Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 5426 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #120
Agree, but the Curnow Snr selection is a little baffling. Owies would want to do a whole lot more than the PS games and the way he finished of his year in 2022

I wondered if it's about flexibility. Ed can cover a couple of roles. Especially if Martin or Bolton get off the chain. Many on here commented how coaches were too slow to respond in this area. Who knows?
Hope Ed has a strong game and causes some confusion amongst the oppo.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #121
Interesting that Ty Young wasn’t picked as the 3rd tall defender despite playing in both of their preseason games. Instead the starters will be Grimes (194/92), Balta (194/105) and Broad (192/86). On the bench is some rando, Ben Miller (198/97).

That last guy is the closest in height to Harry. But if Harry’s on, it’s hard to see Miller stopping him. He was a late pick in the 2017 draft. He didn’t debut until the last game of the 2021 season. To his credit, he managed 11 last year, including the last 8, the last of which was the Elimination Final. It looks as though he was initially a key defender but then he became the 2nd ruck floating forward in the last 5 games after Soldo’s injury.

Will he play as the 2nd ruck, leaving Balta as a key defender, or will the reverse be true? If he does play on Harry, he should be well outmatched.

Reply #122
I wondered if it's about flexibility. Ed can cover a couple of roles. Especially if Martin or Bolton get off the chain. Many on here commented how coaches were too slow to respond in this area. Who knows?
Was thinking same, Martin, Taranto and Hopper give them a different look on ball given Martin was unfit last season and non interested so Ed might be needed as a minder..

Reply #123
Well, he’s already caused a lot of confusion amongst Blues fans, so he’s on a roll.

Reply #124
Was thinking same, Martin, Taranto and Hopper give them a different look on ball given Martin was unfit last season and non interested so Ed might be needed as a minder..

To mind, pester, run around, block, apply hard hits, or distract one of their mids. All welcome!
Henry Ford.

Reply #125
Well, he’s already caused a lot of confusion amongst Blues fans, so he’s on a roll.

🤣 most of the game is above the ears... not a bad strategy
Henry Ford.

Reply #126
Dusty will play predominantly fwd I reckon, I dont think we have a march up for him there. Curnow can't handle him in there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #127
Dusty will play predominantly fwd I reckon, I dont think we have a march up for him there. Curnow can't handle him in there.
Dimma said as much on 360.

With the mids they've recruited, Dusty (and cotchin) will play both, but a lot more forward than they have in the past.

I reckon Ed is our 7th defender. Reckon Plowman would be a good sub option to bring in should we struggle to hold them down.

Reply #128
CARLTON

B: Le.Young 33 J.Weitering 23 A.Saad 42
HB: S.Docherty 15 M.McGovern 11 L.Cowan 26
C: B.Acres 13 P.Cripps - C 9 O.Hollands 14
HF: J.Martin 21 H.McKay 10 J.Silvagni 1
F: M.Owies 44 C.Curnow 30 Z.Fisher 25
Foll: T.De Koning 12 M.Kennedy 7 G.Hewett 29
I/C: N.Newman 24 A.Cerra 5 E.Curnow 35 J.Motlop 3   

Emerg: J.Honey 36 L.O'Brien 4 L.Plowman 20 M.Pittonet 27

I do look at our team with interest.
I would play McGovern on Martin if he goes forward: McGovern has him well beaten in the air and doesn't lack strength. He's also quick in a straight line (probably not otherwise).
I am worried about the ruck duels. I hope Pittonet is the injury player, as we could do with him, even if he isn't as fit as he could be yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #129
CARLTON

B: Le.Young 33 J.Weitering 23 A.Saad 42
HB: S.Docherty 15 M.McGovern 11 L.Cowan 26
C: B.Acres 13 P.Cripps - C 9 O.Hollands 14
HF: J.Martin 21 H.McKay 10 J.Silvagni 1
F: M.Owies 44 C.Curnow 30 Z.Fisher 25
Foll: T.De Koning 12 M.Kennedy 7 G.Hewett 29
I/C: N.Newman 24 A.Cerra 5 E.Curnow 35 J.Motlop 3   

Emerg: J.Honey 36 L.O'Brien 4 L.Plowman 20 M.Pittonet 27

I do look at our team with interest.
I would play McGovern on Martin if he goes forward: McGovern has him well beaten in the air and doesn't lack strength. He's also quick in a straight line (probably not otherwise).
I am worried about the ruck duels. I hope Pittonet is the injury player, as we could do with him, even if he isn't as fit as he could be yet.
I thought the same re Gov/Dusty, but I think his extra hieght (although not huge) might be a disadvantage v Dusty. We'll see I guess. The game will be won and lost in the coaches box me thinks.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #130
Who would you play in preference to Ed?  Paddy Dow didn’t exactly cover himself in glory.

Ed was far from his best but he still featured in some good passages of play.

Vossy intimated that he has contingencies in place should it become necessary to contain Dusty or other Tigers.  Perhaps Ed may be in line for a run with role.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #131
Agree, but the Curnow Snr selection is a little baffling. Owies would want to do a whole lot more than the PS games and the way he finished of his year in 2022

Curnows usually take few games to get going.- Ed has had a full pre season his touch will return will need his beasty discipline running.

Reply #132
Don’t know if we have an improved team from last year or not, two kids and Ed Curnow in the side for the first game tells me not. Love Ed but if we are still giving him a game at this stage of his career we aren’t as deep as we think we are. Same with the kids, one maybe but two? If they were top two in the draft I could see it but they just aren’t physically strong enough yet to play big matches.
Hope I’m wrong

Reply #133
Don’t know if we have an improved team from last year or not, two kids and Ed Curnow in the side for the first game tells me not. Love Ed but if we are still giving him a game at this stage of his career we aren’t as deep as we think we are. Same with the kids, one maybe but two? If they were top two in the draft I could see it but they just aren’t physically strong enough yet to play big matches.
Hope I’m wrong

I’m pretty sure that you’re wrong.

Lachie and Ollie have shown that they’re ready for footy at AFL level.  Ollie’s running is elite and his tank is good enough to enable him to win or halve contests after sprinting the length of the ground.  Lachie is hard at it and his second and third efforts are not what you’d expect from a draftee.  Dermott Brereton was full of praise for the young man and he’s not easily impressed.

As for Ed, he’s shown enough to make it very difficult for whoever he matches up against.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #134
I reckon Ed is our 7th defender. Reckon Plowman would be a good sub option to bring in should we struggle to hold them down.
We are wanting to go deep in sept and players like lachie plowman can only be used in the case of mass injuries to defenders when we have no other options. If he is used while we are relatively healthy we will still be a bottom side. Players like plowman have had more then their chances and we need to  move past him to improve rapidly imo which is what I’m expecting 2023 to bring.