Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted? (Read 28899 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted?

Reply #90
I read in the Age this morning that Melbourne has retained 28 of its 2022 premiership list including 20 of the 21 premiership players with Daisy Pearce's retirement their only change.

While you would expect players to be reluctant to leave a successful club, their player retention suggests that they must be doing a lot more right than winning premierships ... but that's to be expected.

It does show that the AFL's recruitment rules for expansion clubs will help to keep the stronger clubs strong and the weaker clubs weak.  All established clubs should have been required to offer up players to the expansion clubs; three each from the top four, two from the next four, and one from the also-rans.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #91
Its official ....

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1284026
THE CARLTON Football Club have made another two new additions during AFLW Sign and Trade period, securing Irish duo Dayna Finn and Erone Fitzpatrick.

Reply #92
Its official ....

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1284026

I hope they’ve been practising with the Sherrin … they could both get a game in the first round.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
I hope they’ve been practising with the Sherrin … they could both get a game in the first round.
We might not win any football games, but i reckon our football team is good enough to beat some countries at basketball!

Reply #94
I'm well aware of who had teams and when. What I'm missing is your point.

If youve got something to say, come out with it, don't beat around the bush.

The players with the closest relationships are ones that are lea ing the club....hosking twins and Velcro (prespakis and gee)

I didn't think I was being vague so ill spell it out for you. 

When I say relationships, I meant team unity.  If you have a different camp of individuals due to personalities it involves them putting aside and pulling in the same direction.

Then covid strikes.  Ive seen friendships and families divide over the covid response and using our forum as a litmus test you can clearly see how relationships and team dynamics could go south in that equation.

We won't be the only team that suffered with that, but maybe our AFLW team particularly having lost the opportunity at a grand final was full of types that were more likely to fall out.

Hence why you see a mass exodus.

Not sure what everyone else was inferring but the sexual relationships wasn't what I was referring to.  If anything Darcy's gender neutral stance may have caused some rigorous debate, but I can't really say if that caused any friction.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
To Thrys point, I have been told our AFLW team has always been made up of little Cliques, the girls are allegedly very and are its a far from united environment. Some of our players have extremely inflated opinions of themselves.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #96
I literally know people who have stopped talking over issues related to covid.  Friends whom had differing opinions and strong personalities became estranged from each other and no longer talk anymore.

Its a shame but its human nature, and understandable when contentious issues arise.

I didn't mention it, but the treatment of Taylah Harris may have also caused some grief too.  You would have to have a chat with each of the girls individually but losing the hosking twins was eye opening when it occurred.  Theyre the sort of teamates you want.  Solid but unspectacular team players.  Some of those players are the glue holding things together.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #97
I didn't mention it, but the treatment of Taylah Harris may have also caused some grief too.  You would have to have a chat with each of the girls individually but losing the hosking twins was eye opening when it occurred.  Theyre the sort of teamates you want.  Solid but unspectacular team players.  Some of those players are the glue holding things together.
Tayla Harris caused friction herself when she put herself above the team.
Yes, it may have pissed some off with how she was treated, but it would've won some friends as well.

Yes, there are cliques in the club. There are in every team.
If anything you see the cliques moving (hoskings, velcro).
Darcy was able to get former teammates recruited to the club with Odea and Dal Pos.
Kez managed to get Jess Good across from basketball after years of trying.
Does that explain players leaving? I don't think so.

Did peoples stance on covid make people leave? Possible, but far from #1 reason imo.
By our own admissions, the club has not put enough time, effort and energy into the AFLW program. That makes me think the problems are much bigger than one (or more) persons stance on covid....and a strong club could certainly put out that fire if/when it arose.

Reply #98
I literally know people who have stopped talking over issues related to covid.  Friends whom had differing opinions and strong personalities became estranged from each other and no longer talk anymore.

Its a shame but its human nature, and understandable when contentious issues arise.

Harris was a flog from all reports.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #99
Harris was a flog from all reports.
Harris was put on the pedestal by the sport and the media long before she was capable of dealing with the attention and the focus, it's quite common for elite athletes to be a little bit self-absorbed, to succeed they have to believe, they have to be a little selfish, but the trick is to manage the on field belief with the off-field existence.

fwiw; This is also the except wrong path that Sheedy led the likes of Hird, Lloyd and other protégés, he made them self-absorbed so they would succeed on field, but they became flogs off it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1287359/dv3-staying-in-the-navy-blue

Good on you Darcy ;)  ;D

And that is a genuine contract extension  :)

Reply #102
And that is a genuine contract extension  :)

It is, kinda.

Darcy wasn't contracted, so signing on is good, not exactly an extension.

It says signing for 2 years, but the background text on the pick just says 2023 season. Which is the same as Moods and Kez. For hill it said 2024 season.

So i'm not sure what is going on there, but am skeptical given the other little white lies the club has been telling.

Reply #103
It is, kinda.

Darcy wasn't contracted, so signing on is good, not exactly an extension.

It says signing for 2 years, but the background text on the pick just says 2023 season. Which is the same as Moods and Kez. For hill it said 2024 season.

So i'm not sure what is going on there, but am skeptical given the other little white lies the club has been telling.

Lloyd says Darcy will “remain with the Club for a further two years,” and that must mean 2023 and 2024.

Reply #104
It looks like it's as it says....two years, until the end of 2024

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/darcy-vescio-signs-new-twoyear-contract-to-remain-at-carlton/news-story/325644db9916676d508230653fa21952

Carlton has secured the signature of star forward Darcy Vescio for another two years in a major relief for fans following the departures of important senior players.

The first to reach 50 goals in AFLW history and the competition’s second all-time leading goalkicker, Vescio inked a new deal to remain at Carlton until the end of 2024.