Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 5450 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #45
Solid information that Motlop has tweaked his calf and will miss Round 1.

Who plays as small forwards; Owies, Honey, Durdin?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #46
Solid information that Motlop has tweaked his calf and will miss Round 1.

Who plays as small forwards; Owies, Honey, Durdin?

Bummer! Just drafted him to my fantasy team.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
I’m sure that Balta on JSOS would be Richmond’s preferred match-up as enabling Balta to play as a rebounding defender or ball winning 2nd ruck would help them. But if Harry stays dangerous, their hands may be forced.

First, will we play Pittonet and TdK? If so, the option of playing Balta as 2nd ruck disappears. Yes, Balta could follow TdK into the ruck but that would mean Soldo would be underused. And if I were Hardwick, I’d prefer to try to monster TdK in the ruck with Soldo.

More importantly, playing Balta as a rebounding defender on our 3rd tall only works if Harry and Charlie are covered. Balta himself has been a bit of a project player up until last year and being on the 3rd tall forward was ideal. But he’s now either their best or 2nd best tall defender.

I just don’t see Tylar Young as a viable option for Charlie or Harry. I watched their preseason games and he did okay as a more traditional negative tall defender. If the ball is dropped onto his opponent’s head, he’s pretty good at using his body to edge his opponent out of position enough to bring the ball to ground. But he takes few marks, and he doesn’t have a big leap or great closing speed on the lead. The other problem is that he tends to rely on tractoring his opponent forward under the ball or grappling and it looks like the umpires will be hot on that at the start of the season. He did okay on McDonald and Brown but Gawn flogged him. Young is hardly a factor in working the ball out of D50 and pretty much stands around once the ball hits the ground. Both Harry and Charlie would embarrass him.

Richmond haven’t shown much team defence so far. I guess they could drop Nankervis or Soldo back to CHB to help out but that runs counter to the helter skelter approach that won them flags which relies on swarming forwards and there may be less speed in this team than in their premiership years.

Reply #48
Grimes is the one player Charlie struggled with last year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #49
DJC.....Owies and Durdin for me if Motlop is out.

Reply #50
Has small Durdin had a ps game?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #51
Motlop is training so he must be a possibility for the Tigers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #52
Has small Durdin had a ps game?

I don't believe he has, and he's not certain to get up for round 1.

Reply #53
The coverage of injuries in the AFL has really dropped to a trickle. There used to be a site “AFLinjuryupdate” which used to cover a number of sports but it covered the AFL on a single page with each team’s injuries (and even suspensions) as well as the expected date of return. That was updated each week. I don’t think it exists now.

Here we are just 4 days away from our opening game and the last injury update on the CFC was on 17 Jan. No doubt there are little snippets of injury news revealed in various videos but there’s no central resource provided. I’m sure that all AFL clubs are happy to shroud their injuries in as much secrecy as possible but it sure flies in the face of the AFL’s desire to dominate sports media coverage.

If there is a running list of injuries somewhere, please let me know.

Edit: this site might be the current version of the one above - https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/afl-injury-list-2023/ogkroxcfvgxpghsax5kf9pq7

Reply #54
Ch 7 reports Prestia trained fully albeit with strapping on his shoulder but Short trained away from the main group. They’ll have a final training on Tuesday.

Reply #55
The coverage of injuries in the AFL has really dropped to a trickle. There used to be a site “AFLinjuryupdate” which used to cover a number of sports but it covered the AFL on a single page with each team’s injuries (and even suspensions) as well as the expected date of return. That was updated each week. I don’t think it exists now.

Here we are just 4 days away from our opening game and the last injury update on the CFC was on 17 Jan. No doubt there are little snippets of injury news revealed in various videos but there’s no central resource provided. I’m sure that all AFL clubs are happy to shroud their injuries in as much secrecy as possible but it sure flies in the face of the AFL’s desire to dominate sports media coverage.

If there is a running list of injuries somewhere, please let me know.

Edit: this site might be the current version of the one above - https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/afl-injury-list-2023/ogkroxcfvgxpghsax5kf9pq7

Remember the good bad old days when Andy McKay would take us through the injuries each week?

The link you posted is the most up to date injury list.  Hopefully, our club website will provide regular updates during the season ... but I'm not holding my breath.  The website seems to focus on clickbait without provide much information.  It's not an AFL thing as other club websites have significantly more information such as VFL, WVFL and even wheelchair team lists as well as up to date injury lists.  It's probably worth an email to Brian Cook.

Reply #56
Remember the good bad old days when Andy McKay would take us through the injuries each week?
This is a punters lament, those of us who don't bet on footy or play pretend coach should be happy with the subterfuge, less intelligence for opponents increases our chance of winning.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
I remember seeing a Chopper Reid impersonator years ago doing a weather skit where he says: "Alice Spings, I'll give you the weather for the next 1000 years, its gonna be effin hot". Very funny but I reckon he could also do our injury report for the last 5 and next 5 years.
Marchbank - broken everything - Estimate return never
Cunningham - See Marchbank - Estimated return 2039
Martin - CBFitis - When he can BF'd
Williams - Fatwalletitis - Just prior to the next paycheque
McGovern - Jumpus Tohigheth Landus Awkwardess - Indefinate

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
I remember seeing a Chopper Reid impersonator years ago doing a weather skit where he says: "Alice Spings, I'll give you the weather for the next 1000 years, its gonna be effin hot". Very funny but I reckon he could also do our injury report for the last 5 and next 5 years.
Marchbank - broken everything - Estimate return never
Cunningham - See Marchbank - Estimated return 2039
Martin - CBFitis - When he can BF'd
Williams - Fatwalletitis - Just prior to the next paycheque
McGovern - Jumpus Tohigheth Landus Awkwardess - Indefinate

Very creative, GTC old son. Got a good laugh here!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #59
This is a punters lament, those of us who don't bet on footy or play pretend coach should be happy with the subterfuge, less intelligence for opponents increases our chance of winning.

What a load of garbage LP 🙄

Having as many players as possible available for selection increases our chances of winning.  Your ‘subterfuge’ is simply poor communication by our club and has zero impact on the outcome of games.