Skip to main content
Topic: Covering Our Forwards (Read 14274 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Covering Our Forwards

Reply #15
when are the coaching panel going to change our game plan going towards our fwd line.open space ,fwds leading,no more bombs to our fwds might help.
Forwards leading, having the ball kicked into space :o
THAT is a new idea I don't think our coaching panel have heard about.
You'd better call the club M1 but keep it hush hush in case other clubs get wind of it. :)

That's always the plan, it's just that we are crud at kicking!  :-[

Plus, if you inch the ball around the boundary line there is never going to be any space!  >:(
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I keep it quiet LP be our secret. Why can other teams  find room ,space or are more intelligent going forward than us,i think we are a dumb team hopefully this will change in 2015 with our increase in fitness,different playing personnel.

Reply #17
I keep it quiet LP be our secret. Why can other teams  find room ,space or are more intelligent going forward than us,i think we are a dumb team hopefully this will change in 2015 with our increase in fitness,different playing personnel.

Other teams don't hug the boundary line  ::)

We always look much more polished and skillful when we go down the guts or centre the ball from the wing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
What I like is the KPF/tall targets we have added to the existing minus Waite.

Henderson, Casboult, Jones, Jaksch, Foster with cameos from Kreuzer and Watson just gives us a little bit extra than what we previously had IMO.

Would love to secure a big one such as Jeremy Cameron. They do cost but what a superstar!

Hopefully we can have watson and Foster working their butss off in the VFL playing in the key posts forward and pushing hard for AFL team selection whilst Jaksch learns the tricks of the trade down back at AFL level and holds down a key post most weeks working in tandem with Rowe and Jamison.

Reply #19
Watched our R18 game versus the Roos on Fox and it was clear to me why they made such a big play for Waite. When He's on he's almost unstoppable.

That's my fear, not that he performs for someone else, just that who can do that job for us now?

The whole forward line will have to operate differently. Jones, or whoever takes the third banana role, is unlikely to take those one out marks with close coverage. Some of Waites work in that regard cannot be duplicated.

We'll need more entries and far more back back up once the ball gets in there.

Talking to a Kangas mate of mine - they have a history of trading for players who play their one good game for the year against the roos.

Higgins also played a really good game against the roos apparently.

Waite was good but lets be honest - he did play VFL last year. This would be his last year - 2nd last absolute best case.

Reply #20
Waite does play a few good games each year but his injury and suspension records speak for themselves. Unless he can turn this around I'm not that worried that he's at NMFC.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
I am concerned!

After Waite's inexplicable sojourn in the NBs, he played 16 games, kicked 29 goals and was rated 4th in contested marks per game and 9th for marks inside 50 per game.  I will be pleasantly surprised if any of our key forwards can get close to that.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
Waite does play a few good games each year but his injury and suspension records speak for themselves. Unless he can turn this around I'm not that worried that he's at NMFC.

Funny thing being he was relatively injury free under Mick, he just wasn't there mentally.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
I am concerned!

After Waite's inexplicable sojourn in the NBs, he played 16 games, kicked 29 goals and was rated 4th in contested marks per game and 9th for marks inside 50 per game.  I will be pleasantly surprised if any of our key forwards can get close to that.

Fair enough DJC he had a good spell in a period he was looking for a longer contract. Now he's got that can he maintain this performance over the journey? Big question IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
I just want to emphasise that Waite was rated 4th in the entire AFL for contested marks per game and 9th in the AFL for marks inside 50.  

While the second statistic is more about delivery and the form of players up the field, contested marking is an ability that is worth its weight in gold.

I reckon Casboult is the only one of our forwards with the potential to get close to Waite's contested marking.

Reply #25
DJC, I think we'll be in for a bit of a rude shock next season but we should have had someone developing to take over from Waite and not had to chase down players from teams below us to fill holes when the inevitable happened.

Reply #26
DJC, I think we'll be in for a bit of a rude shock next season but we should have had someone developing to take over from Waite and not had to chase down players from teams below us to fill holes when the inevitable happened.

Hopefully SOS will be on top of those issues and will recruit for the long term.  Of course, we'll have to be more successful with developing blokes, particularly KPPs.

Reply #27
I am concerned!

Liam Jones/Hendo/Casboult - Waite was mia too often. Dis stupid, selfish, anti team stuff too often. The team will be better without him.

Jones and/or Casboult will blossom in 2015.

Waite who?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28
I just want to emphasise that Waite was rated 4th in the entire AFL for contested marks per game and 9th in the AFL for marks inside 50.  

While the second statistic is more about delivery and the form of players up the field, contested marking is an ability that is worth its weight in gold.

I reckon Casboult is the only one of our forwards with the potential to get close to Waite's contested marking.

Along side that you have to put in that he was only 31st in the league for goals per game.

Also - his loss would have been a loss if we'd have traded him or not. Being that he's injury prone and 30+ he's all but retired.

It's difficult to see all of our unproven quantities up forward can cover the loss of Waite, Betts and Garlett.

I think we need Walker settled at full forward as he's as close to a proven quantity as we've got.

At the moment we've just got to cross our fingers that one of that large group of new forwards will come good.

Tutt, Jaksch, Foster, Jones, Smith, etc. - surely a couple of those guys will grab their opportunity.

I'm hoping for a lot from Casboult, Menzel and Walker too. As long as we don't play Ellard as our first choice crumbing forward I'll be happy.

Reply #29

I agree but we can't have Levi as an only target in the forward 50m. As we did for Fev and once he left we looked for Waite all the time. Levi won't carry the entire squad, and Menzel, Jones, Walker along with Henderson may give us options that stretch a defensive set up. These others need to lead into space to isolate Levi one on one in the square where he will be hard to beat. Not many defenders stop him from taking contested marks because of his size and strength. Waite was a great contested mark but couldn't match Levi for brute strength.

Look at the options Hawthorn have up forward. Roughead is not their only target. Sure he is their key target, but not the only option, and their mids know this and work to the teams strengths by using the multiple targets up forward. This is why Franklin leaving them is probably a blessing. All above IMO only.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.