Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6033 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #135
Pinot and GiC, your posts are quite logical.  I am just unhappy that we threw away a first round pick.

Yep I hear you there - was a weak draft that one. Probably better off to have kept Bryce Gibbs

Reply #136
Dow said he wanted to stay at the club and earn his way into the senior lineup after the club couldnt get a bite on him last trade period. Clearly the club have had no interest in furthering his career  and are just waiting for his contract to expire and then he will be delisted.
Some of our finest development and list management, and we wonder why we are where we are on the ladder....

Reply #137
Pinot and GiC, your posts are quite logical.  I am just unhappy that we threw away a first round pick.
C'est la vie my friend.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #138
Dow said he wanted to stay at the club and earn his way into the senior lineup after the club couldnt get a bite on him last trade period. Clearly the club have had no interest in furthering his career  and are just waiting for his contract to expire and then he will be delisted.
Some of our finest development and list management, and we wonder why we are where we are on the ladder....

As a wise man once said, you can’t polish a third (spoken with an Irish accent).

Dow wanted to stay at the club because he was contracted and no-one else wanted him.  Sadly, he’s one of far too many players on our list that are marginal AFL players at best. 

I don’t think that you can put that down to player development, it’s a list management failing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #139
Port Adelaide captain Tom Jonas has been sent back to the SANFL to find some form.

FMD ..... if it is good enough for the team sitting second on the ladder to drop their captain due to poor form surely our mob should be dropping players who aren't delivering, especially serial offenders.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #140
As a wise man once said, you can’t polish a third (spoken with an Irish accent).

Dow wanted to stay at the club because he was contracted and no-one else wanted him.  Sadly, he’s one of far too many players on our list that are marginal AFL players at best. 

I don’t think that you can put that down to player development, it’s a list management failing.

I wonder whether anyone will want him this year.
I'd say he's a fair chance to be picked up.
Maybe by a list manager who has a point to prove. ;)

Reply #141
We may not have our 'best' side this week, but hopefully we'll see a good 'team'.

Reply #142
We may not have our 'best' side this week, but hopefully we'll see a good 'team'.
Reckon we can win, Dees team isn't it's strongest and they look vulnerable imo.

Reply #143
Bugger me ...... what does Dow have to do to get a game ???

There is something seriously wrong here right now.
I've watched most of the reserves games via live streaming this year, and dows kicking is deplorable.   Last week against Sydney there was a passage of play where he was all by himself 60 metres from  goal, and managed to kick the ball in between 2 targets, and the ball dribbled out of bounds .

Reply #144
I've watched most of the reserves games via live streaming this year, and dows kicking is deplorable.   Last week against Sydney there was a passage of play where he was all by himself 60 metres from  goal, and managed to kick the ball in between 2 targets, and the ball dribbled out of bounds .

If that is his stock standard ability, it beggars belief as to why we drafted him in the first place !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #145
I've watched most of the reserves games via live streaming this year, and dows kicking is deplorable.  Last week against Sydney there was a passage of play where he was all by himself 60 metres from  goal, and managed to kick the ball in between 2 targets, and the ball dribbled out of bounds .
This is my concern, as a inside stoppage player he wins heaps of footy and gets involved in chains of play, but he burns a huge percentage of the ball he uses.

It's an area of the game we are already deplorable at, which makes me question whether or not Dow can ever be selected as an upgrade on what we already have! He won't win more inside footy than Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra or Kennedy, and at his best Dow balls use is no more than equal the worst of them.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but that is what I see.

Fwiw, to be fair to Dow, SoJ got a lot of footy in his VFL appearance and burned just as much of it.

The bodgy ball use is a plague cutting through the club like case of the clap!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #146
Glass half full. In our team tonight, we have our 5 AA reps from the last 2 years, 2 nominations (Weitering and Docherty) plus Cerra who is in the conversation. We lose Hollands an Durdin (not in our best dozen) and bring in a couple of likes.  Notwithstanding form, there is still plenty of talent in the side!! (and the Ds aren't setting the world  on fire!)

If the stars all align!!!!

Reply #147
Need to show some grit (or grinta as the Italians call it).
Need to just find a bloody way to win.
Need to get the ball in Harry's hands early so he can nail one and blow off the cobwebs.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #148
Can't help but thing we've gone a bit tall down back given that Melbourne really only have Van Rooyen and one of the ruckmen as tall forwards....unless Young is in the side to purely ruck and then push back onto the resting ruckman.

I thought Binns was a tad unlucky yet we've gone back to the well with O'Brien.

We can't continue with Ed, even as sub. When he came on early last week he absolutely slaughtered the footy every time he kicked it.

Reply #149
Gerard Healy was saying on SEN the other night that the problem with Dow when he came to Carlton was that he didn't find the ball enough. He's clearly fixed that, but what's the point if your disposal is sh1t? Better to have quality rather than quantity...