Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 In Game Angst Carlton vs Richmond (Read 2076 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 In Game Angst Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #60
Positives.
 - I thought TDK did better than I expected him to.
 - Charlie and BigH got plenty of first hands to the footy, just couldn't hold many.
 - Hollands is a keeper, not too bad for a first game in that environment.
 - Cowans got plenty of footy, but needs a bit more composure and awareness, great experience for him.

Negatives.
 - Skills across the board were pretty poor, I just don't understand how professionals get to this point after a whole pre-season and can't complete simple skills.
 - Game plan exiting D50, what game plan!
 - Midfield was soundly defeated.
 - Lots of players looked rusty, or perhaps are carry injuries.
 - Acres was a bit underwhelming, I expected more from him but I was more impressed by Hollands.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
Weiters 100% game time, was pretty good, but our defence looked a bit disorganised compared to last season.

I think it's a dead-set certainty that we have two rucks next week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
Weiters 100% game time, was pretty good, but our defence looked a bit disorganised compared to last season.

Typically we struggle with small forwards so we actually did ok containing Martin and Bolton.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #63
Typically we struggle with small forwards so we actually did ok containing Martin and Bolton.
They fumbled and burnt a lot of opportunities though, out of character for them.

Just don't get how Dusty keeps getting away with fend-offs, he gets pinged once out of every 3 or 4.

Did we get any frees at all inside F50, Charlie was very stiff in my opinion and could have easily got frees for holding or high contact several times in the first 1/2?

We got pinged for blocking several times, Nthmond's small forwards jump around like lunatics metres off the ball staging high contact or in the back, blocking our defenders, but didn't get pinged once.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
They fumbled and burnt a lot of opportunities though, out of character for them.

Just don't get how Dusty keeps getting away with fend-offs, he gets pinged once out of every 3 or 4.

My voice is gone. Worst umpiring I have seen in a while.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #65

I think it's a dead-set certainty that we have two rucks next week.
Hopefully Geelong are still in party mode and under done, thought Nankervis beat TDK overall, our man was ok but the Richmond thug was important getting his big frame in traffic and making everything an ugly contest.

Reply #66
Hopefully Geelong are still in party mode and under done, thought Nankervis beat TDK overall, our man was ok but the Richmond thug was important getting his big frame in traffic and making everything an ugly contest.
With just a bit more composure TDK would have taken the points, he got big possessions then did the hot potato a few times which brought his efforts undone.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
We got comprehensively beaten on every stat lets take the two points and beat Geelong.

Reply #68
Several times Nthmond players made unrealistic attempts to mark, not even getting within 2 or 3 meters of the ball, but taking out our blokes to force a turnover, and I can't recall the umpires penalising one instance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
We got comprehensively beaten on every stat lets take the two points and beat Geelong.
Except we won 3 qtrs and led the vast majority of the game. Felt like 2pts blown, which is an improvement on 4pts last year...lol.

Reply #70
We are dreaming if we expect to make the final 4 with a pretend full forward.  Harry the heartbreaker has been playing with us since 2016 and tonight showed that he still does not know how to kick for goal. 

Contrast his 2 set shots for goal in the third quarter with Lynch's.  One a match killer, the latter a match winner.

Reply #71
We are dreaming if we expect to make the final 4 with a pretend full forward.  Harry the heartbreaker has been playing with us since 2016 and tonight showed that he still does not know how to kick for goal. 

Contrast his 2 set shots for goal in the third quarter with Lynch's.  One a match killer, the latter a match winner.

🤣🤣
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #72
Positives.
 - I thought TDK did better than I expected him to.
 - Charlie and BigH got plenty of first hands to the footy, just couldn't hold many.
 - Hollands is a keeper, not too bad for a first game in that environment.
 - Cowans got plenty of footy, but needs a bit more composure and awareness, great experience for him.

Negatives.
 - Skills across the board were pretty poor, I just don't understand how professionals get to this point after a whole pre-season and can't complete simple skills.
 - Game plan exiting D50, what game plan!
 - Midfield was soundly defeated.
 - Lots of players looked rusty, or perhaps are carry injuries.
 - Acres was a bit underwhelming, I expected more from him but I was more impressed by Hollands.
Just on the exits from D50, being at the ground I really noted how effective Richmond were at blocking the avenues out of our defence. I'd have to watch it again but us streaming through the middle in particular looked like a rarity. The game was played mostly on the interchange bench side of the ground.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #73

Whilst he he won't be happy with his game, its round 1, give them a chance.
Lynch was soundly beaten for 90% of the night but yes he did better with the opportunities presented. One frustrating thing for me with H is his immediate desire to wield around onto his left and play on (not talking about his set shot routine, just in general play up the ground). It might be on instruction to move the ball quickly but it seems a bit hit and miss. At the start of the game, we often moved it slowly and precisely with short kicks (like the Swans did in our praccy match). We mixed it up. I thought this strategy went almost out the window as the game wore on.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #74
My voice is gone. Worst umpiring I have seen in a while.
Because there is now four umpires I suspect the AFL has directed them to lay off the whistle so that it doesn't become a free kick fest.

But the same old problem remains, it's not the number of decisions, it's the variability in them that kills the game. For example, the holding on to Charlie all night, and yet in his contests I think he was pinged twice for holding the defender, yet as far as I know he did not receive a free for the same thing happening to him, you know it to be bad when BT starts highlighting a Carlton player as "A bit unlucky!"

The small Nthmond players continue to tunnel opponents, or throw their bodies at players well off the fall of the ball, yet almost none are penalised, is it a bizarre consequence of Dimma's continual complaining? You can see it in the Nthmond players attitude, they expect to beg and be rewarded, did you notice Dusty begging in puzzlement for being pinged for the fend off?

If TDK does what Nankervis does then TDK gets pinged for blocking, but Nankervis can charge across the centre line at the bounce and put out a straight arm or elbow free from repercussions.

Cotchin hardly had a play at the ball all night, he basically spent his time on the ground charging at opponents off the ball, yet he wasn't pinged for blocking once, at least twice Carlton players were pinged for blocking while shepherding a team-mate!

It's not the fact free are or are not awarded, it's the asymmetry.

Fans will point to Carlton getting more frees than Nthmond, but they must be reading stats and not watching the game, most of Carlton's frees last night came from successful tackles, pegging opponents with the footy, which is a huge plus for us.

I don't get why Cripps isn't protected to the same level as other players, he get's his head ripped off multiple times a match and is never given a free. It's like he is being penalised for being too strong to tackle, they try to tackle him, he shrugs it off and the tackle slips high, but he gets no reward. In the meantime, Dusty pokes another player in the throat and gets offended when once out of every 3 or 4 times he gets penalised!
The Force Awakens!