's more about holding onto your extras and testing the pieces. Giving the system run time and tinkering with loose parts. Then you give it a degrease, add the final parts, prime, polish and stand back. The Cheer squad will take it from there.

Go Blues

Lol. That's quite the string of metaphors you got going there LN.