Skip to main content
Topic: Covering Our Forwards (Read 14276 times) previous topic - next topic

Covering Our Forwards

As an opposition coach, in what order would you cover our forwards with your defenders? ie who would get no1 defender? No 2 etc.

Assume our forwards are:
Henderson
Jones
Casboult
Menzel

Re: Covering Our Forwards

Reply #1
As an opposition coach, in what order would you cover our forwards with your defenders? ie who would get no1 defender? No 2 etc.

Assume our forwards are:
Henderson - Smartest (e.g. Gibson)
Jones - body on body/third tall (e.g. Stratton)
Casboult - biggest/strongest (e.g. Lake)
Menzel - experienced rebounding defender (e.g. Birchall)

Reply #2

Assume our forwards are:

Problem - Stratton is 189cm odd, 90kg, Jones 198cm, 98kg+
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3

Assume our forwards are:

Probably use Spangher on one of our talls like they did in the GF.....Spangher while no star managed to get his body in the road of leading players, was the third man up and play help defense
as part of a team defensive effort like all the good teams do....Geelong had Milburn playing a similar role....

We are yet to progress in playing team defense and too often leave our defenders one out.....Sam Rowe is about the only one who gets to the contest to help a mate out....

Reply #4
A lot of oppositions would see that forward line as too top heavy, and look to exploit it going the other way. Jones forward pressure is apparently very good. His willingness to chase, harass and tackle is good for a big man
Eat more chooks

Reply #5

Assume our forwards are:

Probably use Spangher on one of our talls like they did in the GF.....Spangher while no star managed to get his body in the road of leading players, was the third man up and play help defense
as part of a team defensive effort like all the good teams do....Geelong had Milburn playing a similar role....

We are yet to progress in playing team defense and too often leave our defenders one out.....Sam Rowe is about the only one who gets to the contest to help a mate out....

Good point EB; the better teams play team defence and Hawthorn excel at it with Hodge chopping off passes, McEvoy filling holes, etc.  I don't think Hawthorn would be terribly concerned about covering our forwards.

Hopefully, our forwards can really step up a notch next season and getting the blokes in the back half to play team defence should help.

In terms of Townsend's call for suggestions for covering our forwards, in a purely one on one scenario I would go for:
Henderson - tall defender with the best endurance.
Jones - whoever is left over after covering the others.
Casboult - strongest tall defender and preferably one who could run off Levi.
Menzel - someone like Shaun Burgoyne who can hurt us going forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
I think the key to our forward structure is filling the other 2 holes forward with players that are quick to crumb the ball along with Menzel. Some fast running players would help stop the fast rebound out of the forward line. Walker type, and a Betts type player. :)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #7
Jones - whoever is left over after covering the others.

The answer I was fishing for!  At the Bullies, when he was in the side, he attracted the biggest and the strongest. With us there will be at least 2 or 3 ahead of him.  That will assist his improvement no end. 

Reply #8
Watched our R18 game versus the Roos on Fox and it was clear to me why they made such a big play for Waite. When He's on he's almost unstoppable.

That's my fear, not that he performs for someone else, just that who can do that job for us now?

The whole forward line will have to operate differently. Jones, or whoever takes the third banana role, is unlikely to take those one out marks with close coverage. Some of Waites work in that regard cannot be duplicated.

We'll need more entries and far more back back up once the ball gets in there.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #9

Assume our forwards are:

Jones doesn't really use his height and weight in contests but he's quick. Josh Gibson has been successful against Buddy for similar reasons, even though he's giving away about 7-8cm.

Reply #10
Jones is a leadup full forward who also like to fly for the big speccy....not really a body on body push and shove merchant. Bulldogs because they were ordinary had trouble hitting him up on the lead and that left him flying for marks from behind packs and every now and then he would grab one but the percentages were never in his favour to be successful. His second efforts were none to flash either and chasing/.tacklong were not great. either even though he is capable..

Malthouse needs to be prepared to teach him how to play the position and have some patience...I think our delivery will be better and he is capable of kicking 40 odd goals for the season..

Reply #11
Watched our R18 game versus the Roos on Fox and it was clear to me why they made such a big play for Waite. When He's on he's almost unstoppable.

That's my fear, not that he performs for someone else, just that who can do that job for us now?

The whole forward line will have to operate differently. Jones, or whoever takes the third banana role, is unlikely to take those one out marks with close coverage. Some of Waites work in that regard cannot be duplicated.

We'll need more entries and far more back back up once the ball gets in there.

The stars aligned that night and everyone had a blinder. Pretty sure we had three milestone games with Yazz/Robbo/Hendo all playing their 100th, I guess that best explains it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
We should change the thread title to Covering Our Fawkwards

Reply #13
when are the coaching panel going to change our game plan going towards our fwd line.open space ,fwds leading,no more bombs to our fwds might help.

Reply #14
when are the coaching panel going to change our game plan going towards our fwd line.open space ,fwds leading,no more bombs to our fwds might help.
Forwards leading, having the ball kicked into space :o
THAT is a new idea I don't think our coaching panel have heard about.
You'd better call the club M1 but keep it hush hush in case other clubs get wind of it. :)
2024... Moir of the same to come