Skip to main content

Poll

Grinch or Elf

Grinch be gone, Merry Christmas and God Bless to all!
[ 4 ] (40%)
Alchohol sets me free!
[ 4 ] (40%)
Stuff Santa in a sack and send him swimming!
[ 2 ] (20%)
I don't believe in Santa or Jesus, but can I sell you some cheer?
[ 0 ] (0%)
I'm still recovering from Eid!
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Topic: Are you a Grinch or an Elf? (Read 13431 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Are you a Grinch or an Elf?

Reply #15
I feel for you Gozza. It is indeed a very strong reality for me. Maybe because my family came from a different country the family ties are stronger. I don't know I see all my family all the time throughout the year. For example at the start of this month around 30 of us got together for a lunch on a Sunday. My Uncle and Grandma live just around the corner from my parent's house and they're around 24/7. Pretty much all the family live in around a 5 km radius I guess. Maybe it's just a wog thing! :P

I guess now I have two kids Christmas has begun all over again as I get to witness my kids' enjoyment which is something even better.

Your surname isn't Barone is it?

My family used to be like that when I was younger, my Grandfather was Irish and my Grandmother Italian. We used to have massive family gatherings around Christmas, Easter and the grandparents birthdays, all good catholic stuff I suppose. But as the "war generations" have started to die off it all seems to have dissipated. Plus the younger generations are far more mobile, the older ones hardly left the state let alone the country and they often inherited the farm or business!

Most of the family that is my generation or younger travel a lot and rarely come together in one place, they have left the farms and small towns because there is no living to be made. They run into each other in bizarre places in an unplanned manor. They have worldly experiences and the old family way is no longer the way things are or have to be done. Partly I blame commercialization, Christmas used to be about thoughtful giving, surprising someone with something they really needed and were not expecting and it may not have been an expensive gift. Sometimes it was just rolling up as a working party at an elderly relatives home.

Now the young-uns publish blogs with gift registries for prospective givers to browse, weddings have been forked up in the very same way! It has all turned full circle from giving to receiving! So I understand why some find it less than enjoyable, but I think you can still find joy if you want to!

On the receiving end, all I want is one good gift from ASADA, just one!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I feel for you Gozza. It is indeed a very strong reality for me. Maybe because my family came from a different country the family ties are stronger. I don't know I see all my family all the time throughout the year. For example at the start of this month around 30 of us got together for a lunch on a Sunday. My Uncle and Grandma live just around the corner from my parent's house and they're around 24/7. Pretty much all the family live in around a 5 km radius I guess. Maybe it's just a wog thing! :P

I guess now I have two kids Christmas has begun all over again as I get to witness my kids' enjoyment which is something even better.

My family used to be like that when I was younger, my Grandfather was Irish and my Grandmother Italian. We used to have massive family gatherings around Christmas, Easter and the grandparents birthdays, all good catholic stuff I suppose. But as the "war generations" have started to die off it all seems to have dissipated. Plus the younger generations are far more mobile, the older ones hardly left the state let alone the country and they often inherited the farm or business!

Most of the family that is my generation or younger travel a lot and rarely come together in one place, they have left the farms and small towns because there is no living to be made. They run into each other in bizarre places in an unplanned manor. They have worldly experiences and the old family way is no longer the way things are or have to be done. Partly I blame commercialization, Christmas used to be about thoughtful giving, surprising someone with something they really needed and were not expecting and it may not have been an expensive gift. Sometimes it was just rolling up as a working party at an elderly relatives home.

Now the young-uns publish blogs with gift registries for prospective givers to browse, weddings have been forked up in the very same way! It has all turned full circle from giving to receiving! So I understand why some find it less than enjoyable, but I think you can still find joy if you want to!

On the receiving end, all I want is one good gift from ASADA, just one!

I know some would argue that this is practical... but I hate it. Seems to take something out of the spirit of giving and surprise. Mercenary stuff.

Whenever I receive an invite with this dumb registry stuff, I ignore it and buy some creative gift from a shop no where near Myer... or wherever.

I understand that when older folks are remarrying (plenty around!!) that they don't want gifts just shvarts.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19

I'm Greek re malaka!

Papadopolous?   ;D

Not quite lol. You know Opoulos or should I say 'o poulos' in Greek translates to 'the salesman'! Fkn pisser! :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20

I'm Greek re malaka!

Papadopolous?   ;D

Not quite lol. You know Opoulos or should I say 'o poulos' in Greek translates to 'the salesman'! Fkn pisser! :))

EFHARISTO!  ;D

Reply #21
I'll explain Xmas to you all. I buy presents for both of my 2 girls and the wife. Each and every year. Wish them a Merry Xmas and hope the new year makes all their dreams come true. I myself get not presents. Not even socks or a tie. Nothing at all. They don't even go to the trouble to make something. No Xmas card either as they say its a waste of money. When I ask the kids, they claim they were too busy all year. Yes all year. Either this or my kids tell me I have my own money and should buy things myself if I want them. If I ask my wife, she says she isn't going to waste her money on me. She has more important things to worry about. If I then go out and buy myself something they all ask why I am wasting our money on things I really don't need. I should be putting that money aside for something the whole family needs and not be selfish and think about myself only.

They wonder why I don't get into the spirit of Xmas as other Dads do ??? Go figure. Its lucky I like a drink every now and then. More so now than then, but both will do. Merry Xmas all you lovely Blues buddies here. At least I can share a common interest with people who care if I say something ever once in a while.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #23
I'll explain Xmas to you all. I buy presents for both of my 2 girls and the wife. Each and every year. Wish them a Merry Xmas and hope the new year makes all their dreams come true. I myself get not presents. Not even socks or a tie. Nothing at all. They don't even go to the trouble to make something. No Xmas card either as they say its a waste of money. When I ask the kids, they claim they were too busy all year. Yes all year. Either this or my kids tell me I have my own money and should buy things myself if I want them. If I ask my wife, she says she isn't going to waste her money on me. She has more important things to worry about. If I then go out and buy myself something they all ask why I am wasting our money on things I really don't need. I should be putting that money aside for something the whole family needs and not be selfish and think about myself only.

They wonder why I don't get into the spirit of Xmas as other Dads do ??? Go figure. Its lucky I like a drink every now and then. More so now than then, but both will do. Merry Xmas all you lovely Blues buddies here. At least I can share a common interest with people who care if I say something ever once in a while.

Moral of the story - use condoms?  ;D

Just joking Mantis. You can come and get blind with me any time.  ;D

In all seriousness though, I suppose it comes with growing up though - Christmas as you get older becomes a time not of presents, but of giving, being the Santa if you will. Just enjoy the moments you see of your children opening the presents you give them - it doesn't last forever. Nor does the family unit. Just enjoy the time you have while you're here. Because there's plenty of time to not enjoy it when you're not here. Gozza gives the sermon. Merry Christmas Mantis.  :D 

Cheers Bud

Reply #24

Shut up Mants! :P*

*meant in full jest
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #27
A Very Cheffy Xmas.

Our Newly appointed General manager reckons staff should spend Xmas with family.

"Awesome"

Xmas is still a pain in the arse re ordering and rosters. Boxing day is a bastard no supplies and probable bugger all patronage.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #28

Green Stick, good buddy... now that just sucks! Time to sit those 3 down and give them a talking to re the spirit of giving!

Yep, you've got some good pals here and as the GozzMan said, any time you want to have a few at the footy and share a few yarns and laughs... I'm there. :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
Thread should be renamed Happy Festivus. Seems a few of us have started the airing of grievances.  ;D