Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6076 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #60
Some Melbourne folk are criticising Gawn for his missed marks last night.
Pressure and conditions.

Reply #62
Can someone tell me why Gawn kicking it away after we got the mark or free kick, wasn’t paid 50m?  I think it was to Jack? At the ground I couldn’t see how on earth he wasn’t penalised .
Exactly Micky. When Dee sympathisers start moaning about the touch or non-touch decision remind them of that moment in the game. Martin goes from 50m out to the goal line and effectively ends the game then and there. So stick it up where the sun don't shine Melbourne supporters. Maybe the football Gods are smiling on us. For a change

Reply #63
Unbelievable atmosphere last night. The whole Matilda's penalty shootout situation playing out while the 1st quarter was on. The weirdness of the crowd going nuts at on field player stoppages was surreal, and amusing to be honest. I was constantly turning back from TV screen to the ground until quarter time, where thankfully the Matilda's game came to a conclusion.
Then in the last quarter I experienced something I've never experienced before. The ENTIRE stadium went completely silent when the video review decision was broadcast over the audio. I'm talking ANZAC day silence. It's was unreal. Then when the word's "insufficient evidence to overturn" played out the cheer was deafening. Will never forget last night's game. A one in a million.

Reply #64
For the avoidance of doubt
Barrett on Ch 9 did not stop banging on about this moment. He even went as far as to ask Kemp if he HEARD Marchys touch on the ball.  kemp, cool as ice said in that atmosphere you can’t hear anything but Marchy said he touched it, so he did.

Had a really obnoxious Melb guy behind us, my god they’re a whinging bunch! Mind you had a Carlton guy near us that a mother moved her kids away from.  Settle down people and understand you’re not at home in front of your tv, by yourself - keep yourself in check! Night games can get feral.

Reply #65
Unbelievable atmosphere last night. The whole Matilda's penalty shootout situation playing out while the 1st quarter was on. The weirdness of the crowd going nuts at on field player stoppages was surreal, and amusing to be honest. I was constantly turning back from TV screen to the ground until quarter time, where thankfully the Matilda's game came to a conclusion.
Then in the last quarter I experienced something I've never experienced before. The ENTIRE stadium went completely silent when the video review decision was broadcast over the audio. I'm talking ANZAC day silence. It's was unreal. Then when the word's "insufficient evidence to overturn" played out the cheer was deafening. Will never forget last night's game. A one in a million.
Same however I didn’t realise umpire had called it touched and saw the Melb cheer squad going nuts and figured it was another heartbreak for us. From
Then I knew we could hold on!!

Reply #66
How much did we miss Harry’s marking last night. I remember him clunking marks when needed in the Geelong game.

Reply #67
Pickett should be cited by the MRO for trying to kick the ball out of Kemp's arms when he was on the ground after taking that hanger.

If you have the game on tape/Kayo etc, go and have a second look, it's in the slow-mo replay.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #68
Some Melbourne folk are criticising Gawn for his missed marks last night.
Pressure and conditions.

Exactly. Apparently the pill was soap like last night and conditions very slippery so maybe not the best time to make judgments.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #69
Over the past seasons I have been critical of Carlton for using pick 3 to select Dow.  But on his recent performances he has finally arrived and I would hate to see him running around next year in another team's jumper.

I know that when we have a full list available there is not room for him in the midfield, but given the hard tackling, high pressure game we now play what is the likelihood of ever having an injury free list?

In no particular order these are what I see as his main attributes:
 He is only 23
He has developed physically into a very solid unit
He is not injury prone
His kicking skills are now at an acceptable level
He is hard at the ball and helps to take the pressure off Cripps.

I believe he has shown enough to be offered a contract.

Reply #70
Over the past seasons I have been critical of Carlton for using pick 3 to select Dow.  But on his recent performances he has finally arrived and I would hate to see him running around next year in another team's jumper.

I know that when we have a full list available there is not room for him in the midfield, but given the hard tackling, high pressure game we now play what is the likelihood of ever having an injury free list?

In no particular order these are what I see as his main attributes:
 He is only 23
He has developed physically into a very solid unit
He is not injury prone
His kicking skills are now at an acceptable level
He is hard at the ball and helps to take the pressure off Cripps.

I believe he has shown enough to be offered a contract.
And I feel the playing group absolutely are on board with him. Seems very well liked

Reply #71
And I feel the playing group absolutely are on board with him. Seems very well liked

Agree. In fact Cripps seems to have, to a degree,  taken him under his wing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #72
With our win over Casey, it's just become a Deelightful weekend for Bluebaggers.
Someone had to say it 😝Anyways it's got to be better than "isn't that good" or "woowee". And it doesn't cost a cent😉
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
Agree. In fact Cripps seems to have, to a degree,  taken him under his wing.

If what's on socials is anything to go by, Dow is popular. He went away with a group of boys to the US. Crippa, Walsh, Setters were amongst the others. I don't think there's any issue with popular amongst players. Or amongst supporters.

As we've all seen the weakness on his defensive game is improving at afl level. You can't assess that in the 2's. His challenge is to show he can maintain it and stay abreast of the fast decision-making required. I can't fault him since he's come in and congratulate his determination, tenacity, and perseverance. Sometimes those qualities trump pure skill when the heat is on. 1yr Contract would be drafted if I was in charge.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #74
Dark Lord, some of Pickett's on field actions are a bit questionable, arms get up around people's head a lot and is a bit indiscriminate in his tackling.  You'd have though that after trying to main Smith in round one he'd have learnt.  Only a matter of time before he mains somebody I reckon.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?