Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Pre Game Prognostications (Read 29089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Pre Game Prognostications

Reply #210
No matter what side is selected, I hope we bring our best pressure game on. Our best pressure game bringing on the heat has beaten Melbourne twice, Collingwood, Port Adelaide, and Sydney. When all sides were in form and had just as many or few outs as we have had. I hope we bring enough hungry efforts and desperation to the contest. That will get us over the line. A genuine team effort. I feel we won’t win this for a fairy tale story. I hope the boys prove I should have never had a doubt.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #211
Kennedy will be sub.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #212
I think this will be a grind of a game I think Boyd for Kemp is good as he is harder, quicker and he is tougher when tackling and makes them stick. He also enjoys the rough stuff from the likes of Zorko etc.
Kemp is a little Liam Jones like where his errors always seem to cost a goal but he will be a big part of our future campaigns.
I think Cunningham needs to stay involved more in the game he always has seemed to drift in and out maybe the selectors want more involvement when the heat is on in a final.
I think Kennedy will be the sub as he can play just about anywhere but still is a hard tackler that might come in handy late if it’s a brutal game.
Owies is a bit stiff like Cunningham he drifts in and out but even when not in the game his effort is always there and he always seems to jag a goal or two, but he is too selfless by wanting to give off that last handball which has almost cost us goals in the two finals. It was he or Fogarty and I think Fog will play defensive forward role.
I think we have picked a horses for courses team to grind out a win against a tough tackling team.
If we get through it will change again depending on opponent.
I think we have given ourselves a great chance

Reply #213
Looks like horses for courses. Totally get the Boyd selection.

Like most I'm a little perplexed as to why Marchbank would get the nod ahead of Kemp. The thing that Marchbank does very well is read the play; high footy IQ... perhaps that's why. Kemp, being young, still learning the caper and finding his feet, does deliver a clanger from time to time. Defensive balance against the particular forward line? Probably.

Well, no matter what, for us to be pondering team selection before a preliminary final is just bloody terrific. And so much valuable finals experience will be gained. I may sound a little resigned to defeat in this game... nuh. But BrisVegas is deservedly and logically the favourite, especially on their dung heap. However, whatever the ingredients have been for us to get this far...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #214
Just read your post, Tommy... seems we're seeing things very similarly...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #215
I watched a replay and noticed Marchbank always seems to push up to a good position when we are going forward where he can be used by us or cover a turnover. Be happier if he could stick his marks more though!

Reply #216
I watched a replay and noticed Marchbank always seems to push up to a good position when we are going forward where he can be used by us or cover a turnover. Be happier if he could stick his marks more though!
Agree on the marking - I can see an up and down side to both Marchbank & Kemp but Kemp is very strong and clean overhead. I have really enjoyed that part of his game.

Reply #217
Marchbank can play a little taller or smaller. He has good skills and a good footy IQ. I'm guessing it may have been a toss of the coin between him and Kemp. Nothing too sinister or questionable IMO in that selection. It's about the best team we can field under the circumstances.

Reply #219
It's about the best team we can field under the circumstances.
Yes tend to agree, finals take a toll, it's unlikely you can progress far just using the same 22, we need to have enough functional depth to spread the load.

Get past this week with those "Ins", and you might find some or all of the "Outs" return for the GF, with at least a handful of those selected having "fresher legs" you have a chance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #220
I just watched part of the replay too and Marchy has some real athleticism and smarts about him. He has made a few errors but in the part I just watched, so did kemp.

I think kemp will be the sub. 

Reply #221
Id make Cuningham the sub, we have banged up players like Acres, Docherty etc and thats where the cover is needed and will need run and goal kickers imo. I think if this finals has shown anything you need run later in the game given the contested nature of the modern game and how spent your players are at the end.
Kennedy would be my next choice after Cuningham.....Marchbank will probably get Hipwood who tends to roam around so lets hope Marchbank has the wheels to stay with him for 4 quarters.
Brisbane dont have any dud players so a couple of bad matchups can cost you bigtime and probably the game so tactically we need to get everything right..

Reply #222
Assuming he is fit and healthy I think Owies is the real unlucky story here, he's been the barometer not the boat anchor and in the run and gun of finals I suspect Motlop is the very lucky one, probably lucky that Cunningham's form or fitness has waned.

Maybe with Cunningham, that pre-season incident has cost him a fitness base, and bizarrely when you think they should be fresher the reverse applies and it is this time of year when missing some pre-season or early season starts to tell. Which by the way is the freakishness of Walsh!

Still, based on form I won't be surprised if there are shock last minute Outs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #223
Kemp wasn't at his best last week but he gives us some versatility, I would prefer to see him in the team. I'm not a rusted-on Owies fan but he deserves to be in the team as well.

Cuningham was lost last week, he looked overwhelmed & at times, refused to do the team-orientated 1%érs, he had to go. Kennedy looked well short of match standard after being out for so long, his omission was warranted too.

Bringing Boyd in like this after a lay-off worries me immensely, it could have the same result as Kenendy last week. I can understand the thought process (small defender to latch onto Cameron or Bailey) but I feel this is a desperate & potentially fatal error by the match committee.

Hollands will give you everything he has so that's a no-brainer, bringing McKay straight in had to happen as it will stretch the Lions defence now that Paine is out.

Martin played his best game for the club against the Swans but I have always felt he is too "hit & miss" for my liking. If he doesn't come out and play a hard-edged blinder, then he will have has shat in his team-mates faces after that suspension. If he is serious about it, he has to pay them back ......... with interest.

For us to win this match, it is imperative that we exploit the Lions key position defence. Andrews is a good player but he can't do everything. Gardiner is a spud who is very loose and prone to more than one brain-fade a game. This is where Curnow really has to get off the leash and kick a bag after a quiet game last week.

Not impressed with the changes but we have to put our faith in those making the decisions, hope like hell I'm wrong about it.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #224
I probably wouldn't have dropped Owies. He is our 2nd highest goal scorer for this season.
Live Long and Prosper!