Skip to main content
Topic: Last Practice Match v Sydney (Read 3123 times) previous topic - next topic

Last Practice Match v Sydney

It’ll be up there in Blacktown at 7.10 pm next Friday.

Probably not ideal playing Sydney as Roos never approached practice matches seriously and Horse has followed his lead. Perhaps that will be less of an issue now that the Sydney list is younger than when it relied on veterans from other clubs. Of course Buddy either won’t play or won’t play much but he’s no longer the superstar that he was.

The good news for us is that there were hardly any injury concerns arising out of the match sims. I guess we’ll see whether there are lingering concerns over Cripps. With our opening game against Richmond less than 2 weeks after this practice match, a full dress rehearsal wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Re: Last Practice Match v Sydney

Reply #1
I’m guessing there’s some doubt about Cripps availability.
Maybe Dow gets a call up.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #2
I read on here Crippa is skipping this one and heading over to WA to be with family. Has that changed?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
I read on here Crippa is skipping this one and heading over to WA to be with family. Has that changed?

He is supposed to be back on Friday for the game.

He’s going for “personal reasons” so I hope it’s nothing serious.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
With the new sub rule there is no dilemma. Play them all and sub off Pitt for the last term. Fitness and form permitting.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
With the new sub rule there is no dilemma. Play them all and sub off Pitt for the last term. Fitness and form permitting.
Did it work for us last year?

Whats changed?

Reply #8
Did it work for us last year?

Whats changed?
You can now sub for tactical reasons, so no need to be feigning dodgy hammys......  The sub becomes a legitimate replacement and the tactics behind the use of the 23rd man can be transparent.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #9
Who we want to see: Just how Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay and Tom De Koning fit in the same forward line has implications on several fronts, not the least De Koning’s contract negotiations. Skipper Patrick Cripps was cleared of a serious ankle injury but may be rested. Chad Warner was one of the few Swans to impress against Brisbane last week. He is elite. Recruit Aaron Francis was quiet last week.

What we want to see: The Blues let the Magpies boot a handful of quick goals last week. That cannot be repeated if they want to be a top-four side. The Swans are without injured frontline ruckman Tom Hickey. Will Peter Ladhams (tendonitis issue) or Hayden McLean play?

Round one implications: The Blues have yet to confirm how they will juggle their ruck combination come round one. Is Jack Silvagni in their best team? For the Swans, is Lance Franklin still their No.1 forward focus? They begin with a road trip against the Suns.
Your guide to the official AFL pre-season games, The Age.

Seems we should rename this the TdK game. Whether it’s to see how he works with Pitto in the ruck or with Charlie and Harry as a forward, the game is just an elaborate experiment with TdK at its centre.

All we need is to see him play as a tall defender as well so all bases are covered.

Reply #10
You can now sub for tactical reasons, so no need to be feigning dodgy hammys......  The sub becomes a legitimate replacement and the tactics behind the use of the 23rd man can be transparent.
Don't forget the main reason the sub is there. For injuries.

Lets look at it this way...
FB xxxxx   Weitering  Marchbank/McGovern/3rd tall
HB xxxxx   Young   xxxxx
C  xxxxxx   xxxxxx  xxxxx
HF Silvagni Curnow xxxxx
FF xxxxxxx   McKay  xxxxx
R Pittonet  xxxxxx xxxxxx
INT De Koning  xxxxx   xxxxx  xxxxxx
Sub  xxxxxx

All the xxxxxx are 'smalls'
It shows us
2 key backs, plus a 3rd tall
2 key forwards, plus a 3rd tall
1 starting ruck
1 backup ruck on the bench.

Now in a perfect world, you sub off your worst performing tall (most likely ruck) and bring on a small with some more run.
However, if you get an injury to a small, then its like for like and you are stuck with the land of the giants.

So sure, there is a sub rule.....but it doesn't mean it helps you. If you start too tall, you will probably end too tall more often than not.

So IMO it comes down to who do you leave out? Pittonet, TDK or Silvagni.
Based on form last year, it has to be TDK.
When we dropped Silvagni we played without heart.

Now if Harry or Charlie goes down, sure, Jack and TDK can both play forward and we are fine.
The other thing there is, that Cripps likes to drift forward after stoppages, which makes us an extra tall (and slow) forward line. Dry weather days, it could be an advantage. In the wet? Very unlikely.

If Vossy wants to do something 'revolutionary' and go back to the past and have a 'resting ruck' sitting at CHB in the hole as your 7th defender, and have the other ruck as playing in the front half only, then we might be able to get away with having 3 rucks on the ground at once (inc. Jack)....it will result in us being 1 short up forward, or around stoppages, but its about the only way i can see it working on a consistent basis.

Reply #11
I think the only way Pitto,  TDK and JSOS can play in the same team is If JSOS plays in defence.

Reply #12
I know that there was an extended bench last Friday but we did OK with Silvagni, De Koning and Mirkov in the team.  Silvagni played in defence for the last 10 minutes but there were times when we had Weitering, Young, Silvagni, De Koning, Mirkov, McKay, C Curnow and Cripps all on the ground together and four of them in the forward line. 

Tall doesn't necessarily mean lumbering.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
It's a huge dilemma for sure - I dont know what the answer is.

Reply #14
Not sure of the source (could be AFL.COM>AU)
INS Pitto C Durdin Martin Marchbank McGovern Dow
OUTS Mirkov Plow Cripps H Honey Hollands
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time