Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney (Read 4974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #120
The MC need to seriously have a look at the game style.   It revolves around contested ball, but we got figured out halfway through last season.   Instead of making the change we double down.

Most sides have 1-2 contested bulls max.   See Jarrad Lyons out of the Lions side and WIll Brodie can't get a game at Freo.  Pies have Mitchell and maybe Adams.  That's it.    It isn't because they aren't good footballers, but too slow to defender and to slow with ball use.

Our list build saw us add Hewitt to Cripps, Kennedy, E.Curnow, Setterfield and Dow.   Even Cerra.   Waiting on Carroll.   Haven't seen enough.   It's just too many inside mids when really only 2 should be in the side.

We play 3-4 and what we get is Kennedy playing off half back, Cerra half back against the Dogs and Curnow half forward or half back.

The same time we have added Doc to the midfield with no success.   He is not a natural mid.

Only 2 of Cripps and Kennedy/Hewitt should be in the side.

Ed?   Love the bloke and he has got every inch of talent out of his body and if you started a side in Tassie tomorrow he would be an awesome role model.  But he is done.   Slow and can't kick.   I don't understand it.   Didn't understand the extra year.

The MC committee also need to work out a way to help Saad.    The Crows sat on him with Keays (Did it 12 months eariler so we should have known it was coming) and we can't work out a way to get him into the game.    As a result every side has sat on him since and we have no answer.

Reply #121
You can add Williams to that list!
Ill cut him slack (sort of) because he did an ACL). Whilst I think he will be moved on eventually and will prove to be a bad trade, he gets a "last chance " from me for now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
Ill cut him slack (sort of) because he did an ACL). Whilst I think he will be moved on eventually and will prove to be a bad trade, he gets a "last chance " from me for now.
Been a disaster, came with Achilles issues and done nothing. Problem is he is untradable and we are stuck with him.
Just a more expensive version of Martin who we will have to carry on the list for the  next couple of years.

Reply #123
There's more footy nous on this forum than the bloody club.  Help out Saad...?  Nah, she'll be right might mate, Keays won't be on him again, nah.

Breathtaking idiocy.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #124
TDK has played like a juvenile giraffe since day 1.  All arms and legs with little or no physical co-ordination.  I can't see that changing any time soon.

He doesn't have the same balance (? core) that his brother has IMO
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #125
There's more footy nous on this forum than the bloody club.  Help out Saad...?  Nah, she'll be right might mate, Keays won't be on him again, nah.

Breathtaking idiocy.

Yeah, no there isn't. If the club were to organise a session once a week or once a fortnight, where each of us gets a period of time to pitch our pet peeves, pet theories, grievances, MC stuff ups etc. to Voss and co, the best of us would last 3 minutes max, before we ended up at a #boomroasted moment. You can think the whole club sucks, which is perfectly fine, but it's social media hubris to think we can do better.

Not sure if you're a Simpsons fan, but if you are, you may remember an early episode where Homer discovers he has a half brother who owns a car company. In those of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" moments, the half brother sacks all his MBA, Harvard graduates, insisting they know jack and have lost touch with "the common man", and he gets Homer to design a perfect car for Joe Average. There's a very valuable lesson in that episode, and it's stuck with me for 30 years. 

Reply #126
His confidence is shot.   Not sure how you turn it around, but we have too

It was only round 1 when he was leading up to the wings clunking everything.   Took 11 marks against the Tigers to be one of our best.

Today is he dropping everything.   Not sure a run in the backline will turn around his form.

You may be right and he is not suited to the backline. 

I thought of it as a way of keeping him in the ones and getting some benefit if it works.

I'm against the idea of dropping him to the twos to find form as a forward.  At present he has no confidence and cannot kick straight on grounds largely protected from the elements.  At VFL level the grounds are largely unprotected from the wind - think of the game at Williamstown last week. Although he may get more opportunities, and even that is debatable,  I just don't see it as a logical step to improving his mental state or kicking ability.

Reply #127
I'd only need three minutes Paul.  The problems are so bloody obvious.

The problems are bloody obvious, have been for a long time and the only reason one can posit why is that the coaching group is utterly clueless.  Why don't they do something....anything...other than just reshuffling the deck chairs !?!

Reply #128
The MC need to seriously have a look at the game style.   It revolves around contested ball, but we got figured out halfway through last season.   Instead of making the change we double down.

Most sides have 1-2 contested bulls max.   See Jarrad Lyons out of the Lions side and WIll Brodie can't get a game at Freo.  Pies have Mitchell and maybe Adams.  That's it.    It isn't because they aren't good footballers, but too slow to defender and to slow with ball use.

Our list build saw us add Hewitt to Cripps, Kennedy, E.Curnow, Setterfield and Dow.   Even Cerra.   Waiting on Carroll.   Haven't seen enough.   It's just too many inside mids when really only 2 should be in the side.

We play 3-4 and what we get is Kennedy playing off half back, Cerra half back against the Dogs and Curnow half forward or half back.

The same time we have added Doc to the midfield with no success.   He is not a natural mid.

Only 2 of Cripps and Kennedy/Hewitt should be in the side.

Ed?   Love the bloke and he has got every inch of talent out of his body and if you started a side in Tassie tomorrow he would be an awesome role model.  But he is done.   Slow and can't kick.   I don't understand it.   Didn't understand the extra year.

The MC committee also need to work out a way to help Saad.    The Crows sat on him with Keays (Did it 12 months eariler so we should have known it was coming) and we can't work out a way to get him into the game.    As a result every side has sat on him since and we have no answer.

Nailed it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #129
Interesting tweet!

Reply #130
A prima facie example.  The gameplan. The Collingwood game highlighted that this list has no clue how to move that ball and deliver inside F50 to a forward's advantage.  Basic stuff you learn from u14 level. 

We were told that the emphasis this summer was ball movement.  So what were the drills and why didn't they stick?

Reply #131
A better comparison for us would probably be Richmond, Western Bulldogs, and Melbourne, all three of whom were mired in nothingness for ever, and then suddenly got their sh1t together against all expectations.

Very different to our list build. Those teams you mention played finals and had a few years of high table finishes we have been bottom dwellers and haven’t played a single final in 9 years. And yes I’m writing this year off as well.

You can always find a positive or some hope but we are entitled to be very concerned that this rebuild will amount to zilch as I’ve seen nothing to suggest otherwise. 

Reply #133
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/27/ive-become-extremely-frustrated-former-carlton-star-slams-club-questions/

“It is hard to know what their identity is, I don’t know what their game style is,” Gibbs told SEN SA Breakfast.

“There’s teams in the competition that when you watch them you know what they’re doing, you can tell what type of game plan they’re implementing.

“Watching Carlton at the moment, I couldn’t tell you what they’re trying to do off half back, I couldn’t tell you what their forward patterns should look like.

“They’ve potentially got one of the best midfields in the competition, but they just aren’t winning clearances, they aren’t working for each other.

“Their ball movement, decision making, and their skill execution is far below what it needs to be at this level of footy.

“If you put pressure on Carlton, they’re just going to give it back to you, that’s known competition wide.

“They’re getting a lot of the ball it’s just they aren’t doing anything with it, for the first time over the last couple of weeks having watched them play, I’ve become extremely frustrated.”