Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 2344 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #60
Surprised Owies survives but I've never been a fan and after the first game that is unlikely to change anytime soon. Looks like we're counting on out-pacing them which kind of makes sense to me and I guess with no Walsh, Motlop, Martin, the other Hollands our options are limited. Still would love to see Binns get a go one day.

Reply #61
Owies went at 1.5 goals/game last year but was injured for a period. Extrapolate that out over 23 games and it's about 35 goals for a season. Combined with the forward half pressure he usually brings, I'd have him along with Motlop as our two preferred small forwards. He played last week off the back of no practice games. This week we've got Owies, Fantasia, Durdin, Fogarty and Cunningham as well as Cottrell who'll play as forwards and run through the midfield. I would've thought it was a good opportunity for Moir this week so maybe there might be a late change.

Reply #62
Owies went at 1.5 goals/game last year but was injured for a period. Extrapolate that out over 23 games and it's about 35 goals for a season. Combined with the forward half pressure he usually brings, I'd have him along with Motlop as our two preferred small forwards. He played last week off the back of no practice games. This week we've got Owies, Fantasia, Durdin, Fogarty and Cunningham as well as Cottrell who'll play as forwards and run through the midfield. I would've thought it was a good opportunity for Moir this week so maybe there might be a late change.

I'm tipping a last minute change and Moir will come in.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Small Durdin’s inclusion suggests a focus on forward pressure and exploiting the contests that our tall forwards halve.  Durdin had a good hitout in the VFL/Reserves and it’s good to see him back in the 23.

Owies might be a tad lucky to keep his spot but he has been very consistent since he first broke into the team.  I think he will be better for his run and will keep a defender honest.

Good ins for Richmond … on paper. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
Both teams travelled and played in the heat last week,  I wonder if the extra days rest will be of any benefit to us?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #65
Both teams travelled and played in the heat last week,  I wonder if the extra days rest will be of any benefit to us?

I think that the sports science is so good now that a day more or less doesn’t mean much.

The extra week’s preparation for Martin, Lynch and Nankervis might be a factor but nothing we can’t handle. 🤞
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
Owies might be a tad lucky to keep his spot but he has been very consistent since he first broke into the team.  I think he will be better for his run and will keep a defender honest.
I didn't think Owies was that bad, by comparison Fantasia was dead ordinary, but Fantasia probably gets some slack because of history / credits.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
I thought Ooorazio did some great 1%ers off the ball and some of his touches were deft, small but clever and clean.
Right place right time type of stuff. Only experience would put you in these positions.
Possessions numbers might not be there but quality is. He'll be better for the run considering his time on the sidelines.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #68
I thought Ooorazio did some great 1%ers off the ball and some of his touches were deft, small but clever and clean.
Right place right time type of stuff. Only experience would put you in these positions.
Possessions numbers might not be there but quality is. He'll be better for the run considering his time on the sidelines.
It was nowhere near enough for AFL, and further Fantasia DE went at just 45% in gathering those 1%ers, if you go with a DE under 50%, that means you helped them more than you helped us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
It was nowhere near enough for AFL, and further Fantasia DE went at just 45% in gathering those 1%ers, if you go with a DE under 50%, that means you helped them more than you helped us!
Agree, with Motlop and Martin to come back in he needs some decent games with goals and possessions.
Hopefully all this competition for places produces more effort from the candidates and keeps our small forwards active in games knowing there are replacements waiting to take their place.
Looking forward to seeing Moir get a game and being a bit different in style to the others...

Reply #70
I thought Orazio looked dangerous every time the ball was within cooee
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #71

No it doesn't. It meant it went to the opposition  or to a 50-50  contest more than us.

Reply #72
I didn't think Owies was that bad, by comparison Fantasia was dead ordinary, but Fantasia probably gets some slack because of history / credits.

I reckon Owies made the 22 on the basis of history/credits; 1.5 goals per game is a decent return as Surfie pointed out.  However, he was poor on Friday night and Fantasia wasn't much better; 12 effective disposals and two tackles between them isn't good enough.  The latter made two excellent passes for goals at critical times and that elevated his performance to a pass ... just!

Reply #73
I reckon Owies made the 22 on the basis of history/credits; 1.5 goals per game is a decent return as Surfie pointed out.  However, he was poor on Friday night and Fantasia wasn't much better; 12 effective disposals and two tackles between them isn't good enough.  The latter made two excellent passes for goals at critical times and that elevated his performance to a pass ... just!

Its the nature of the position to be in and out of games, weeks at a time.

I think he was underdone.
I think he underperformed.
I think he still deserves another week.

Reply #74
Its the nature of the position to be in and out of games, weeks at a time.

I think he was underdone.
I think he underperformed.
I think he still deserves another week.
That's how I see it.

I think fans are giving Fantasia credits that as yet remain undeserved, for a variety of reasons he's been ordinary since leaving the filthy cheats.

As you mention we know Owies has missed a bunch of pre-season, I think I posted as much in the pre-game questioning about how they could all be playing not having stepped on the field yet for 2024. But at least we saw Owies willing to do the work to get contests, that's his gig, and as I see it that's the modern small forward role. FWIW, I thought Hollands game was similar, he was all over the ground but not very effective or influential particularly before 1/2-time.

They all looked better once we got on a roll, but that can't keep happening.

The cameo stuff some fans like is in my perspective way over-rated.
The Force Awakens!