Skip to main content
Topic: Friday night curse (Read 5772 times) previous topic - next topic

Friday night curse

Couldn't make it to the game, which creates a major frustration listening to the overly matey TV commentators.

What do you think Duck?
Blah blah blah BT
Blah simper blah Lingy - don't you think?
Yes Bruce
That was a great kick for goal - oh it missed
I thought it was good too BT don't you think so Richo?
Blah blah Bruce
Blah simper blah Duck- isn't it?
Yes Bruce - shut up Bruce

Re: Friday night curse

Reply #1
Ling would have to be my very least liked commentator.

I liked him as a player and occasionally on TV, now I cannot stand him commentating. 

To me, he brings nothing to the game.

BT is a dick. Darcy is a dick. I have a soft spot for Bruce, so I'll leave him be.

Carey I can't stand as a bloke, but as a commentator I find him ok.

Reply #2
Carey is a good footy analyst imo - I quite like him in that role.

As for the rest of them pffft. Ling gets a double-pfffft.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
Ling started out as a very good commentator, but has now been corrupted by the idiocy that surrounds him. Carey is a bit repetitive IMO.

I am finding the TV commentary harder and harder to stomach the older I get - I can't tell if my standards have lifted or theirs have plummeted.

Reply #4
Ling started out as a very good commentator, but has now been corrupted by the idiocy that surrounds him. Carey is a bit repetitive IMO.

I am finding the TV commentary harder and harder to stomach the older I get - I can't tell if my standards have lifted or theirs have plummeted.

He's got a few mates there Paul, both on the show and off it.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
He's got a few mates there Paul, both on the show and off it.  ;)

Yes, that's true, although I expected more from Carey, not so much the others.

Reply #6
Speaking of Friday night curses,  we might have a night match curse under Bolton.  Have we won any on prime time at all?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
Couldn't make it to the game, which creates a major frustration listening to the overly matey TV commentators.

What do you think Duck?
Blah blah blah BT
Yes Bruce
Blah blah Bruce

Ahh, you've brought a smile to my face RR......a fair effort in these dark times !

but seriously, this is actually a very good synopsis of an average piece of commentary...

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #8
Is Ling still on Geelong 's list because he carries on like he is.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #9

Ahh, you've brought a smile to my face RR......a fair effort in these dark times !

but seriously, this is actually a very good synopsis of an average piece of commentary...

The one I like is BT's sage like announcements that you can't get them from there, but only after they miss! :o

In a 50K seat fully enclosed stadium, the biggest influence on the flight of the ball is his own big mouth! ;D

I must admit he's lost a fair bit of weight recently, still it makes me angry, because if he had done that a year or two earlier the state government could have saved tens of million$ on the Western Hwy upgrade/rebuild, most of which is designed to deal with the transportation of his huge head and ar5e between Melbourne and Beaufort!

Stupidly but predictably from the politicians, the road upgrade decision went ahead, when it would have been cheaper long term to stump up for a helicopter to pick him up and drop him off at the venue thus saving the roads! I know is sounds far fetched, but I believe the Army carried out not so secretive trials as recently as last month, just to prove they had the capacity to deal with BT and his lunch box!

I assume from this image, Brian will be inside the aircraft and his lunch box will be slung as indicated!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Friday night curse - continues

Reply #10

What do you think Duck?
Blah blah blah BT
Yes Bruce
Blah blah Bruce

I thought the curse that I mentioned a few weeks ago might have been broken when I realised Bruce wasn't there last night. Less overuse of nicknames and an absence of unnecessary questions after each statement would be great. Don't you think?

But the Channel 7 (over)commentators quickly made me realise that the curse persists.

The only positive was that Basil didn't obviously have a nickname; didn't use other nicknames for his fellow commentators (at least not often enough to annoy me) and didn't asks unnecessary post-statement questions ...

BUT what's with the endless and repetitive trivial trivia? Why is the chatter incessant?  How many inane explanations can you bozos come up with to try and explain a trend that consists of a single action?

Maybe the poor ratings have as much to do with the commentary as the 'state of the game'.

Describe the game you bozos. Don't jump in to add more meaningless banter whenever another commentator takes a breath. If you feel you have to fill pauses in the commentary - think again. Stop trying to explain every meaningless incident with such insight that shows you to be complete dickheads - and describe the game - without trying to big-note yourselves.

Reply #11
When we hit the front last night, there was no positivity, BT just started banging on about us not kicking 100 pts for so long.

They don't want to commentate Carlton games because the low scoring forks up their ad breaks. They commentate Carlton games like the Pudding Face Twins, it's all about me, me, me, me!

Put the same crew on a Bulldogs / Geelong / Norp / Swans type 40pt to 60pt game and they talk like it's better than sliced bread, yet those games do not rate!

If I was the AFL I'd be giving Ch.7 a please explain, because those spuds are ruining the sport for the fans!

But lets not forget, there a lot of back-room influence that occurs here, have a look over at 10. CheatsFC supporters have just white-anted Quartermaine to get Keyte in the news job. People think it's an accident or coincidence that the media is dominated by CheatsFC supporters!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Yes, too much talking about trout fishing in Quebec or some other nonsense, deliberately making a point that the game is boring and somehow beneath them.

The bottom of the barrel has found a new bottom.

Reply #13
The bottom of the barrel has found a new bottom.

The barrels name is BT, and the ar5e fell out if it years ago!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
The barrels name is BT, and the ar5e fell out if it years ago!

"LLLLLLOOOOYYYYD !" seems to have replaced "boy oh boy wowee"

This media caper is certainly a tough one.