Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6053 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #121
Bugger me ...... what does Dow have to do to get a game ???

There is something seriously wrong here right now.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #122

He's gone....in fact he was never here this year.
I suspect he was told he wouldn't be getting a game.
He's stuck with the task in the VFL so best of luck for the future.

Reply #124

Threaten to release the photos.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #125
He's gone....in fact he was never here this year.
I suspect he was told he wouldn't be getting a game.
He's stuck with the task in the VFL so best of luck for the future.

If he doesn't get the gig as sub this week, he may as well not bother for the rest of the year as the decision has clearly been made by those above him.

Nothing to lose.

Personally i'd rest Cripps (who will clearly not be at 100% with that ankle) and give Dow a game.

Reply #126
With only Tom de Koning in the ruck, we've set ourselves up to fail once again. Jack is an honest trier, but he isn't in the class of the Melbourne rucks. Mirkov mightn't be either; he's still got a lot to learn, but he is a giant and a real ruckman. Jack will just get trodden on.

I hope Ed isn't the sub: he needs a few good weeks to find form and confidence. Fog would be reasonable. Dow would also be reasonable, even though his disposal isn't good enough.
We are going to trade him out for next to nothing, which is really disappointing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #127
If he doesn't get the gig as sub this week, he may as well not bother for the rest of the year as the decision has clearly been made by those above him.

Nothing to lose.

Personally i'd rest Cripps (who will clearly not be at 100% with that ankle) and give Dow a game.

I think from Cripps's reply to Caroline that he 'couldn't wait until Friday' means you'd probably have to tie his legs together to stop him playing.

It'd be a bit of an anti-climax if he doesn't play and come out all fired up.

Reply #128
I think from Cripps's reply to Caroline that he 'couldn't wait until Friday' means you'd probably have to tie his legs together to stop him playing.

It'd be a bit of an anti-climax if he doesn't play and come out all fired up.

Sometimes you have to save players from themselves.

I've got no doubt he wants to be out there and will try his butt off to contribute as best he can.
I've also go not doubt that he is not 100%.
Then its a question of how close to it is he....and will that % mean he will be able to contribute more than a fully fit and in form player who would be desperate to prove himself, like Dow is.

I don't care if it hurts his feelings. Do whats best for the team.

Reply #129
Should have made Cripps sub. If it's a live game bring him on, if not don't play him and give him the week off.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #130
Cripps mighty my iffy, I though Kennedy was hurt also and Doc didn't train (I believe) the other day so Ill say there'll be a change.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #131
I've been critical for quite some time about Carlton giving up a first round pick for Dow, given it was known one of his problems was poor disposal by foot.

But how can the MC mark a player's papers so early in the season?  Surely there has to be something else going on.  It's not as though he is surrounded by players with elite foot skills.

Has some deal been done?  Why would he be happy to put in consistent performances every week in the VFL unless he needs to keep some other team happy with his ability to stick out the season.

Reply #132
Maybe Dow isn't hitting minimal standards during skills training.
Club probably has a matrix of player attributes like strength, stamina, jump and reach, etc and Dow isn't at standard with his kicking.
Its not the end of the world - plenty of players in VFL that can find plenty of the ball but can't kick.

Reply #133
I've been critical for quite some time about Carlton giving up a first round pick for Dow, given it was known one of his problems was poor disposal by foot.

But how can the MC mark a player's papers so early in the season?  Surely there has to be something else going on.  It's not as though he is surrounded by players with elite foot skills.

Has some deal been done?  Why would he be happy to put in consistent performances every week in the VFL unless he needs to keep some other team happy with his ability to stick out the season.

It can only be that the MC have all the stats, data and facts in front of them that we supporters simply don't. When they do the match analysis and look at the strategy and match ups, they have to use all that data to pick the best side for the day. Of course we can be cynical and say we know as much or more but reality is we don't. We are just requesting change for the sake of change maybe?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #134
Pinot and GiC, your posts are quite logical.  I am just unhappy that we threw away a first round pick.