Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5770 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #105
Weitering is our best intercept defender but he is also our best defender against the opposition's best tall forward - I would like to see him used as an intercept defender.
Agree, he's wasted as a FB, and he slowly losing all the kicking skills he already had when he arrived at Carlton, it's such a waste!

It's like we expect the backline to continually patch up the concessions we make in transition and across the midfield, we expect our Mids and HFs not to chase and catch, so we expect backline to work miracles!

I'd just concede goals if it makes it to fullback, and I'd put all my resources into stopping it from getting there in the first place! This also reduces the amount of transition running Mids and HFs have to do, leaving them to work harder in shorter bursts!

I remember when the Handbaggers were flying with Harry Taylor at FB, he spent half his game well forward of centre stopping the opposition run before it even got started and having the odd shot at goal, the Handbaggers at that time with the likes of Ling and Hunt were not overly quick. That to me is how we should use Weitering, in duo with McGovern, between them they should be capable of an intercept zone the full width of the playing surface! But to work, you must have HFs and SFs, that apply defensive pressure, SoJ, Motlop, Durdin, Owies, do they have it, to me the most likely to make a run down tackle is BigH?

If Young wants to be a rucking free defender, then with his size tell him to go be a FB.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #107
Must admit that the prospect of Dow being selected does not fill me with great anticipation.  I can't remember the last time he impressed in the seniors.  I haven't seen him in the VFL but reports certainly aren't encouraging.

I am sure a lot of people are not filled with great anticipation about Dow but if he keeps picking up 40 touches in the magoos and doesn't get selected then it makes a complete mockery of the actual selection process.

We have guys in the seniors who are coasting with low tackle counts & low disposal numbers who keep being gifted games. You can't tell me there isn't a correlation between the selection policy & the onfield results !!!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #108
Says the person who has been breaking down our list to the cm for years proclaiming we need taller players ad nauseum.

Completely miss the point there Kruds ........   :o
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #109
I am sure a lot of people are not filled with great anticipation about Dow but if he keeps picking up 40 touches in the magoos and doesn't get selected then it makes a complete mockery of the actual selection process.
Wouldn't be the first to suffer that fate at Carlton, McLean did even better. Despite multiple chances to pick him up we lost Kane Lambert for similar reasons.

Dow won't be the last!

PS; We have a long long history of taking highly in form VFL players and running them into the ground in VFL until they are on a form slide, at which time we give them an AFL gig so we can justify our earlier ignoring of them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110

We have guys in the seniors who are coasting with low tackle counts & low disposal numbers who keep being gifted games. You can't tell me there isn't a correlation between the selection policy & the onfield results !!!

That may well be the case but I'm yet to be convinced that Dow would provide an improvement at AFL level.  Btw if he were selected I would be delighted if he played well.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #111
just listened to Voss presser. I hope there are some serious changes.

TDK, Hewitt (sub) into the team. Don't think Dow will come in as Voss said we have plenty of inside mids and the MC wants continuity. Go figure.

Outs - any player who took a backward step last week, although we can't drop half the team.

Reply #112
My mail is JSOS and Young are in the gun.

Reply #113
That may well be the case but I'm yet to be convinced that Dow would provide an improvement at AFL level.  Btw if he were selected I would be delighted if he played well.
As supporters outside the walls of the organisation, we obviously dont possess any facts around selection or non selection of players. However we do see the end results of selection and can only trust that the MS are making the right calls. Dow is an odd one, he is getting a lot of the footy week in week out in the twos and he does posses a trait all of our current first choice mids dont, break away speed. For that reason alone, give us a look at him MC, unless the data they may posses suggests otherwise, he cannot possibly do any worse than those currently playing in the ones.
Over on BF there was a suggestion from someone they heard the only change this week will be Fisher for SOS.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #114
When asked about Dow, Vossy trotted out that tired excuse/reason that we are full of inside mids so breaking into that area is going to be difficult.
1. Yes, and our inside mids have all been performing brilliantly this year.
2. Lack of imagination. Pidgeon holing Dow as only an inside mid is just plain silly. The bloke has been dominating in the Magoos so he can play the game. There would be other options/positions he could have been trialled in to fill a need. Such limited/little thinking is disappointing.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #115
As supporters outside the walls of the organisation, we obviously dont possess any facts around selection or non selection of players. However we do see the end results of selection and can only trust that the MS are making the right calls. Dow is an odd one, he is getting a lot of the footy week in week out in the twos and he does posses a trait all of our current first choice mids dont, break away speed. For that reason alone, give us a look at him MC, unless the data they may posses suggests otherwise, he cannot possibly do any worse than those currently playing in the ones.
Over on BF there was a suggestion from someone they heard the only change this week will be Fisher for SOS.

If that change is true then I will be in despair.  Fisher has done nothing in the VFL to warrant a return to the firsts. 

Reply #116
Laughable if Fisher in is the only change? We surely couldn't go in with Owies, Motlop, Durdin AND Fisher all in the starting 22? I know the SCG is a smaller ground but that just wouldn't make sense. Other than Owies, none of them are regularly hitting the scoreboard. For all their injuries, Sydney still have a forward line with Franklin, Papley, Heeney etc.....and Luke Parker makes a habit of playing well against us, and kicking goals. I'd have Hewett in this week to run with Parker.

Reply #117
If that change is true then I will be in despair.  Fisher has done nothing in the VFL to warrant a return to the firsts.
Actually in his first VFL game I thought Fisher was OK as he got plenty of footy, but the negative was he still wasted it.

I just can't accept that players who waste the footy in the relatively low pressure VFL environment will miraculously get better when they play AFL! :o

These blokes should be getting near 40 possessions and be going at +80% when they play VFL, if they are as good as they claim!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
My mail is JSOS and Young are in the gun.
I could be completely off the mark here but from my vantage point on Sunday, I thought Young did well to take up the slack from Weiters. I thought he was the only one in the backline holding it together while the rest were like the Keystone cops.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #119
Laughable if Fisher in is the only change? We surely couldn't go in with Owies, Motlop, Durdin AND Fisher all in the starting 22? I know the SCG is a smaller ground but that just wouldn't make sense. Other than Owies, none of them are regularly hitting the scoreboard. For all their injuries, Sydney still have a forward line with Franklin, Papley, Heeney etc.....and Luke Parker makes a habit of playing well against us, and kicking goals. I'd have Hewett in this week to run with Parker.
Agree their forward line is still their weapon and they have players who can hurt us....Heeney if on will be a real problem as we dont have a matchup for his type of player. Id be wanting someone to look after Warner too, dont want that scenario where he plays on Cripps at the stoppages then runs off on his own. Agree on Parker, plays that dual role and I dont want a chump like Boyd picking him when he goes forward given Saad will probably have to take Papley.

Down back they are very small and under manned and we should win this game imho given how many defenders they have out