Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 4566 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
Our midfield is one paced and we struggle to move or break any lines and can’t deliver the final blow all the good team can when on top. We keep them all within striking distance and then clam up when the pressure keeps building.

Really miss Walsh as a connecting player and we are still carrying too many players who do very little yet still keep their spot.

I know it’s only round one but I didn’t see a finals team tonight.

Reply #16
Lacked some composure in key moments of the game, played well for most it but felt we needed a little more desperation when they had control.

WTF is that sign with the power point on it ??

Three-mins to go and they are coaches box are calling out to close-up shop ?? Was too early to ice the game and it came back to bite us on the clack. Everyone learnt a valuable lesson from that decision tonite.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #17
Depends on if you rate Richmond as this big improver that everyone seems to see them as with Taranto and Hopper as inclusions...
I dont see it and reckon we probably blew 2 points to a midpack team......a few of the Tiger golden oldies are cooked imo and I reckon they will struggle as the season goes on.

Cripps and TDK were quiet until third quarter.
Our ground ball forward of center other than Motlop  were extremely poor.
I think we should be happy with the result. Unfortunately we need Crippa firing on all cylinders every game and I think thats more than acceptable. Not sure if Honey and Durdin would have made a difference tbh but need better ground ball players forward of center.

Reply #18
Lacked some composure in key moments of the game, played well for most it but felt we needed a little more desperation when they had control.

WTF is that sign with the power point on it ??

Three-mins to go and they are coaches box are calling out to close-up shop ?? Was too early to ice the game and it came back to bite us on the clack. Everyone learnt a valuable lesson from that decision tonite.

We tried unsuccessfully to waste time with 6 minutes left but then went for broke with 90 seconds remaining when we were up by 6 points WTF????
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #19
I rate the Rich midfield, they belted us in the middle in the the 3rd quarter. Four or five clearances in a row got them right back in the game. Taranto led the charge.

Before the game, during the warm up, Teague had the ruck bag out as our boys were walking off. Some of our blokes went over and said gday. Many walked the other way and didnt. Gov Martin TDK were some of the ones that did, Cripps Doc Fish Charlie were in the group that didn’t. Though it was interesting.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Thought Gov was pretty solid for 99% of the night, then had a few howlers.
Weiters did well on Lynch all night, got caught out by an assy bloke by Taranto hich allowed Lynch to mark it and goal to square the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21
Blacres will rue that dropped mark in the dying seconds.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #22
Apparently Jack was upset his old man didnt go into the rooms for the post match photos with family. I know he works at another club but it’s your son mate.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
Apparently Jack was upset his old man didnt go into the rooms for the post match photos with family. I know he works at another club but it’s your son mate.
Seriously pathetic by the old man. I would be dead set embarrassed. He has form though so probably not a real surprise. Real shame

Reply #24
Thought Gov was pretty solid for 99% of the night, then had a few howlers.
Weiters did well on Lynch all night, got caught out by an assy bloke by Taranto hich allowed Lynch to mark it and goal to square the game.
Tend to agree on McGovern, he wasnt what I call 100% secure down back but he wasnt terrible either and at least he was trying when he made those mistakes. Think he was the player that gifted Dusty with the 1st goal from memory after spilling a mark he should have taken but he seemed to settle after that. Weitering did well on Lynch but three goals probably took the gloss off his game.
Acres looked a bit nervous all night and was a tad disappointing although the Richmond wingers were equally as innocuous imho.
Both teams seem to mirror each other in terms of players contributing and others doing SFA......

Reply #25
We had a lot of players who were very ordinary. Got smashed at I50's and thought we were mauled at the stoppages but I'm still gutted we couldn't hold on for the win. Bloody O'brien should have kicked to H way earlier than he did but didn't. Then Harry slips over on what I would suggest was a ground that had been resurfaced. Guess we were lucky to get some points but doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Reply #26
Start of the 3rd quarter i had that here we go again sinking feeling.

Never felt comfortable and still dissapointed to see players not thinking their way through the game.  We go to pressure the ball carrier leaving a man free behind and predictably, I see the hunter just being passed by and then having to chase tail.

Its a mortal sin to allow your opponents that much time by "applying pressure".  I would have thought it smarter not to commit and make the opposition defender advance artificially closing space whilst drawing them up field, and giving your team mates time to shuffle in.

It happens time and time again, which baffles me. 

Ultimately not taking our opportunities when they present cost us the game.  We missed finals last year by half a percent.  2 points is a dangerous thing to throw away in that equation.

We looked a bit too one paced and Richmond looked spritely by comparison.

A 4th umpire isn't helping the game.  Still seeing the throws, the rubbish free kicks and not sure why Shai Bolton is a protected species.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
Probably more about the way SOS got axed from the club and not wanting anything to do with CFC, I was told he wanted Jack to leave Carlton so he is holding a grudge real bad and I hope it doesnt turn into one of those lifelong grudges.

Reply #28
Tend to agree on McGovern, he wasnt what I call 100% secure down back but he wasnt terrible either and at least he was trying when he made those mistakes. Think he was the player that gifted Dusty with the 1st goal from memory after spilling a mark he should have taken but he seemed to settle after that. Weitering did well on Lynch but three goals probably took the gloss off his game.
Acres looked a bit nervous all night and was a tad disappointing although the Richmond wingers were equally as innocuous imho.
Both teams seem to mirror each other in terms of players contributing and others doing SFA......

Lynches goals were in the 3rd and 4th qtrs
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #29
Also, with Richmond, never seen a team kick the ball blindly off the ground, or in one case into the knee of an opposing player, so much and see it end up in the hands of a teammate.