Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 5052 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
1. After sitting through the Adelaide Oval Crows debacle I mentioned the old football coaches cry "pick up your man!
When CFC kick out after point score, other teams man us up and put us straight under pressure.  We often allowed Brisbane to easily kick short to a player.  We did have the same number of players, didn't we?  

2. Witches hats when Brisbane had the ball and heading deep into their forward line. Yes our guys do the right and run down there, but then some (like Motlop) seem to be mesmerised, just stand there and don't man up.     

Plenty of effort at times , but not well directed.

AB
I noted that they went man on man at our kicks more often than zone. We didn't know what to do and couldn't pin point a Carlton jumper who managed to get a meter away from his opponent. I feel like a broken record this morning.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61

Carlton's rebuild going to plan  ::) ... just needs time.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #62
I get your point. But there is a place for both. Obviously a 'boundaries' issue.

Carlton Respects is a brilliant initiative and makes a difference, a real difference in imperative areas throughout the community.

However, there needs to be a clear line and understanding between training/ on-field attitude and off-field behaviour. Come game day and once we hit the grass we are far too easy to intimidate and other clubs know it. Time to become pro-active with the ruthlessness and mongrel persistence, rather than learning how to 'cope' with an opponents aggression and seeking to absorb rather than create.

We played bruise free footy last night. Hope we don't throw a game per year based on social issues as opponents smell blood when they know our history to this event and it showed again.

Reply #63

Carlton's rebuild going to plan  ::) ... just needs time.

They finished the Pyramids in quicker time. ::)

Reply #64
I'm convinced that rebuilds don't work, period.  And they don't work when your culture is ingrained mediocrity and hopelessness.

Norf and the Whorks are delusional if they are going to be anything other than hopeless for years.  Chuck the weegles and Freo as well   You need a once in a century coach for starters, and we don't have that person.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #65
Matthew Kennedy 26% game time (just over 30minutes)

13 disposals, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 5 inside 50s, 4 score involvements, 306 metres gained. ::)

Reply #66
New day and the pain isn't as severe this morning. Maybe because I've had so many years of the same stuff I'm getting a bit immune? Thanks to peeps like PaulP and 3Lions who have a positive spin on things but I've already heard the phrase "flat-track bullies" used this morning on SEN and that really cuts to the core.
Hope the magoos have a few shining lights in this morning's game.

Reply #67
13 disposals, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 5 inside 50s, 4 score involvements, 306 metres gained. ::)
Should be enough to secure his spot next week ..... As the SUB!

Reply #68
Social issues has no place in sports imo. Defacing club colours is even worse. It's a worth while cause but there are other ways to promote the cause. Prefer if we had Charlie Blue eating raw meat. Facts on the ground is we don't win games with "respect" at the forefront of players minds and it has to be replaced by "ruthless" ASAP.

Whether or not social issues have a place in sport is a separate issue.

Perhaps we should have a Carlton Caveman day, or get Bettina Arndt to organise a Carlton #mentoo day ? I guess we could say that we lost the Adelaide game because our team of "choirboys" was so enamoured with the city of Churches that they forgot to train and spent the time praying instead ? This sort of thinking belongs in the realm of astrology, like saying we lost because there was an Aquarius moon in a Taurus rising.

You, me and everyone else on here have no idea what was on the players minds. Fact is we lost the game the same way we lose all games - in general not playing 4 quarters and sloppy ball use.

Reply #69
I'd drop Young after that wimpy game he played last night but we have nothing to bring in apart from tall Durdin and I don't fancy him vs the Dogs talls.
Could understand why Voss yanked him off as he was pathetic with his physicality.

Reply #70
Our whole organization from the very top to the boot studder is not ruthless enough and don't want it enough and out list has no leadership to correct anything.

Despite all the hope and talk again we are still miles off the pace. No leadership on this list and they just take performances like that on the chin without a whimper. We are a list filled with nice guys and none have a any sort of hard ruthless edge.  Our captain was smiling after the game with Lachie Neale after he had a stinker while his direct opponent comprehensively smashed him and yet he still can smile?  And all those that say that means nothing are kidding themself.  We are powerless to do anything to change an outcome if it's not on our terms we have too many holes in a very unbalanced list to be genuine contenders. In the third quarter when we were jammed in our D50 and couldn't get out and not one player knew WTF to do. We looked stunned and just kept turning it over. It took a soft 50 metre penalty to get us out.

We are the ultimate teasers, pretenders that melt as soon as the heat is applied. And our opposition know it!

Again like so many pre seasons out list is talked up and many including me fall for it. Then the talk stops and we see teams below us with much less fanfare leapfrog over us and teams above us continue to pull away while we just pretend it all about to turn around any minute. Reality is another season has gone down the drain and i no longer have any belief our club is ever going to amount to anything.

Reply #71
Whether or not social issues have a place in sport is a separate issue.

Perhaps we should have a Carlton Caveman day, or get Bettina Arndt to organise a Carlton #mentoo day ? I guess we could say that we lost the Adelaide game because our team of "choirboys" was so enamoured with the city of Churches that they forgot to train and spent the time praying instead ? This sort of thinking belongs in the realm of astrology, like saying we lost because there was an Aquarius moon in a Taurus rising.

You, me and everyone else on here have no idea what was on the players minds. Fact is we lost the game the same way we lose all games - in general not playing 4 quarters and sloppy ball use.

We don't need to have any of these events - the only thing this club needs is to be ingrained by elite ruthlessness every single day of the week

Reply #72

Ill spew if he is Sub next week. Needs to be in the Guts !!!!!

Reply #73
Ok were do i start.
- Do our players know how to setup at centre bounces?
- Do we have a system to come out of the backline after a point is kicked?
- Do our forwards work hard enough up the ground?
- Do our players know how to kick to a leading player?
- Do our players know how to kick?
- Do our players know how to make a good decision?

So we won (apparently) most of the stats last night except for the main one. THE SCORE BORAD.
We will not be playing finals this year because there are not enough bad team below us for us to beat.
Dont know what else to say, most of it has been said in the previous post, is this what we now are going to get from our club all the time.

Rant over

Reply #74
Our whole organization from the very top to the boot studder is not ruthless enough and don't want it enough and out list has no leadership to correct anything.

Despite all the hope and talk again we are still miles off the pace. No leadership on this list and they just take performances like that on the chin without a whimper. We are a list filled with nice guys and none have a any sort of hard ruthless edge.  Our captain was smiling after the game with Lachie Neale after he had a stinker while his direct opponent comprehensively smashed him and yet he still can smile?  And all those that say that means nothing are kidding themself.  We are powerless to do anything to change an outcome if it's not on our terms we have too many holes in a very unbalanced list to be genuine contenders. In the third quarter when we were jammed in our D50 and couldn't get out and not one player knew WTF to do. We looked stunned and just kept turning it over. It took a soft 50 metre penalty to get us out.

We are the ultimate teasers, pretenders that melt as soon as the heat is applied. And our opposition know it!

Again like so many pre seasons out list is talked up and many including me fall for it. Then the talk stops and we see teams below us with much less fanfare leapfrog over us and teams above us continue to pull away while we just pretend it all about to turn around any minute. Reality is another season has gone down the drain and i no longer have any belief our club is ever going to amount to anything.

Sad to say it but you are correct. Following on from the Adelaide game the third quarter last night laid bare how mediocre our list is.

We do not have  small forwards capable of making an impact on a game. If H and Charlie are held it's game over.

We have a number one ruckman who was thrashed by McInerney, and our midfield were deprived of first use of the ball.  At best Pittonet is a one dimensional, solid plodder.

We have a midfield that is easily brushed aside and is incapable of playing to a losing ruck.

Like so many previous years we have a defence which is placed under enormous pressure because of the failings of players further up the field.  Unfortunately Weiters and Young are not handling the pressure well and basic mistakes are costing us big time.

In the last quarter Brisbane took the foot of the pedal and just did enough to win.  What followed was the usual junk time goals.

No doubt when all the stars are in alignment this list will tease us with a win now and again and raise our hopes, but the reality is that mental fragility combined with a lack of basic skills under pressure will ensure that we stay in the bottom half of the ladder for the foreseeable future.