Skip to main content
Topic: Sam Newman at it again! (Read 7413 times) previous topic - next topic

Sam Newman at it again!

Sam Newman has doubled down on his comments against the Welcome to Country in a fiery interview, taking aim at AFL legend Adam Goodes and branding the common ceremonies a “hoax”.

The AFL personality stirred up controversy on this week after making comments on his podcast, You Cannot Be Serious, encouraging Aussies to boo or “slow hand clap” during the Welcome to Country, particularly at the upcoming AFL Grand Final at the MCG.

Appearing on 3AW radio on Thursday, Newman was asked by host Tony Jones whether his suggestion was “inciting violence”.

“What an extraordinary question,” Newman said.

“The public have had a gutful of people telling us how to live our lives, particularly footballing organisations. We like to go to the football and watch the game without being told to vote for the gay marriage proposal … without being told to vote for the Voice. Why do they get involved? It is an absolute hoax, it’s a rort, the Welcome to Country. Why do we have to be welcomed to the country we live in? Why is that? It is just a mark of division. The people who welcome you to country get a nice stipend out of it. Why do they charge? It’s just a rort.”

Re: Sam Newman at it again!

Reply #1
Sam Newman has doubled down on his comments against the Welcome to Country in a fiery interview, taking aim at AFL legend Adam Goodes and branding the common ceremonies a “hoax”.

The AFL personality stirred up controversy on this week after making comments on his podcast, You Cannot Be Serious, encouraging Aussies to boo or “slow hand clap” during the Welcome to Country, particularly at the upcoming AFL Grand Final at the MCG.

Appearing on 3AW radio on Thursday, Newman was asked by host Tony Jones whether his suggestion was “inciting violence”.

“What an extraordinary question,” Newman said.

“The public have had a gutful of people telling us how to live our lives, particularly footballing organisations. We like to go to the football and watch the game without being told to vote for the gay marriage proposal … without being told to vote for the Voice. Why do they get involved? It is an absolute hoax, it’s a rort, the Welcome to Country. Why do we have to be welcomed to the country we live in? Why is that? It is just a mark of division. The people who welcome you to country get a nice stipend out of it. Why do they charge? It’s just a rort.”

At least he has the balls to voice his opinion which these days it’s seems anyone that has an opinion against the main stream it doesn’t take long for you to be branded, pigeon holed called a racist, homophobic etc.

Freedom of speech is slowly being eroded in this country and imo there needs to be a balance and while not everyone may agree with Newmans opinion he has as much right as anyone to voice it.

Reply #2
The problem here is that a lot of people are going to side with Newman, even if it's just a tiny bit true that is too much truth to be comfortable for some.

I go back to the flag rorting, local council's were being systematically badgered into flying an Indigenous flag then being sent an invoice for permission to fly an indigenous flag. It was never about signalling and all about income, and that cheapens and dirties the motives, something that should be a good thing is forever sullied.

Even sadder, a few fairly senior indigenous leaders have seemingly become persona-non-grata in their own culture because they called out the unconscionable behaviour on both sides of the debate. Reason it seems is not reasonable in cancel culture.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
People are free to feel whatever they want about such ceremonies.
To actively advocate the booing is taking it to the extreme...and a recipe for some ugly scenes on a day that should be a celebration for all of us.

Reply #4
To actively advocate the booing is taking it to the extreme...and a recipe for some ugly scenes on a day that should be a celebration for all of us.
The media focus on the boo comment only makes things worse, that's Newman the media personality at work generating focus on the rest of the commentary using a throw away line.

The media should be debating the real issues on both sides of the argument, but instead they go for the cheap thrill.

Overall, Newman's comments, Thorpe's comments and the media focus, just strengthen the resolve of extremists on either side and the vast majority of us suffer.

btw., Is the wider message misplaced, that sport should remain at arms length to politics and religion? I suggest if this question is asked in isolation free of tinsel it would get resounding support, maybe it would have been a better referendum question!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
My problem with the indigenous voice:

https://aiatsis.gov.au/explore/map-indigenous-australia

Who's voice is it?

You ask 5 people for an opinion on a subject and consensus is able to be reached but there will be opposing thoughts.  Add additional numbers, and you will get wide and varied opinions.  Given the number of indidgenous voices out there, how can one voice to parliament truly become representative of anything?

Will there be an indigenous vote as well?

Regarding welcome to country, this is something we are all being programmed to do.  It means nothing to me, and causes me very little harm, so I don't see the point of worrying about whether or not its done.  I did raise my eyebrows, when returning from the USA on jetstar just to hear a welcome to country from the pilot as it was the first time I came across it in that context.

Don't have an issue with it personally, just like I don't really care for the national anthem at a football game between Carlton and Melbourne.  Seems a bit out of place, but whatever.

You know, when it all comes down to it, the pre match could be the spice girls singing, so long as I heard the lily of laguna shortly prior or after, then it really doesnt matter to me at all.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6

Spot on, Principal LODS.

Newman states, "The public have had a gutful of people telling us how to live our lives..." Then sets about telling us how we should live, think, act and respond according to his peculiar set of values... with apologies to the word 'values.' Breathtaking arrogance and hypocrisy. We should all see things as he does!

He, and a good number of his Far Right buddies should spend a year living inside dark skin to really get an understanding what this is actually all about. If you're devoid of compassion and empathy... learn the hard way.

Who would have thought that inclusiveness could be so difficult and inconvenient. Seems that Newman and those of his ilk really do live in a terribly fearful and angry world.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
An old mate's son, Colin Hunter, is doing the welcomes at the G and doing them very well indeed.

The respect that he is paid during and after his short ceremony suggests that the vast majority either agree with the welcome or are not opposed to it.

You have to wonder why an irrelevant flog like Newman has his racist agenda aired on mainstream media.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
I wouldn't boo but I'm certainly not paying attention,  I was welcomed to Australia in 1988.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #9
I wouldn't boo but I'm certainly not paying attention,  I was welcomed to Australia in 1988.
Agree. Totally ignored by those around me on Friday night. Just kept talking and laughing amongst themselves. Lost all relevance, if there ever was any.

Reply #10
You have to wonder why an irrelevant flog like Newman has his racist agenda aired on mainstream media.
@DJC All sides of the debate make money from it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
An old mate's son, Colin Hunter, is doing the welcomes at the G and doing them very well indeed.

The respect that he is paid during and after his short ceremony suggests that the vast majority either agree with the welcome or are not opposed to it.
I just want to know why they demand money? Why not do it for free?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
Sam Newman is nothing but a grumpy old man who is still looking for headlines.

He made a living on the Footy Show by going out on the street and making fools of unfortunates who didn't know any better, and he is still poking a stick at those he feels are beneath him.

I know it is said he is a top bloke, but his public persona is one of an irrelevant flog who doesn't deserve the oxygen that he keeps getting from his old mates in the media.  He should look up the word respect and see if he can find a scintilla of it in his rantings.

What also comes with freedom of speech is the responsibility of free speech.  You can't have one without the other.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #13
I just want to know why they demand money? Why not do it for free?

Does anyone involved in the pre-game activities do it for free?

Why shouldn’t Colin be recompensed for his time and effort?

We’re well past the time when Indigenous Australians were expected to provide services for free or, at worst, for rations.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
@DJC All sides of the debate make money from it!

My Koori mates, who are feeling battered by this latest assault on their status as the first Australians, would love to know how they can tap into their share.

The only folk who make money out of issues like this are the media outlets that cater to angry old white men.