Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 5441 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
Despite the obvious inconvenience and logistical issues, the players safety has to be paramount in my view. If that can't be guaranteed, move it to Marvel or somewhere else.
Queenstown Tassie  maybe

Reply #31
Despite the obvious inconvenience and logistical issues, the players safety has to be paramount in my view. If that can't be guaranteed, move it to Marvel or somewhere else.

The G will be fine.  Despite the HUN's hysteria, it's just a routine process.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
One thing we know: if a player ends up injured as a result of shifting grass, every AFL and MCG official will agree that the concerts had nothing to do with it.

Reply #33
I'm having flashbacks to the Sydney final where they put new grass down from an NRL game. It didn't make us play too well, the ground kept shifting. This better not be the bloody same.  >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #34
Finished Rhino's career.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #35
The players alone are multi-million dollars assets, but they have an intrinsic worth far beyond that as a key injury to a specific player can unwind the fate of a whole club.

The MCG ground staff are professional, but it looks to me like the scheduling from the MCG management was very amateur, not sure any of Stephen Gough's replacements have lived up to expectation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Forecast for 30 degrees.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #37
On the back of what I've read about the VFL practice match last night, wouldn't surprise if all of McGovern, Martin and Pittonet are in for next Thursday night.

Reply #38
On the back of what I've read about the VFL practice match last night, wouldn't surprise if all of McGovern, Martin and Pittonet are in for next Thursday night.
I suspect Gov is a certainty, as much as he may be a whipping boy for some fans, he's an experienced and talented footballer who reads the game well. I suspect Weiters and Young would have him in the D50 without hesitation.

With the new sub rule I expect two genuine rucks, Pitto and TDK.

I can't be sure about Martin, I'd like to see him string together some good games at the lower level, but there might well be a few selection surprises.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
I suspect Gov is a certainty, as much as he may be a whipping boy for some fans, he's an experienced and talented footballer who reads the game well. I suspect Weiters and Young would have him in the D50 without hesitation.

With the new sub rule I expect two genuine rucks, Pitto and TDK.

I can't be sure about Martin, I'd like to see him string together some good games at the lower level, but there might well be a few selection surprises.

Reckon both will play for sure along with Pittonet...McGoverns only problem might be finding a suitable opponent given the Tigers go small and only play Lynch and Reiwoldt as talls down forward most weeks. Martin goes ok first up from a spell and plays ok vs the Tigers, and even though I have been a harsh critic Id be shocked if he wasnt in the team for this game.

Reply #40
Agreed EB and not sure they'll be able to throw Balta forward either if both Tarrant and Gibcus miss.

I think McGovern plays even without an ideal matchup....he plays more that intercept marking type anyway...but I remember those first couple of games last season and the feature was not only his intercept work but his precise field kicking outta the backline. If Docherty plays some midfield, McGovern a certainty IMO.

Reply #41

I thought Pitto was underdone against the Swans and the extra game will be good for him, particularly as the reports say that he was imposing himself in the last quarter.

I reckon all three will play.

Richmond has eleven players out injured or just coming back from rehab.  I reckon they should sack their fitness staff  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
Agreed EB and not sure they'll be able to throw Balta forward either if both Tarrant and Gibcus miss.

I think McGovern plays even without an ideal matchup....he plays more that intercept marking type anyway...but I remember those first couple of games last season and the feature was not only his intercept work but his precise field kicking outta the backline. If Docherty plays some midfield, McGovern a certainty IMO.
Surfie, Tigers will probably play Tylar Young who is a newbie KP defender and might be tempted to play Balta down forward at some stage. Id expect Docherty to play mainly down back this game given the opposition have more small forwards than most and we tend to struggle for smaller defenders. Tigers main chance of a win lies with probably three players imho and thats Lynch, Bolton and Martin and Id like my best lineup down back to quell that threat so I hope we dont get too experimental and move players like Docherty and McGovern up the ground looking to be overly offensive.

Reply #43
I’m sure the Tigers would be hoping that they can swing Balta forward at some stage, but surely that would only happen if Charlie and Harry have shockers or the Tigers see the game getting away from them and have to try something daring.

Grimes matches Charlie for height and weight but the fact is he’ll be 32 this year while Charlie is younger and rapidly improving. If the suggestions that Grimes might be aging out especially after his preseason was marred by a hamstring injury are true, Grimes will have his hands full. Spotting Harry 10cm, 14kg and 7 years makes it hard to see him taking Harry on regularly.

Balta might give away 12 cm to Harry but he matches him for bulk and is extremely athletic. No doubt Harry would prefer to see Balta up the other end. Tylar Young at 196cm is the tallest defender though he’s still 8cm short of Harry and he gives away 13 kg to him. To compete, he’ll need to rely on team defence, athleticism or defensive mastery. He’s hard to assess on the latter 2 criteria because he’s a mature age rookie pickup from Richmond VFL. He’s 24 but he didn’t start playing footy until 2019. Before that he played soccer and cricket. Maybe he is athletic, but could he have developed into a master defender in just 4 years (especially given he probably lost games in the middle of that due to Covid)? I call BS on that. He’d be up against one of the top key forwards in the AFL and I’m sure Harry will teach him a few lessons to help his development. He’d have his hands full with our 3rd tall, whether it be JSOS or TdK.

Of course, Tarrant may still get up and postpone Young’s debut but I’m sure Harry would enjoy that match up too, especially if Tarrant isn’t quite 100%.

Reply #44
Balta usually picks up Silvagni and followed him when he rucked last season.