Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 4783 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #90
Watching the replay, I forgot about the point that rolled through for us in the 1/2 time siren. That ultimately cost Richmond the win which goes to show, EVERY score (or defending EVERY score) matters.
Oh yes! 😂 that makes me feel a lot better.

At the game I was a bit worried Lynch would get a point and we’d fluff it on our kick out afterwards so the draw was kind of a relief tbh.

Thought LOB did a fantastic run - he was only on for that quarter! His kick was probably a little
Late but dead on to H who unfortunately slipped 🤷🏻‍♀️

Shame about the last 20 seconds but take the 2 points and move on

Reply #91
Oh yes! 😂 that makes me feel a lot better.

At the game I was a bit worried Lynch would get a point and we’d fluff it on our kick out afterwards so the draw was kind of a relief tbh.

I had the same feelings. If Lynch kicked a behind I have no doubt they would have got the 7 point play.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #92
Seriously pathetic by the old man. I would be dead set embarrassed. He has form though so probably not a real surprise. Real shame

Yep.

Really embarrassing that SOS put his own bitterness ahead of his son's terrific achievement.

The moment is now lost and one that SOS will likely live to regret. The hurt and rejection that this action would have probably caused JSOS can only be imaged.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #93
I think his actions when spectating have shown his attitude and I agree its not right to include Jack in his bitterness towards the club and he should support his son and separate his feelings.
I think his tough 'hard to please' attitude is part of the reason Jack is as good as he is. Always trying to get his fathers approval sort of thing.

I'm sure the therapy sessions he goes through later in life will back that up.
At least for now, its benefiting us.

Reply #94
I think his tough 'hard to please' attitude is part of the reason Jack is as good as he is. Always trying to get his fathers approval sort of thing.

I'm sure the therapy sessions he goes through later in life will back that up.
At least for now, its benefiting us.
Being a parent isnt easy as a lot of us know but I always took the view work and business is separate from family and my wife and children would always be the priority and I would be there to support them and put them first.
I dont do forgiveness very well in terms of business and have been screwed over by an employer but I would have made an appearance, done the photo, told my son well done mate I am proud of you, shaken hands with the people I liked, ignored the ones I dont like then left without any fuss. I recently had to be civil and nice at a function to people I could have cheerfully fired up to Mars on a one way trip. I gave a lovely cheesy speech that I cringed about later but MrsE said do it for her as it was important and thats what you have to do when its family and Im still a bit shocked with SOS doing what he did as well as his performances in recent times when Jack has deserved some applause and praise during games and he has sat there with that scowl on his face..

Reply #95
Was on a hiding to nothing was SOS.

After the week that was mentioned about Jack and SOS and then St. Kilda, it was always going to be rough for Stephen to make his way into the rooms of an opposition club because there is intel that may get out.

They are privy to a lot of information that isnt public, and SOS was going to cop it no matter what if he was in there.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #96
Being a parent isnt easy as a lot of us know but I always took the view work and business is separate from family and my wife and children would always be the priority and I would be there to support them and put them first.
I dont do forgiveness very well in terms of business and have been screwed over by an employer but I would have made an appearance, done the photo, told my son well done mate I am proud of you, shaken hands with the people I liked, ignored the ones I dont like then left without any fuss. I recently had to be civil and nice at a function to people I could have cheerfully fired up to Mars on a one way trip. I gave a lovely cheesy speech that I cringed about later but MrsE said do it for her as it was important and thats what you have to do when its family and Im still a bit shocked with SOS doing what he did as well as his performances in recent times when Jack has deserved some applause and praise during games and he has sat there with that scowl on his face..

You're a good man EB.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #97

After the week that was mentioned about Jack and SOS and then St. Kilda, it was always going to be rough for Stephen to make his way into the rooms of an opposition club because there is intel that may get out.

They are privy to a lot of information that isnt public, and SOS was going to cop it no matter what if he was in there.
Its your son mate. Put your big boy pants on and get it done for him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #98
Its your son mate. Put your big boy pants on and get it done for him.

Had he gone in, there would have been a lot of talk about the club looking unproffesional letting in an opposition administrator, add a poached player to the Saints at the end of year, or a loss against the Saints and then what?

He will see his son after the game, and chat to him as a father and none of that crap will matter, and nor will it be something that causes some angst between the club and Jack.

Like I said was on a hiding to nothing.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #99
In a way I can kind of relate to what Jack may be experiencing.
My Dad was on the board of an RSL club and good friends with the secretary-manager.
It was my first job, working as a barman.
After a year or two they had a falling out.
Life suddenly became a bit uncomfortable.
One duty manager in particular went out of his way to give us a bit of a hard time. I spent some time cleaning ashtrays, and taking the reserved sign off poker machines if the patron had stayed away too long.... (world's worst job for abuse)
I kept working and eventually this bloke came to me and said he was sorry for some of the issues we'd had and that he admired the way I'd stuck with it.
Dad and the boss also patched up their quarrel, but I'd left by then.

I believed SOS's issues were more with individuals and not the club, but it seems that even with their departure some problems still remain.
Are these issues with a few folk still involved at the club at a higher level....who knows?

Perhaps the Silvagni situation highlights something we've argued about in the past.
Is it a good idea for a father to be in a position of responsibility such as coach or list manager at a team where his son plays?
It can work while everything is travelling well (e.g. the Cleary's at Penrith in the NRL).
But when it goes pear-shaped and there is an acrimonious split it causes a bit of grief...especially for the player.
Jack doesn't need that distraction.

Reply #100
You're a good man EB.
I try to be GTC but everyone has their moments they regret...Family always come first though and I know you and most of the crew on the forum would see it the same and be there for your wife and kids when required even when it means having to swallow your pride and take a hit for the team.

Reply #101

Spot on.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #102

You dont think SOS strolling in to celebrate his sons achievement with his chin up would have shown who the bigger and better man was. I probably would have said Im proud of Jack and the list I built and its great seeing the club successful now its being managed by a class operator in Brian Cook..or words to that effect.

Reply #103
Had he gone in, there would have been a lot of talk about the club looking unproffesional letting in an opposition administrator, add a poached player to the Saints at the end of year, or a loss against the Saints and then what?

He will see his son after the game, and chat to him as a father and none of that crap will matter, and nor will it be something that causes some angst between the club and Jack.

with respect, rubbish. I can't remember who, maybe someone else can, but recently an official from another club was in the rooms or at the club to support his son's. Maybe it was a boy who was drafted? In any case, nothing was said, at the end of the day, clubs are professional. The media, well someone like SOS has been around long enough to not take much notice. He has actually caused more of a drama by doing what he has done. Just a kent in my opinion, he and Ross make a good couple.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #104

And those who brought up that line of being unprofessional etc would be shouted down by the masses who are pointing out its a club great celebrating with his son. For that night only, he was a father, not an administrator.

SOS' biggest shortfall is also his greatest asset.....his stubborness. He used it as a footballer to ensure he wouldn't get beaten by his opponent either forward or back. Its come back to bite him post career with his falling out with the club.....twice.

Nobody is perfect. Majority would NOT have done what SOS did (or didn't do) but thats what makes SOS, SOS. Take him as he is, warts and all.