Skip to main content
Topic: Last Practice Match v Sydney (Read 3288 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Last Practice Match v Sydney

Reply #90
Lol. That's quite the string of metaphors you got going there LN. 

Don't mind the odd metaphor. You know what they say.... a picture paints a thousand words. That's me right there being super efficient 😆
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #91
re: Brisbane vs Geelong and the Cats being worried?..reality is Brisbane have picked up some players who make them better and Ashcroft will probably win the Rising star by the length of the Flemington straight. I think Geelong will miss Selwood more than most think and I fancy our chances against them in Rnd 2....Brisbane are going to be very hard work for all teams imho.

Reply #92
Generally agree. With the kids, I would probably only play 1 at a time, if it comes to that. I think that's fair on the kid and fair on the senior blokes who may have to help him out during the game. It's one thing to show good form in front of three people in Blacktown, it's quite another in Round 1 in front of what is surely going to be a packed MCG, against quality opposition, with 4 points and the chance to make a good start up for grabs.

As for Geelong, I imagine they may not be worried as such, but I'm sure they would leave nothing to chance and look at that game closely.

Those two kids look at home, play em.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #93
Those two kids look at home, play em.

They both deserve to play in round 1 on form, ability and the ease with which they've adapted to the AFL tempo and pressure.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #94
They both deserve to play in round 1 on form, ability and the ease with which they've adapted to the AFL tempo and pressure.

I didn't see the game so I'm probably being a little cautious.
The thing is...the pressure at Blacktown in a practice match will be a world of difference to what the  players will face in terms of pressure against Richmond at the MCG.

He may very well have great season, but the fact that a player like Gulden can end up with 45 diposals (a dozen more than he's ever had in a 'proper' game) may be indicative of the pressure.

But as I've said, I didn't see it, and the folks in the best position to judge whether the recruits are ready will be the coaches who will have a clear knowledge of what was expected and required of these players in the lead-up to Round 1.

If they are selected it will be a really good sign of faith that these young-uns are ready to go.

Reply #95
I've watched our game against the Fluffy Ducks twice - sucker for punishment. It was as if the players had a Valium sanger before the game :D I find myself still perplexed by the performance so drawing any firm conclusions would be perilous, to say the least.

Like everyone else I was buoyed by the efforts from Hollands, Cowan and Cincotta. And they'll no doubt play senior footy (and play well) this year at some time. Although I picked Cowan in my best 22 for round 1, I doubt it'll happen. I think our backline will be Newman, Weiters, Young, Saad, McGovern and Marchbank. Though Doc could very well start in defense. As Pauly wrote I think taking newbies into a big first game of the season could be risky. Maybe 1 (Hollands?) but that'd be it.

After that shocker of a first qtr, we scored 16 times to 13. Missed opportunities sap confidence.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #96
I've watched our game against the Fluffy Ducks twice - sucker for punishment. It was as if the players had a Valium sanger before the game :D I find myself still perplexed by the performance so drawing any firm conclusions would be perilous, to say the least.
Interesting, there is a comonality between the Filth and the Fluffy Duck games.

In my opinion it's a tell about what other clubs think is our weakness, leg speed, and what our strength is, F50!

The Fluffy Ducks stacked their midfield with fast runners, left their bigger bodies like Parker and Heeney forward.

It sort of makes sense, no opposition will wants us to get a clear fast break from the centre if we have BigH and Charlie forward of center. Our F50 setup is the strongest in the competition, so the task from opposition coaches will be to slow down our entries so they can structure up.

Both the Filth and the Fluffy Ducks used fast moving sweepers on a rotation to charge at the fall of the ball so that even if they didn't get it our progress out of the center was slowed.

I didn't see any attempt from Voss to stop this happening, let's hope he has kept his cards close to his chest for the real deal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97

Like everyone else I was buoyed by the efforts from Hollands, Cowan and Cincotta. And they'll no doubt play senior footy (and play well) this year at some time. Although I picked Cowan in my best 22 for round 1, I doubt it'll happen. I think our backline will be Newman, Weiters, Young, Saad, McGovern and Marchbank. Though Doc could very well start in defense. As Pauly wrote I think taking newbies into a big first game of the season could be risky. Maybe 1 (Hollands?) but that'd be it.

After that shocker of a first qtr, we scored 16 times to 13. Missed opportunities sap confidence.

Seeing Voss sitting quietly making notes with his biro on a piece of paper suggested to me that he wasn't too concerned ... or had shared the Valium sangers.

The Swans had the benefit of the wind in the first, we copped the downpour in the second, some lesser players got more game time and the changes were done to a script, not in response to the game situation.  It was a practice match.

Apparently Marchy will be good to go for round 1 but will start in the Reserves.  Assuming Docherty will spend time in the midfield, I think our seven main defenders will be Weitering, Saad, Newman, Young, McGovern, Cowan and Cincotta, just ahead of Plowman.

Hollands, Cowan and Cincotta have to start somewhere, so why not round 1?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
Can we take Hollands and Fisher into Rnd.1?

In terms of mids and utilities Nthmond usually have heavier bodies than us, not sure we can carry too many light weights.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
I'm going into 2023 with the same concerns as 2021, 2022... Player availability and lingering doubts over the same blokes as the past...Ed C, TdK, Plowman, LoB, Fisher.  Too many mistakes or not enough impact.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #100
Hollands, Cowan and Cincotta have to start somewhere, so why not round 1?

There's probably no right answer to that question because players are individuals who adapt to situations in different ways.

We could play them... all three, and all could be hits....we'd go a fair way towards winning if that's the case.
But if we had all three struggle we'd be in a bit of strife.

One of the luxuries we've lacked in the last 20 years is the ability to introduce new players at a controlled, reasonable managed rate that's best for their development.
Surrounded by experienced players to support and encourage them would be the perfect introduction.
Instead we had young players like Gibbs and Murphy basically thrown to the lions, with sometimes disgraceful levels of support and protection.
Murphy got knocked silly in his first year.
That's no longer the case.
We have experience and big bodies on just about every line.

It's a structure that is perfect for introducing young players on managed game time.
I guess the question will be...how many can it support.

Reply #101
I'm going into 2023 with the same concerns as 2021, 2022... Player availability and lingering doubts over the same blokes as the past...Ed C, TdK, Plowman, LoB, Fisher.  Too many mistakes or not enough impact.

Hard to disagree with those five, Professory. In both games Fisher, Ed and LoB failed to impress in terms of consistency. Had moments, but if we're a finals proposition, we must have consistency. I cut TDK some slack owing to age and how bigger blokes take longer but to be coldly objective, he, too, is inconsistent. I've already got Cincotta and Cowan ahead of Plowman.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #102

I have the same concerns.  Also, our ruck worries me.  To me Pittonet is a hard worker who on his best day will break even with the opposition ruck.  It's said that his second and third efforts are very good, but the top sides have ruckmen who can restrict those opportunities.

And where are we going to play TdK?  Is he a ruckman or a forward?  In any event, if one of them is injured, the cupboard looks bare.

Reply #103
Can we take Hollands and Fisher into Rnd.1?

Fisher is the only bloke who can actually tackle dusty though. Did it twice in one game a few years ago, despite the fend-off, so bogger bodies is not an issue.
I didn't see Holland take any backwards steps, but his benefit is gut running and 2nd efforts. If he gets the ball, bonus.

IMO Fisher plays. Good up forward. Adds something different through the middle if required. Works will with his mate Cripps.

Hollands (and Cowan) bring some much needed enthusiasm and manic pressure. They'd do well to be introduced to a 85k crowd in round 1.
If we get no injuries, i'd back one of them in to get subbed off too, chances are they will most likely tire a bit at the death.
But exposure is required, so R1 it should be.

Reply #104
My biggest concern is our inability to manage transition plays, going both ways.

At our end, we get trapped in our back pockets and can't get the ball out, then we dump it to a 50:50 and hope. 

And we still get murdered on the slingshot when it's coming the other way.  When it's coming down fast, the only backman that doesn't look like a statue is Saad.  That's why I think we need to groom Cincotta to give us some more back half leg speed.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?