Skip to main content
Topic: Jumpers 11-20 Snapshot for 2014. (Read 5804 times) previous topic - next topic

Jumpers 11-20 Snapshot for 2014.

11 – Robert Warnock – Games 70. Turns 27 in January.

Won the battle against Shaun Hampson for the second ruck spot now he has to stand up and be counted. It’s fine to tap the ball but our mids need a better ride when roving to Robby. His marking is soft and kicking for goal has fallen away ever since he got hit in the head against Geelong and missed the goal for the match.

Things to improve – Better hands and more strength in the marking contest, plus better vision. Too often last season Rob got the ball and threw it onto his boot when a better option was a little give to a player running by.
2015 – He is here now and with no young ruck putting pressure on him I doubt things will change too much. Hitting that peak age for a ruckman so hopefully Rob can stay away from the medical room and on the park.

12 – Mitch Robinson – Games 88. Turns 25.

I love Mitch Robinson. You can focus on his negatives and there are a couple or you can sit back on marvel at the courage this man shows, not every now and then, but all the time. Team mates would love to run out with him every week, knowing that they will get 100% effort, 100% of the time. I will always think of the game where Gibbs tackled an Essendon player after the quarter time siren and they cut up rough. Mitch stood between three (juiced up, I might add) Essendon players and Gibbs, protecting him, basically saying if you want him you’ll have to go through me. I love Mitch Robinson.

Things to improve – Decision making and knowing his limitations. Mitch is a blunt instrument who doesn’t have the fine finishing skills of some others, so maybe sometimes he needs to give the ball to others to finish his good work.
2015 – Should get his name on the locker through the year and then more of the same.

13 – Chris Yarran – Games 84. Turns 24 in December.

Yazz, beautifully balanced running machine with the ability to hit people lace out from 40 meters away or the invisible man. I still think Chris needs to get on the wing more, give him some freedom and space to use his pace. Running in to goal Yazz is not a selfish player he will choose the best option 90% of the time. We can go far if we have a Yarran that averages 15-20 touches and has 3+ forward 50 touches per game.

Things to Improve – Defensive side, being involved. I don’t know why he goes missing for so long, could it be he’s in the wrong spots to be used? What ever the reason Chris needs to get the ball more for us to be a better team.
2015 – Hopefully gets to 100 games mid season and then grabs to league by the scruff of the neck and says stop me if you can cause he has that ability. Matera had that for a few seasons and Yarran could have it too.

14 - Brock McLean = Games 141. Turns 28 in March.

Probably the most limited man on the list, but knows where to go and what to do. Gets his 20 possies and a few forward 50 touches per game. Marks well for his size and you know he will give everything when out on the field. Quick mind and slow feet.

Things to improve – What you see from Brock is what you’re going to get. I’d like to see more of a mentoring role from him around the club. Graham, Buckley, Temay, Cripps and Holman just get around Brock, so rather that improve himself he can improve others.
2015 – Still plugging away, would not want to see a major injury especially to his legs or feet cause he wouldn’t want to get slower.

15 – Sam Docherty – Games 13. Turns 21 in October.

Great get by the club, very good foot skills, above average AFL speed and a ready made replacement for Scotland.

Things to improve – Not seeing much at all of Sam, I’ll go the generic approach, fitness and strength.
2015 – A HBF in all games providing run and pin point accuracy

17- Sam Rowe – Games 10 – Turns 27 in November

If McLean is the most limited player on the list then Rowe is a very close second. Is a good size and can take a semi contested mark and will try to compete but is slow both by mind and foot. Stays on the list because he can ruck but really all he should be is insurance for forwards and rucks.

Things to Improve – Awareness and positioning. At Sams age and limited preparation I doubt there is much chance of him getting quicker so he better learn to stand and deliver.
2015 – Very surprised if he is still on the list.

18 – Tom Temay – Games 0. Turns 20 in February.

Great endurance, but not much else. Hasn’t really set the world alight for the Northern Blues but after a full pre season and a year to get used to things things may change.

Things to improve – Strength and involvement in play. Needs to be that player who runs past every mark taken behind the centre and delivers up field.
2015 – A lot depends on what happens this season, could be a delist if things float along.

Improvement from this lot looks thin, with only Yarran and Docherty having a major upside. Robbo has pretty much show his full bag of tricks as has Warnock, Rowe and McLean. Temay?

Re: Jumpers 11-20 Snapshot for 2014.

Reply #1
Warnock has much improvement left in him imo. As much as anyone in terms on influencing a game.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2
Temay is a pretty skilled footballer.

Bit standoffish last year in comparison to others

Reply #3
I think Rowe has a lot of upside potential, assuming his health issues are behind him and he can train at full capacity.

He's 198cm, and renowned for his attack on the ball and a good mark to boot.

Solid kicking technique too...

He will surprise many in 2014 I reckon.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
I think Rowe has a lot of upside potential, assuming his health issues are behind him and he can train at full capacity.

He's 198cm, and renowned for his attack on the ball and a good mark to boot.

Solid kicking technique too...

He will surprise many in 2014 I reckon.

I hope he has worked on his endurance and fitness. That would help him play out games and his one on one body work. Everything else appears to be fine with him. I like what potential he has and hope he brings it on. For his sake and not just the teams.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5
Temay is a pretty skilled footballer.

Bit standoffish last year in comparison to others

I wouldn't have said a 'bit standoffish' but rather something of a non event in 2013.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
Warnock, there I no place to hide now, its either stand up and be counted or you can got the way of Jacobs & Hampson.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #7
Rowe will be gone at the end of 2014.

Reply #8
Re : Yarran

then grabs to league by the scruff of the neck and says stop me if you can cause he has that ability.

Agreed, but will he do it every week for the full 100mins of a match, not when he decides to go ??

Reply #9
Re : Yarran

then grabs to league by the scruff of the neck and says stop me if you can cause he has that ability.

Agreed, but will he do it every week for the full 100mins of a match, not when he decides to go ??

We should expect 100% effort from him at al times but impossible to expect the high end output 100% of the time as he will have plent of opponents paying him very close attention. A more consistent and mature Yarran would thrill us all in 2014.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #10

Bad call, silly call, premature call. Last season was about getting back into it all after cancer....this season could be make or break but you shouldn't write him off just yet.

Reply #11

Bad call, silly call, premature call. Last season was about getting back into it all after cancer....this season could be make or break but you shouldn't write him off just yet.
Thanks, Caro!!! ;) ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12

Thanks, Caro!!! ;) ;)

;D  ;D