Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 4553 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
We had a lot of players who were very ordinary. Got smashed at I50's and thought we were mauled at the stoppages but I'm still gutted we couldn't hold on for the win. Bloody O'brien should have kicked to H way earlier than he did but didn't. Then Harry slips over on what I would suggest was a ground that had been resurfaced. Guess we were lucky to get some points but doesn't make it any easier to swallow.
Pretty sure they only resurfaced the centre area, the ends weren’t touched. I may be wrong but…
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Pretty sure they only resurfaced the centre area, the ends weren’t touched. I may be wrong but…
nah they did large portions of the field.  Looked like a giant jigsaw puzzle with about 2/3 resurfaced.   The ground was easily chopped up southern stand side.

Its going to be a long year at the G.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Probably more about the way SOS got axed from the club and not wanting anything to do with CFC, I was told he wanted Jack to leave Carlton so he is holding a grudge real bad and I hope it doesnt turn into one of those lifelong grudges.
grow some balls, put your differences aside and support your boy. Its not Always about  you Stephen. Jo will set him straight when they get home. As Rocky said, pathetic.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
Lynches goals were in the 3rd and 4th qtrs
Three in a low scoring game on one of the premier FB's in the league makes him a contributor much like Charlie was at the other end imho. What did you think of Jack Martins game?...did I miss anything that he did behind play that could class him as a contributor? or could we have put a corpse on the field in jumper No 21 and got the same result?

Reply #34
grow some balls, put your differences aside and support your boy. Its not Always about  you Stephen. Jo will set him straight when they get home. As Rocky said, pathetic.
I think his actions when spectating have shown his attitude and I agree its not right to include Jack in his bitterness towards the club and he should support his son and separate his feelings.

Reply #35
Doc had a crack at SOS for sitting in his car in the carpark while Jack was recognised for his 100 game milestone.  Fair enough too!

Steven may be working for another club but that's insensitive behaviour at best.

I think that Rita's comment about it being sad that Sergio wasn't there to see Jack's 100th game was spot on.  He would have been so proud of his grandson.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36

A 4th umpire isn't helping the game. 

Some debatable (non)decisions but I thought the umps did a pretty good job and showed more common sense than I have been used to seeing. If having an extra umpire contributed to that performance, I am all for it.

Great to see Dusty penalized for several unsuccessful fend-offs - even better to see so many unsuccessful fend-offs.

Reply #37
Lynch, being a true full forward, took full advantage of his limited opportunities, went through a set procedure and kicked accurately. 

On the other hand, Harry seems to rely on thought bubbles when taking his set shots - "Will I kick around the corner? Will I kick directly at the goal?"  He is just as likely to answer the question by trying to run around the man on the mark and hope for the best.

When Lynch lifted in the third and fourth quarters he lifted the morale of Richmond.  Harry's efforts with set shots in the third were morale killers.

If you were asked to list Carlton players on their ability to kick a goal from a set shot to win a match, where would you place Harry?

I'm sure Lynch would be in Richmond's top 3.

Until Carlton gets real with Harry and his kicking for goal a place in the Final 4 is likely to remain as elusive as ever.

Reply #38
Lynch missed a couple of sitters as well

Reply #39
We played on Richmonds terms all game and did not lose

That was my takeaway from the game as well.
They didn't dictate the game but they were suited by the way it was played. I know that seems a bit vague, and it's a little hard to explain but it was what I was feeling through the game.
It was helped by some sloppy efforts by our guys.
Cobwebs that needed shaking out, and with a few new guys we'll be better for the run.
McGovern takes that first missed mark 9 times out of 10...and credit to him that he settled pretty much after that, although he had a few poor moments  again at the end.
McKay slipping over at the end was costly and he missed a few goals, but he was pretty active and seemed in good touch.
Charlie on the other hand seemed out of sorts early in the game and took a while to work into it.
Things like that will work themselves out as the season goes and the touch comes back.

Looking on the bright side....
They went in as favourites and will probably be a part of the pointy end of the year.
I thought our defence was really good, especially the three tall backs, with a special mention to Young.
We lost the first minute and we lost the last minute but outscored them in the remaining part of the game. :D
Our last draw against Richmond was in 1972.
We had some good tussles with them that year...and it finished on a bright note. ;)
So here's hoping.

Reply #40
Fisher is a disappointing footballer imo. 6 touches in first quarter and then 1 more for the next 3.

Did not touch the footy after half time. Nothing.

Martin is even worse imo. The bloke jogs around at half pace and shows no desire to get out of first gear.

Both of these guys are teasers.

If we are going to make the leap up we can’t accept consistent below par performances regardless of their potential or highlight reel cameos they pull out every now and then.

Prefer to see blokes like kemp honey given more chances.

Reply #41
Panic?

You must have watched a different game!

We should have killed the ball that Lynch marked but, until then, we had control of the game.  Similarly, Motlop’s handball was the right choice in most circumstances but not this time … but how many games has he played?

One minute to go
in clear possession with a mark
 in front
Lost
Maybe not panic……but

Reply #42
Doc had a crack at SOS for sitting in his car in the carpark while Jack was recognised for his 100 game milestone.  Fair enough too!

Steven may be working for another club but that's insensitive behaviour at best.

I think that Rita's comment about it being sad that Sergio wasn't there to see Jack's 100th game was spot on.  He would have been so proud of his grandson.

Typical or sos. Always been about him.

Massive ego.

Rapt he is no longer in our club in any capacity.

Reply #43
Once again it was the same old Carlton forward line plan.
When approaching the 50m arc just kick it long to a contest! Job done. (Don't go and find your player to be ready to defend)
Why is it Carlton's modus operandi is to never kick to a leading forward? Oh wait! Because our forwards don't work hard enough to get on a lead.
It's not good footy!
Other clubs do it and do it well.
We are still getting cut up when a turnover happens. Richmond are a well drilled team and set up well.
Harry the Heartbreaker, zero awareness, zero brains, zero practicing over the break, zero improvement. Nothing has changed.
Yes he may be getting the ball the further up the ground but he just turns and kicks without THINKING.
His goal kicking is atrocious. Go back to U16s if you want to kick like that.
Both teams could've and should've won it but both teams lost it.
Another year of pain.
Great goal by Doc.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #44
100% shawno.  No free games on reputation.  No passengers.  If we want to go to the next level we can't keep going back to that well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?