Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Carlton v St Kilda (Pre-game Chatter) (Read 66757 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Carlton v St Kilda (Pre-game Chatter)

Reply #150
From match reports i've read it's not so much how much Graham is doing but how he's doing it.

Descriptions seem to include, neat, skilful, good awareness, knows how to find it and use it.

Tom Bells seem to include, got plenty of it, good attack on the ball but butchered it a bit.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #151
Our last 20 games against this mob makes for pretty unsavoury reading:
WWLLLLLLLLLLLLWWLLLL
Would love a win but cant convince myself we can. Got on the Saints at $3.25 just in case.
I would also like to set the Universe aright by putting this mob to the sword. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening. If our team selection is not 'tanking', then I've never seen it.

Losing to St. Kilda 'is like dancing with your sister', to paraphrase Denis Pagan.

Nick Graham: he has to be close to a senior game just because it looks like he can play. He has had a total of 3 VFL games ever, after spending the first half of the season on the LTI list. He played well in the first 2 of these, and was heavily tagged (for 19 possessions in a team that got flogged) in the 3rd. His disposal has been pretty good.
Tom Bell would have been playing senior football but for his broken jaw. His disposal has not been as good as Graham's to this point.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #152
Graham is no tagger.  That being said, he is having a decent year in the Northern Blues but is not exactly banging the door down for selection.  Tom Bell was doing more, and failed to really get selected.

I would've thought he would be in the "Banging down the door" basket. Has been in the best in every game he has played at Northern. The one real shining light in a otherwise unproductive midfield. These games are really important for his development. Get 6 or so games under his belt this year and it will hold him in good stead. We can surely get him into our side for one of our 4 taggers (Curnow IMO). Importantly he has earned his shot at the big time, unlike Rowe who has zero impact at Northern but still gets re-called to spearhead our forward line   ???
Eat more chooks

Reply #153
If anyone wants to talk "Line in the Sand" then this one is it.

That's a few times I've seen this game referred to as a "Line in the Sand" game. We're talking about a team sitting which has cemented a spot in the bottom 4 - we're in worse shape than even I thought if this is line in the sand stuff.

Reply #154
If anyone wants to talk "Line in the Sand" then this one is it.

That's a few times I've seen this game referred to as a "Line in the Sand" game. We're talking about a team sitting which has cemented a spot in the bottom 4 - we're in worse shape than even I thought if this is line in the sand stuff.

We are not in good shape atm IOT - maybe tonight we can turn it around?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #155

Four games just past to define our season or draw a line in the sand. We didn't. I'm not sure about those kinds of games anyway. How many of us thought we had draw a line in the sand in R3 2012 when we physically smashed a team which had traditionally bullied us? :-[

I am interested to see how our guys play though. I expect a comfortable win but it's a dead rubber so I want to see if they just go through the motions.

Reply #156
From match reports i've read it's not so much how much Graham is doing but how he's doing it.

Descriptions seem to include, neat, skilful, good awareness, knows how to find it and use it.

Tom Bells seem to include, got plenty of it, good attack on the ball but butchered it a bit.

Graham thinks like a footballer; looks right at home with the aggot in his hands and is a ball magnet. Thank you, Nick Stevens, for putting this bloke under the nose of recruiting... they probably wouldn't have noticed him without your efforts ::)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #157

Graham thinks like a footballer; looks right at home with the aggot in his hands and is a ball magnet. Thank you, Nick Stevens, for putting this bloke under the nose of recruiting... they probably wouldn't have noticed him without your efforts ::)

more importantly, he is an extroverted character... the kind of character we were missing.

Reply #158

Four games just past to define our season or draw a line in the sand. We didn't. I'm not sure about those kinds of games anyway. How many of us thought we had draw a line in the sand in R3 2012 when we physically smashed a team which had traditionally bullied us? :-[

I am interested to see how our guys play though. I expect a comfortable win but it's a dead rubber so I want to see if they just go through the motions.

The line in the sand I want to see is the one that says that whenever we take to the field we each give our absolute 100% utmost for the team. That's the most important thing for us atm. Making a start on that one would be good and keeping it up for the rest of the year would be even better!

Reply #159

more importantly, he is an extroverted character... the kind of character we were missing.
Have you seen his hair do ;D
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #160
don't think they'll leave anything behind for this one. would have liked to see Menzel played, expect we'll finally break the hoodoo
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #161
re: Milne....gets off on the crowd booing him and loves to stick up opposing cheer squads etc....I hope we leave it alone and just play footy and he doesnt get too much insperation from being heckled.

Interesting choice for MM will be who plays on Reiwoldt...do you play Henderson forward and leave Jamo on NR which means McInnes would probably have to play on Tom Lee. IF Jamo gets NR you know it will be the same old same old from  NR dragging Jamo up the ground and leaving a big hole down forward for Milne to work in..

Reply #162
re: Milne....gets off on the crowd booing him and loves to stick up opposing cheer squads etc....I hope we leave it alone and just play footy and he doesnt get too much insperation from being heckled.

Interesting choice for MM will be who plays on Reiwoldt...do you play Henderson forward and leave Jamo on NR which means McInnes would probably have to play on Tom Lee. IF Jamo gets NR you know it will be the same old same old from  NR dragging Jamo up the ground and leaving a big hole down forward for Milne to work in..

I think the trick with these things is to deny the hole.

Reply #163

In the earlier Saints game NR mercilessly dragged Jamo around the ground and ran him into the deck. We should certainly avoid that same pitfall. If Riewoldt leaves our defensive zone then someone else should go with him or pick him up. I would be tempted to think of Walker - try to spoil and then exploit him on the rebound?

Reply #164

I think the trick with these things is to deny the hole.

If we need extra tactical support in that area, I still have a few numbers of some masters of that approach :P