Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong (Read 5345 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #75
Ed Curnow isnt the greatest player on earth but you know you are going to get 4 quarters of unbridled workrate and commitment to each and every contest.  Our first goal (Fisher) was Ed working to the front of a marking contest and roving the ball drop before handing off.

He is the type of player that gets to 300 games and no one talks about, but is a heart and soul player.  We have had a habit of flinging them off the list in the past just to go for the bright shiny uncommitted draft pick whos heart isnt in it, and IMHO, its these types of players that instil the very culture that takes you to a flag.

Get rid of him at our own peril IMHO. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #76
Ed Curnow isnt the greatest player on earth but you know you are going to get 4 quarters of unbridled workrate and commitment to each and every contest.  Our first goal (Fisher) was Ed working to the front of a marking contest and roving the ball drop before handing off.

He is the type of player that gets to 300 games and no one talks about, but is a heart and soul player.  We have had a habit of flinging them off the list in the past just to go for the bright shiny uncommitted draft pick whos heart isnt in it, and IMHO, its these types of players that instil the very culture that takes you to a flag.

Get rid of him at our own peril IMHO.

I think that Ed got the extra year because Vossy values the attributes you mentioned Thry.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
Ed Curnow simply needs to stick to what he's good at, and avoid the rest. So long as that happens, he should be fine. He's not a playmaker, not a distributor, not a finisher, and should leave those duties to others.

Reply #78
Ed Curnow simply needs to stick to what he's good at, and avoid the rest. So long as that happens, he should be fine. He's not a playmaker, not a distributor, not a finisher, and should leave those duties to others.
Ed Curnow gets Isaac Smith this week......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #79

I think Ed will be spoilt for choice : Dangerfield, Cam Guthrie, Smith as you say, Max Holmes.........a few players that need close checking IMO.

Reply #80
Our mids won't face Nankervis and Taranto laying 20 tackles between them in clearances.

Our mids really need to stamp their authority on this one and give our backs a chop out for a week.

Good game for TDK to shine.

Reply #81
I think Ed will be spoilt for choice : Dangerfield, Cam Guthrie, Smith as you say, Max Holmes.........a few players that need close checking IMO.

I reckon that we would probably have a few more players that need close checking ... not that Geelong usually bother with that.  I imagine that it will just be players going head to head with Ed getting a run with role if one of the Geelong prime movers is doing too miuch damage.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
Our mids won't face Nankervis and Taranto laying 20 tackles between them in clearances.

Our mids really need to stamp their authority on this one and give our backs a chop out for a week.

Good game for TDK to shine audition for.
EFA
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
I think Acres has to get Smith, we recruited him to play on the taller wingers and he owes us a good game after being very average last week.
I'd save Ed for Dangerfield, Guthrie will probably tag Cripps at stoppages then run off him. Going to be a real chess game of moves...hopefully Hewett plays and can help Cripps and Kennedy.

Reply #84
IMO I'd have Pittonet/Dow in for Martin and maybe Owies.....and leave Fisher and Motlop as the small forwards....Dow as the extra midfielder. JSOS can play forward/mid and not worry about getting smashed around the ground trying to ruck.

Reply #85
The Geelong outs will certainly help, and do give us a better chance, but I still think they'll be too strong. Cats by 2 goals.

Reply #86
Dow could come in for Georgie.

Reckon Walsh is half a chance too. Even if he is on crutches, you'd pick him over Dow wouldn't you.

Reply #87
On crutches with a back injury? Hell no!

This is different to the ligament replacement last year. As we found out, as soon as it was inserted, his ankle was good to go, at least after the swelling caused by the keyhole surgery abated. No such luck with back injuries. Leave him be until he’s fully over it and then wait another week or 2 to make sure he won’t have a relapse.

Reply #88
Reckon Walsh is half a chance too. Even if he is on crutches, you'd pick him over Dow wouldn't you.
Id be playing Dow and showing some faith in him....put him on a like for like player in Holmes and give him the job of running with him and show he can handle responsibility and be a reliable senior player.

Reply #89
On crutches with a back injury? Hell no!

This is different to the ligament replacement last year. As we found out, as soon as it was inserted, his ankle was good to go, at least after the swelling caused by the keyhole surgery abated. No such luck with back injuries. Leave him be until he’s fully over it and then wait another week or 2 to make sure he won’t have a relapse.
If there was a 'crutch' equivalent to a back injury i would've used it. There wasn't a realistic equivalent.

Even if you rest him for the rest of the year (like we'd done with Gov and Durdin) it doesn't mean your back will come good or not.
Walsh has a history of being a good, quick healer and an excellent preperation. If he is 90% right, he'd be better value to us than Dow at 100%.