Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong (Read 5373 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #180
10 weeks seems extreme. This isn’t a boy who was injured in the U/11s. He’s a professional footballer who will be provided with the best medical and rehabilitation services. A few screws and painkilling injections will reduce the rehab time dramatically. That doesn’t mean I would condemn him if he chose to recover more slowly for the best result in the long term. But you look at Daniel Chick having a finger amputated so he could return to the field quickly and it’s pretty obvious players will try to accelerate their recovery as much as humanly possible.

I remember seeing a doctor about a badly-strained ankle I copped in a footy game. I asked him how many weeks I’d miss and he said in a huff that I should rest it for a year but no footy player ever listened to him and no doubt I’d be playing in a couple of weeks.

Reply #181
Our small fwds need to absolutely fire for us to be any chance.
Im a fan of Doc playing in the midfield but thinking about it more, he is a vital cog in our defence hence needs to stay there for mine ATM.
Got to win the game, saving games isn't our strong suit.Doc to play in the midfield, maybe on a wing. Let's attack and be bold...

Reply #182
Anyone see Bartel on Footy Classified? He ran clips showing how Cameron and Hawkins connect a lot better than Harry and Charlie. To his credit, Harry runs well up the ground to offer a target for our defenders but when he wheels around to target Charlie he drops it on his head (or worse, kicks to the advantage of the opposition). One example was a kick that forced Charlie to sit under the ball, allowing Grimes to manhandle him until the ball spilled. On the other hand, Bartel showed examples where immediately after Cameron wheels around he locates Hawkins and drops the ball into the “swimming pool” on the opposite side of Hawkins’ opponent. He says he doesn’t need to be too precise as long as it allows Hawkins to move to it.

We really need Harry and Charlie to have big nights together. At the moment, they are really Plan A and Plan B - when 1 is quiet we hope the other fires.

The problem with those analyses is that the "expert" cherrypicks footage that backs up their position.  Cameron does play a lot through the midfield, but not as a marking target from wing to halfback as Harry and Charlie often do.  Cameron is often involved in chains of possessions that provide Hawkins with time and space to lead.  I imagine that Cameron and Hawkins were presented with more opportunities to score than Harry and Charlie but Charlie averaged more goals per game than Hawkins and Harry averaged slightly less that Cameron.  Then there's Stengle chipping in with just over 2 goals per game while our third best goal scorer was Crippa with 20.  Having a third forward target capable of averaging 2 goals a game would make life a lot easier for Harry and Charlie.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #183
Has Cameron's wife had her baby yet?  
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #184
Martin in doubt, surprise, surprise! 🙄
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #185
Has Cameron's wife had her baby yet? 

According to ESPN, the baby was due between R1 and 2. No up to date news on social media that I can find.

Reply #186
Confused. Vossy talked of Pitto needing more game time fitness, yet small Durds, without any game time, comes straight in (which I am wrapped with, but...). I can only assume that leaving out Pitto is based on our best ruck combo being TDK & JSOS and this excludes Pitto (based on opposition rucks?).

Pitto didn't have much of a pre-season at all, so he'd be further behind fitness wise.

Reply #187
Anyone see Bartel on Footy Classified? He ran clips showing how Cameron and Hawkins connect a lot better than Harry and Charlie. To his credit, Harry runs well up the ground to offer a target for our defenders but when he wheels around to target Charlie he drops it on his head (or worse, kicks to the advantage of the opposition). One example was a kick that forced Charlie to sit under the ball, allowing Grimes to manhandle him until the ball spilled. On the other hand, Bartel showed examples where immediately after Cameron wheels around he locates Hawkins and drops the ball into the “swimming pool” on the opposite side of Hawkins’ opponent. He says he doesn’t need to be too precise as long as it allows Hawkins to move to it.

We really need Harry and Charlie to have big nights together. At the moment, they are really Plan A and Plan B - when 1 is quiet we hope the other fires.
Thought it showed how Cerra looks for the safe pass and racks up useless stats, going wide just slowed down our entry when we had a one on one close to goal. Probably unfair to compare us to Collingwood who are much quicker and can play that constant momentum type game and run teams off their legs but it did show how we often dont give Charlie and Harry the easy lead into space mark and expect them to bail out the kicker with the big contested mark which was difficult vs players like Grimes who like that contested scenario.

Reply #188
OUT: Martin
IN: Pittonet
SUB: LOB

Reply #189
SOS had no shin guard on so Pitt in
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #190
I don't mind those changes. Martin out is not a loss. Pittonet should hopefully use his superior tap work to give us the edge in contest / clearances, and hopefully will also put some decent body work into Blicvavs / Stanley, wearing them down and reducing their influence as the game progresses.

Reply #192
Given the cats lost stewart and SDK is on one leg, its not a bad option to have extra talls to hurt them in the air.
Now hopefully the ground held up with the rain, and the extra talls don't hurt us with the ball being on the deck.

Also, we better not get another injury as it'll mean we can't sub out a tall!

Reply #193
Don't know if I should mention this as my source has been notoriously over reactionary but 10 weeks was what he'd heard.
Wouldn't normally say anything but he did make the call on the broken hand onfMonday. Hoping he's wrong again  :-\

Re: Hewitt
Don’t know how broken it is as he was at Children’s hospital doing the PR thing about Good Friday game shaking hands and giving out paraphernalia etc with no strapping on either hand

Reply #194
Re: Hewitt
Don’t know how broken it is as he was at Children’s hospital doing the PR thing about Good Friday game shaking hands and giving out paraphernalia etc with no strapping on either hand
Voss said should only miss 1 as it was just a crack