Skip to main content
Topic: Queen (The Band) - Fan or Foe ?? (Read 11025 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Queen (The Band) - Fan or Foe ??

Reply #15
Some of their recent work is also pretty good
Paul Rodgers ex Free, Bad Company vocalist is playing with them
One of the finest voices in rock .
They perform Queen songs and Rodgers material

Good call Swed....Rodgers is great value live and Brian May really gives Free classics like "alright now" and "wishing well" a real edge with his classy guitar work.
The good thing about Rodgers is he puts his own spin on the Queen classics and doesnt try and emulate Freddie Mercury...its Paul Rodgers and Queen not Queen with a pretend Freddie copy doing the vocals.
I am a big Queen fan and they had/have a high standard of instrumental work backed by the great showmanship of what was one of the best in the business in Freddie Mercury......Only Thin Lizzy had them covered for guitar work and Lizzy's Phil Lynott was probably one of the other better frontmen of that era...

Reply #16
Queen is one of my all time favourites. Freddie had a vocal range that very few men could ever match. The music was great and as a total a great performing band. Some of my favourite songs were in the movie "Highlander" like Gimme the prize and Don't lose your head. They were always the type of band you either loved, or absolutely hated, yet they spanned many years. They changed with the times and were not a band that only lasted one small span in time. Its a shame I missed the doco. I love watching a bands rise to fame and see how they change over so many years. Or the lack of change.

RIP to a music legend; Freddie mercury.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #17

Good call Swed....Rodgers is great value live and Brian May really gives Free classics like "alright now" and "wishing well" a real edge with his classy guitar work.
The good thing about Rodgers is he puts his own spin on the Queen classics and doesnt try and emulate Freddie Mercury...its Paul Rodgers and Queen not Queen with a pretend Freddie copy doing the vocals.
I am a big Queen fan and they had/have a high standard of instrumental work backed by the great showmanship of what was one of the best in the business in Freddie Mercury......Only Thin Lizzy had them covered for guitar work and Lizzy's Phil Lynott was probably one of the other better frontmen of that era...

Hi Elwood
Yes your spot on about Rodgers doing it in his own style
I read where he said come along to the shows, but don't expect him to copy Freddie.
Queen , Return of the Champions is a great concert, as I'm sure you're aware of.
Enjoyed Roger Taylor singing Those were the days
I think Queen and Rodgers worked well together.

Reply #18

Hi Elwood
Yes your spot on about Rodgers doing it in his own style
I read where he said come along to the shows, but don't expect him to copy Freddie.
Queen , Return of the Champions is a great concert, as I'm sure you're aware of.
Enjoyed Roger Taylor singing Those were the days
I think Queen and Rodgers worked well together.

Swed...couple of handy players off the bench for PR and Queen in Jamie Moses on rhythm guitar and Danny Miranda(ex Blue Oyster Cult, another of my fav bands) on bass......Moses is a very good guitarist in his own right and Miranda also fills/filled in for the reclusive John Deacon very well.

Reply #19
Huge fan here. As someone else said, they were the soundtrack to my youth which just tends to weave itself into the fabric of your life.  Must say I'm jealous of Zed's avatar (said whilst laying claim to an unblemished record of heterosexuality, not that ...).
What are you trying to say about my sexuality, Iva?  :P  Feel free to use EM as your avatar as well. Its one of the default options on the new site.  I'm happy to change to something a bit more masculine... I'm sure I can dig out a pic of George Michael or Prince  8)

Back OT, I was a massive Queen fan in my youth. Liked them even more after their epic soundtrack to the film "Highlander". Some great tracks in that.

Zed, you misunderstand me - I was being genuine. Didn't mean to cast aspersions or cause offence. Didn't even know there were standard avatar's we could choose from with the new site. If I'd have seen Freddie was an option I would have snaffled it.  Not for the first time my smart-arsed comments have backfired. And for the record, I'm a fan of George and Prince too!  8)
Its all good Iva. I was just playing with you. No misunderstanding and no need for an apology.   O0
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #20
@ Iva: I've got myself a new avatar - Freddie is all your's.  8)

The avatars are under Profile - Forum Profile . Just select "Choose an option from the gallery" and you'll find Freddie under musicians (kind of like when he was alive I guess  ::) ) near the bottom of the list as Queen.  Enjoy!
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #21
Must say one of my fav's growing up. Still listen to them every now and then

Reply #22
I like Queen. The neighbours not so much.  :))

Reply #23

You don't like your neighbours, or your neighbours don't like Queen so much ?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #24
Very average in the grand scheme.

A bogan paradox.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #26

You don't like your neighbours, or your neighbours don't like Queen so much ?

Both.  :))

Or your neighbours don't like loud noise and you don't like neighbours who....???? :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Freddy wrote a few great anthems,  didn't he.

Wish I know what to make of Bohemian Rhapsody. Love the operatic song growing up especially yelling out "scaramouche, the fandango, Galileo Galilei, Figaro and Bismillah, I cannot let you go....".

But later on once I figured out what those words meant I thought maybe Freddy just selected them randomly.