Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 5436 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #60
Don't bet on football. Don't bet on horses. Don't bet on the internet. Don't bet on gaming machines. Don't bet.

Reply #61
Don't bet on football. Don't bet on horses. Don't bet on the internet. Don't bet on gaming machines. Don't bet.

As someone once quoted, 'betting/gambling is like "picking your own pocket!"'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #62
What a load of garbage LP 🙄

Having as many players as possible available for selection increases our chances of winning.  Your ‘subterfuge’ is simply poor communication by our club and has zero impact on the outcome of games.

I guess 'ducks & drakes' is a strategic part of the game. Personally, I pay very little attention to it. The 23 for Thursday night is when I pay attention.

Reply #63
I guess 'ducks & drakes' is a strategic part of the game. Personally, I pay very little attention to it. The 23 for Thursday night is when I pay attention.

It may have been back in the dark ages but there's so much coverage these days that the only point to obfuscating about injuries is to stop the opposition targeting tender pectoral muscles or similar.  Of course, Prestia's case, that horse is already bolted.

After every open training session, supporters post their observations about who was training in the main group, who was restructed to laps, who was in the gym, etc.  After every other session, football writers report on similar observations.  There are very few secrets or opportunities for subterfuge.

As I mentioned previously, Andy McKay used to give detailed injury reports and we had the same from Russell and Lloyd until recently.  We get to hear Sam Walsh detail his progress but the injury list on our website hasn't been updated for weeks.  We do provide updates for the AFL injury page so why not repeat it on our website?

It's worth having a look at Richmond's website.  Under our Teams tab there is AFL, AFLW and Coaches.  Under the Teams tab on the Richmond website there's AFL, AFLW, VFL, VFLW, VWFL (wheelchair), Fixtures, Open Training, Ladder and Academy.  Richmond also have Luke Meehan providing a detailed injury report; Prestia's likely to play, Short is doubtful.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
What a load of garbage LP 🙄

Having as many players as possible available for selection increases our chances of winning.  Your ‘subterfuge’ is simply poor communication by our club and has zero impact on the outcome of games.
Right, so Russia the Ukraine or any other combative force should just spill it's guts on casualties.

Of course subterfuge helps, disinformation or a lack of transparency helps in any combative situation, sport, war, politics, pretty much any circumstance, it's silly to suggest otherwise.

The Art of War applies in all circumstances, war, sport and life.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Right, so Russia the Ukraine or any other combative force should just spill it's guts on casualties.

Of course subterfuge helps, disinformation or a lack of transparency helps in any combative situation, sport, war, politics, pretty much any circumstance, it's silly to suggest otherwise.

The Art of War applies in all circumstances, war, sport and life.

You do make me laugh LP  :)

I'm reminded of the Melbourne Tigers' shuffle offence back in Lindsay Gaze's day.  He was happy to show opposition coaches how to run the offence because he knew that his team could execute it (and defend it) better than anyone else.  That's true Art of War!

Playing funny buggers with injuries doesn't win games of footy; they're won by better talent, tactics and execution.  Keeping shtum about Motlop's calf or Owies' hamstring won't make an iota of difference to Thursday's result.  That's why Richmond is open and up front about their injuries.  We are too, to a certain extent, but via the AFL website rather than our own.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
Cowan and Hollands both confirmed to make their debut Thursday night, I guess O’Brien is making way on one of the wings for Hollands and young Cowan will free up Docherty to play midfield.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #68
That's why Richmond is open and up front about their injuries.  We are too, to a certain extent, but via the AFL website rather than our own.
Nthmond have you nicely confused, it's called misdirection, and it's tactics 101!

Like when Dimma bleats about the poor treatment of his AFL Angel Cotchin, or how Dusty gets unfair physical attention from those opponents, you know those opponents he has to poke in the throat just to get a fair contest!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
Cowan and Hollands both confirmed to make their debut Thursday night, I guess O’Brien is making way on one of the wings for Hollands and young Cowan will free up Docherty to play midfield.

Great news for the (BlueBaggers growing up) kids.

Saad, McGovern and Moooooo launching attacks from defense. Great.

Reply #70
Rapt for the kids, hope they don't get overawed, hope they eat up the excitement and just be themselves.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
Nthmond have you nicely confused, it's called misdirection, and it's tactics 101!

Like when Dimma bleats about the poor treatment of his AFL Angel Cotchin, or how Dusty gets unfair physical attention from those opponents, you know those opponents he has to poke in the throat just to get a fair contest!

You really do take the cake LP!

I guess Vossy’s announcement that Hollands and Cowan will debut is just a smokescreen for the return of Walsh and Williams.

Anyway, we’ll see who was confused when the teams run out on Thursday.

And what’s Dimma got to do with AFL club websites?  Is that another “look over there” moment?

Reply #72

Great news for the young lads.  It was probably expected of Hollands but Cowan has really turned out to be an excellent pick up.  Losing Zac Williams helped his cause but I suspect that he would have forced his way into the team.

Good luck to both young men for their first win in navy blue!

I guess that means Cincotta’s not in the 22.

It wouldn’t surprise me if O’Brien is in the 22.  I guess it depends on whether we play Cerra as a winger.

Reply #73
I don’t bet on footy. I’m not even in a footy tipping comp and I don’t have a SuperCoach team. But I want to know about our opening game as much as possible. That’s what’s disappointing about the lack of news about it. In the past, there was an avalanche of detail about the teams and players leading into Rd 1, especially who is under an injury cloud and who isn’t. There’s more “celebrity footballer” stuff now, such as 2 players answering questions about who has the best haircut at the club or who has the weirdest laugh. But not so much hard footy news. There used to be previews of the upcoming matches. We’ll have to wait to see if that goes by the wayside too.

Reply #74
I don’t bet on footy. I’m not even in a footy tipping comp and I don’t have a SuperCoach team. But I want to know about our opening game as much as possible. That’s what’s disappointing about the lack of news about it. In the past, there was an avalanche of detail about the teams and players leading into Rd 1, especially who is under an injury cloud and who isn’t. There’s more “celebrity footballer” stuff now, such as 2 players answering questions about who has the best haircut at the club or who has the weirdest laugh. But not so much hard footy news. There used to be previews of the upcoming matches. We’ll have to wait to see if that goes by the wayside too.

Like you, I don’t bet on footy, aren’t in a tipping comp and can’t be bothered with SuperCoach.  I don’t fancy myself as a coach in waiting and I don’t buy LP’s misinterpretation of Sun Tzu or his comparison of AFL and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.  I just want timely and accurate information about our players, in all competitions.

We’ve probably got some whiz kid web manager who thinks that they know what supporters want.

I don’t mind the player interviews and mic’d up players/coaches at training, but that shouldn’t supplant good solid information about players, their form and their fitness.

The difference between the information provided by our website and those of other clubs is significant and it’s not good enough.