Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Carlton v St Kilda (Pre-game Chatter) (Read 67058 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Carlton v St Kilda (Pre-game Chatter)

Reply #75
Id only be making the changes where the player has put their hand up and stated "picked me".

You fix the culture of clubs like ours in a dead year, like this year for us.

You can set standards that will hold up of why people get games of footy, and you can reward blokes with the correct attitude by giving them a game and dropping the players who are more than good enough but not showing the correct attitude.

I would call it as important as playing finals, if not more important.  You learn a lot by playing finals football, but I think you take steps towards winning a flag when you start laying the foundations of what is and is not acceptable.

Been discussed before that some players show nothing in the twos but lift when playing senior footy....Watson and Mitchell are two that have been ordinary for most of the year but sometimes you have to gamble and throw them in the deep end with or without form to see where they are at before making decisions on their future.

Reply #76
Id only be making the changes where the player has put their hand up and stated "picked me".

You fix the culture of clubs like ours in a dead year, like this year for us.

You can set standards that will hold up of why people get games of footy, and you can reward blokes with the correct attitude by giving them a game and dropping the players who are more than good enough but not showing the correct attitude.

I would call it as important as playing finals, if not more important.  You learn a lot by playing finals football, but I think you take steps towards winning a flag when you start laying the foundations of what is and is not acceptable.

Been discussed before that some players show nothing in the twos but lift when playing senior footy....Watson and Mitchell are two that have been ordinary for most of the year but sometimes you have to gamble and throw them in the deep end with or without form to see where they are at before making decisions on their future.

I understand that this can be the case, but you have to ask the question of WHY?

Why can they step up and look good, yet be rubbish at lower levels?

My only answer is, that they are actually not that good, and having better players around them make them look good, which indicates long term they will eventually fail, once its their turn to lead or they will continue letting us down when we need them to win a contest.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #77
Just did my Footy Tips for the weekend.
Couldn't bring myself to tip against us, as much as my head was telling me to.
I'm giving the boys one last chance to salvage something from this year.

Reply #78
Just did my Footy Tips for the weekend.
Couldn't bring myself to tip against us, as much as my head was telling me to.
I'm giving the boys one last chance to salvage something from this year.

Your tips are safe Dom.

It's in the bag.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #79
Just realised it is a milestone game... Kreuz's 100th. Well that's it... we're kn@ckered :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #80
From memory Andy Mac wasn't exactly tearing it up in the VFL last year before he got a call up. I know it was probably more due to our extraordinarily long injury list, but he did step up at AFL level. Makes me think that maybe we should just take a gamble on Watson. What's there to lose? If we don't give him a shot now, we'll end up trading him for unders (as he probably has little trade value if he can't get a game). Mitchell on the other hand isn't ready for AFL - not a good enough tank yet etc. At least we know Watson can play out a full game.

Reply #81
From memory Andy Mac wasn't exactly tearing it up in the VFL last year before he got a call up. I know it was probably more due to our extraordinarily long injury list, but he did step up at AFL level. Makes me think that maybe we should just take a gamble on Watson. What's there to lose? If we don't give him a shot now, we'll end up trading him for unders (as he probably has little trade value if he can't get a game). Mitchell on the other hand isn't ready for AFL - not a good enough tank yet etc. At least we know Watson can play out a full game.
Maybe you should have a better read of Crash's & RR's reports, he (Mac) had shown good form in the 2s before coming in last week. 

I'm really surprised people are suggesting to "gift" games to players that certainly have done nothing to deserve a call up.  Really doesn't set a standard and culture going forward.  Many here keep referring to Swans/Cats culture and how players don't get gifted games in those teams, but we should  :-\  Hope MM doesn't start down this track.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #82
Gee I am really hoping for a very big win this week - something that makes a HUUUUGE statement that the CFC is BAAACK! Something to get the adrenaline pumping again.

Our collective enthusiasm and what's left of our optimism has all but been been destroyed this past week and I getting depressed by reading anything to do with our club atm.

If we lose again this week I think I will be putting my cue in the rack until next year and just hoping we can make the right start on fixing up the list over the off-season.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
Maybe you should have a better read of Crash's & RR's reports, he (Mac) had shown good form in the 2s before coming in last week. 

I'm really surprised people are suggesting to "gift" games to players that certainly have done nothing to deserve a call up.  Really doesn't set a standard and culture going forward.  Many here keep referring to Swans/Cats culture and how players don't get gifted games in those teams, but we should  :-\  Hope MM doesn't start down this track.

I meant last year when he debuted - hence why I mentioned Andy Mac may have got his shot cause of injuries. And I know Andy Mac was in good form before last week, I watch VFL most weeks and Andy Mac more than deserved the call up last week.

Reply #84
In ~ ROWE, SCOTLAND

out ~ WAITE, LEVI
 :-X

Reply #85
In ~ ROWE, SCOTLAND

out ~ WAITE, LEVI

No "knee jerk" reactions here  :D
Obviously giving them a chance at redemption.

Reply #86
In ~ ROWE, SCOTLAND

out ~ WAITE, LEVI

Two talls out, a tall and utility in. What's the bet Hendo starts forward and Rowe takes a tall down back. Armfield the sub. Watson emergency...  :-\
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #87
I am not a fan of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and hence, I don't think Henderson is our answer in the forward line, whilst he has formed such a good working relationship in the backline. BUT... he really does have to play forward this week, with Watson coming into the backline given that Waite is out and Casboult has been dropped doesn't he?
Has Casboult done something wrong and is he being disciplined? Because while I am no great fan of his, this week isn't the right week to drop him is it? We have a clear lack of talls going into the game... Don't like this at all.