Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Post Game Prognostications (Read 30177 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Post Game Prognostications

Reply #91
The main lesson is not to lose 8 from 9 games. That could well have been flag costing. Such a long way back from there and at some stage you hit a wall for one reason or another. Win 3 of those 8 and, om face value at least, we are top 4. Can be other variables but one can see the point. Top 4, into the finals much fresher mentally, physically and it is a different game.

Still, it is great to see the want, desire and culture come back to the club. If anything that might start something big. As long as we don't go into next year thinking we only have to turn up to succeed. A few sides have done that before, like Geelong in 2006 and Richmond in 2016 for example. Soon woke them up!

Reply #92
Corey Durdin is the one we missed the most.  Genuine pace, kicks goals, applies forward pressure.  Very much missed, and was one of our best against Sydney last year which was one of our best wins for the year.

Struggled this year for whatever reason.
Our early season struggles to move the ball forward and his shoulder injury as we got momentum going didn't help. Shows how remarkable Charlie's season was.

Reply #93
Ball swings more at the Gabba though....lol.
Yep, while I also saw conflicting information on the dimensions of the Gabba during my google search, it's known during the cricket season that the square boundaries are very long. Narrower in width than the MCG I can buy and may answer Brisbane's struggles at the big 'G, but not to the extent of being as narrow as GMHBA or Adelaide Oval.

Reply #94
Just saw a stat re Curnow.
He may have had a lean finals but....he's the only player ever to kick a goal in 26/26 games
Lots of 25/25 (Ablett, Franklin and others) and 24/24 (Hudson, Dunstall....) but only Charlie has the 26/26
(Having the extra gather round helped) ;)

Reply #95
Just saw a stat re Curnow.
He may have had a lean finals but....he's the only player ever to kick a goal in 26/26 games
Lots of 25/25 (Ablett, Franklin and others) and 24/24 (Hudson, Dunstall....) but only Charlie has the 26/26
That's outstanding, although it must be said that the four others played in better teams and played in lesser games during those years.

Reply #96
I managed to watch the most game on my laptop in between checking out of hotels, transiting to and from Airports and catching planes home. I missed all of the 2nd qtr. I'll have to watch the game again on a proper TV to judge properly but to me, our first qtr shows why we can match it with all the contenders. Our last two quarters show why you need to finish top 4 to make the big dance.
We need a massive preseason and load up again ensuring we learn from:
- The horror run of 8 losses from rnds 5 to 13.
- The brilliant run of wins against contenders.
- The 3 unbelievable finals we played.
I thought our two youngest in Motts and Hollands were fantastic last night, for such young heads and bodies, they had a serious crack.
I'm proud of my club again, thank you CFC.
Go Blues and bring on 2024.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #97
I managed to watch the most game on my laptop in between checking out of hotels, transiting to and from Airports and catching planes home. I missed all of the 2nd qtr. I'll have to watch the game again on a proper TV to judge properly but to me, our first qtr shows why we can match it with all the contenders. Our last two quarters show why you need to finish top 4 to make the big dance.
We need a massive preseason and load up again ensuring we learn from:
- The horror run of 8 losses from rnds 5 to 13.
- The brilliant run of wins against contenders.
- The 3 unbelievable finals we played.
I thought our two youngest in Motts and Hollands were fantastic last night, for such young heads and bodies, they had a serious crack.
I'm proud of my club again, thank you CFC.
Go Blues and bring on 2024.
I thought Hollands struggled on Jarrod Berry, I like Hollands as he has a crack but Berry is a big unit and doubled our mans possessions and we didnt do our rookie wingman any favours and maybe should have played Cuningham.

Reply #98
I thought Hollands struggled on Jarrod Berry, I like Hollands as he has a crack but Berry is a big unit and doubled our mans possessions and we didnt do our rookie wingman any favours and maybe should have played Cuningham.
Cunners was a witches hat for the 2 finals, he had to get dropped. If Charlie wasn't Charlie and dual Coleman medalist, he probably should have joined him. Not laying blame here, its a team game not 1 player here or there. I just loved Ollie's approach to the finals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #99
That's outstanding, although it must be said that the four others played in better teams and played in lesser games during those years.

There were quite a few players with the 25/25 and 24/24 I just picked a few of the best.

Matty Lloyd, Old Daicos, Quinlan, Nick Riewoldt Pav and others all had goal each game seasons...
Jezza had a 24/25 season in 1970.

I've seen some vision today of Charlie in some contests over the finals and gee, some of the tunneling tactics used against him were quite dangerous.

Reply #100
Cunners was a witches hat for the 2 finals, he had to get dropped. If Charlie wasn't Charlie and dual Coleman medalist, he probably should have joined him. Not laying blame here, its a team game not 1 player here or there. I just loved Ollie's approach to the finals.
I thought Berry was influential and that was the problem, home and away game its fine to leave the matchup continue for Hollands to get experience but not in a do or die prelim...

Reply #101
I thought Weiters struggled a bit.
Kemp being dropped meant that he had to be accountable, he was led to the ball and gave up at least 3 goals including 1 to McInerny.
Boyd played a ripper game to be fair but our tall defenders all had a man, none were able to be the 3rd man up.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #102
Good ladder result. Obviously need to work on body strength. Inject some speed by foot, and class by disposal. Much work for Voss, but something to show that you can only work with the stock you have. We went far further with a squad that would never beat Brisbane. If we didn’t start as we did it would have been a humiliation. We have some needs and Voss needs to see where he can find what he needs. Great result for the season, but not a flag winning unit just yet. Keep shopping for better stock and develop some of the youth. Well done for the seasons result. Now is time to build on a better 2024.

People have been saying our list is fine and we just need to go to the draft this year.

However ......... you are 100% correct here Mantis, we are not the finished product yet and still need another 2 or 3 hard runners with good leg speed.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #103
Charlie Curnow again very poor against a very average defender.

He doesn't have any second efforts and never has, if the ball doesn't bounce back into his arms he just stops and lets everyone & anyone else grab it.

Furthermore, whilst he has been a terrific goal-kicker from us, his finals series has been deplorable. During this off-season, it is imperative that he stops listening to all the media hype and learns that reputations are made in finals, not beating up the little kids in the playground.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #104
I thought Weiters struggled a bit.
Kemp being dropped meant that he had to be accountable, he was led to the ball and gave up at least 3 goals including 1 to McInerny.
Boyd played a ripper game to be fair but our tall defenders all had a man, none were able to be the 3rd man up.
McInerney was a pain when he played forward, Weitering had to cover Daniher and the Brisbane ruckman was just too tall for everyone else and poor Jacob cant play on them all. This is where Young probably has a role when in form and I hope the coaches can get him back to his best as having that extra tall defender is a bonus.
McGovern and Boyd both played well, the latter surprised me and the former played a very good finals series and remained very disciplined and has found his niche down back.