Skip to main content
Topic: Jim Park Medal 2016 (Read 20922 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jim Park Medal 2016

Reply #15
Rd 6: Carlton vs Essendon
It might have been a pretty small crowd and a less than perfect game, but the result was the stuff of dreams. Now to complete the 3-peat! Well, I can dream....

Thanks to the 25 people who voted. That was 8 more than for the corresponding game last year. The voters were also happier than they were last year. The rating was 8.35, a little less than last week, but a comfortable C+. If we could actually show some skill....
Again, I can dream.
Again, there was a considerable spread in votes. Many voters were (relatively) happy with the performances of many of the players and even those who did not get votes were considered liabilities.

The Votes:
Thomas, Dale 359
Gibbs, Bryce 230
Murphy, Marc 145
Curnow, Edward 135
Simpson, Kade 130
Wright, Matthew 60
Phillips, Andrew 52
Byrne, Ciaran 50
Docherty, Sam 20
Graham, Nick 17
Kerridge, Sam 15
Rowe, Sam 12
Armfield, Dennis 10
White, Simon 8
Kreuzer, Matthew 7
Plowman, Lachlan 2

Daisy Thomas played arguably his best game for Carlton for the 2nd time this year. He deserved to be a top vote getter for this round. Murphy, Gibbs, Curnow and  Simpson also garner attention for strong displays. Wright, Simpson, Ed Curnow, Kerridge and Docherty continued their consistent performances, polling votes in every game so far.

Progressive Standings:
813 - Murphy, Marc (0)
763 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
728 - Docherty, Sam (0)
682 - Thomas, Dale (0)
657 - Simpson, Kade (0)
644 - Curnow, Edward (0)
592 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
579 - Gibbs, Bryce (0)
385 - Wright, Matthew (0)
252 - Kerridge, Sam (0)
188 - Byrne, Ciaran (0)
117 - Rowe, Sam (0)
93 - Phillips, Andrew (0)
79 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
72 - Graham, Nick (0)
57 - Curnow, Charles (0)
50 - Kreuzer, Matthew (0)
33 - Sumner, Liam (0)
28 - Jamison, Michael (0)
24 - Casboult, Levi (0)
19 - Boekhorst, Blaine (0)
15 - Tuohy, Zach (0)
11 - Armfield, Dennis (0)
9 - White, Simon (0)
8 - Lamb, Jed (0)
6 - Buckley, Dylan (0)
4 - Jones, Liam (0)
3 - Whiley, Mark (0)
3 - Walker, Andrew (0)

It is a very close thing at the top of the table. There are a large number of players who have managed to get votes consistently this year, so there is only 1 good game's difference between the top 8 players. Murphy managed to get the lead this week, as Cripps missed out with injury.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Great work, Crash.

It really goes to show people's perspectives - 16/22 players received votes...

Reply #17
Its odd to see Nick Graham regarded by fans but keeps getting dropped.

Reply #18
Its odd to see Nick Graham regarded by fans but keeps getting dropped.
To be honest, he is nowhere near the form he was in last year before he got injured. But he isn't playing badly; well, he did have a couple of quietish games, but nothing terrible.
When he started he got a lot of marks, especially in defence, and moved the ball on VERY slowly. He might get 15 possessions, but he didn't hurt anyone. He appeared to lack confidence and he took no risks at all. He was often out-bodied and he got relatively few clearances. Considering that the whole team was playing 'safely', it is no surprise when he didn't jell.
Last year after the coaching change, his style of play changed radically. He was involved in a lot more clearances and he took very few marks. He was a more attacking player.
This year he has played somewhat more like he used to, although he is getting more ball and moving the ball on faster and more accurately. He hasn't had the clearances and he has been out-bodied more than a little. He is probably been dropped because he hasn't been able to get the clearances yet. I think that will come. But he does need to get stronger, as he probably won't get much faster.
Another thing is the different way we set up in the middle. A lot of our mids have had some trouble with that. It appears that Bolton wants some faster people in there to get a fast break. Also he has to share the job with Kerridge and Wright, who have taken his time in the middle.
I cannot be certain that he will return to his 'old' form, but he has developed a lot more than he did under Malthouse. He was one step from delisting then.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
That's really good stuff Crash, didn't look at it that way and you are right.

Reply #20
That's really good stuff Crash, didn't look at it that way and you are right.
Yeah, but, being a teacher, I talk too much. Occupational hazard. And Now I write too much. :) A poster called 'Wallsy' claimed that I acted too much of a sage: well, the worst jibes have some truth in them. Maybe I am King Monkey, the Great Sage equal of Heaven! Maybe I am just some SF fan with delusions of grandeur. And I'm even stuffing up this thread with irrelevancies. But I'll get back on topic soon! :) 
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Right, back on topic at last! Can't police that if I can't do it myself!

Rd: 7 Carlton vs Collingwood
Our first win over the Ancient Enemy in years and much appreciated it was. Just as appreciated was the fact that we produced an excellent team performance with a LOT of players standing up when it was required.
The rating for this game came in at 9.16, the highest we have recorded for quite a while (since Juddy was getting 3 Brownlow votes most weeks). That represents something between a B and a B+.
This round last year we had about a dozen very dissatisfied voters. This time we had 26 voters and they voted early. We had 12 players receive votes.

Votes:
Gibbs, Bryce 339
Simpson, Kade 244
Casboult, Levi 227
Cripps, Patrick 224
Docherty, Sam 180
Curnow, Edward 71
Murphy, Marc 24
Rowe, Sam 22
Everitt, Andrejs 15
Byrne, Ciaran 12
Kreuzer, Matthew 10
Lamb, Jed  3
Kerridge, Sam 2

The votes were very evenly spread among the top 5 players, but after that not many players got a mention.

Progressive Voting:
987 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
918 - Gibbs, Bryce (0)
908 - Docherty, Sam (0)
902 - Simpson, Kade (0)
836 - Murphy, Marc (0)
716 - Curnow, Edward (0)
682 - Thomas, Dale (0)
385 - Wright, Matthew (0)
253 - Kerridge, Sam (0)
251 - Casboult, Levi (0)
200 - Byrne, Ciaran (0)
139 - Rowe, Sam (0)
79 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
72 - Graham, Nick (0)
61 - Kreuzer, Matthew (0)
57 - Curnow, Charles (0)
33 - Sumner, Liam (0)
16 - Everitt, Andrejs (0)
15 - Tuohy, Zach (0)
11 - Lamb, Jed (0)
11 - Armfield, Dennis (0)
9 - White, Simon (0)
6 - Buckley, Dylan (0)
4 - Jones, Liam (0)
3 - Whiley, Mark (0)
3 - Walker, Andrew (0)

It is VERY even at the top, with 4 players between 900 and 1000 votes. Again, we had a change of leader. That trend looks like continuing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
Curnow should be much higher. Murphy has stunk it up this year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23
Curnow should be much higher. Murphy has stunk it up this year.
Your opinion: as such, fair enough.
I do not totally agree.
[1] Curnow: At 700+ votes he is one top game from outright leadership. That isn't bad at all. And he does have good competition this year. A LOT of guys have been playing well and playing consistently. Then you look at his style of game: it doesn't get the pundits as well as some others do. It is not a criticism of Curnow, but he does a lot of things that are not always that visible. Other guys stand out more.
It can be accurately said that Curnow has been one of our most consistent and well performed players this year. Hs contribution is up there with the 'stars' on our list.
[2] Murphy: He may not be at his best; certainly he was not in the first few weeks. However, he is getting better and being a lot more consistent than he has been for some time. He may not be standing out as much, but his contributions have been important and crucial. In fact, I do not expect Murphy to stand out as much, as other players have been taking up their share of the load. That is a real positive for us: we are not dependent on the form (or otherwise) of a small group of players.
I could not say that he was 'stinking it up'.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
Your opinion: as such, fair enough.
I do not totally agree.
... ............................................
That is a real positive for us: we are not dependent on the form (or otherwise) of a small group of players.
I could not say that he was 'stinking it up'.

Agree crash.

Reply #25
Agree crash.

I agree too. 

Curnow's hard work negating an opposition star and winning his own footy is often overlooked but I think the votes reflect his contribution fairly well.  Murphy has had issues like staples in his head but has played great footy when needed as you would expect from a Carlton captain.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
@ Crash

I think our core group of senior players is generally beginning to show a lot more in terms of effort and leadership Crash, led by Simmo, Gibbs, Murph and including Ed Curnow. This is a significant factor for future success under Bolton and I'm encouraged by it. Looking forward to today's game where hopefully it will continue.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #27
Degree of difficulty for Murphy vs Curnow is much higher IMO...being captain as well as a playmaker is a harder gig than being a pure tagger IMO...
I agree Curnow has played well this year but he doesnt have a player sitting on him every game like Murphy does nor is he expected to provide any real drive or creative stuff. The best taggers are the ones that can get the tagging job done and hurt the other team when they get the footy...

Reply #28
Round 8: Carlton vs Port Adelaide
One of our more impressive performances in recent time: we managed to hang in there with lots of injury problems and came back where we haven't been able to in recent times. Most of our players made a decent contribution, even those whose got beaten early in the game.
The voting public appeared to appreciate it as well: we over doubled the number of voters compared to this round last year. That is positive to start with. The overall rating, 9.54, was the highest for quite a while. That is between a B+ and an A-.
15 players managed votes this week. And a LOT of guys managed Honourable Mentions.

Unfortunately we also suffered a number of injuries that may have a serious effect for a number of weeks.

Votes:
Docherty, Sam 364
Kreuzer, Matthew 298
Gibbs, Bryce 296
Rowe, Sam 119
Simpson, Kade 103
Cripps, Patrick 89
Murphy, Marc 72
Curnow, Edward 38
Sumner, Liam 24
Plowman, Lachlan 10
Everitt, Andrejs 4
Lamb, Jed 4
Armfield, Dennis 4
Jones, Liam 4
Wright, Matthew 2

The top vote getters were reasonably close. This shows that we don't appear to depend on a single player, but now have a core group who perform most rounds. We haven't seen anything like this for quite a while.

Progresives:
1272 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1214 - Gibbs, Bryce (0)
1077 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
1005 - Simpson, Kade (0)
908 - Murphy, Marc (0)
753 - Curnow, Edward (0)
682 - Thomas, Dale (0)
387 - Wright, Matthew (0)
359 - Kreuzer, Matthew (0)
258 - Rowe, Sam (0)
253 - Kerridge, Sam (0)
251 - Casboult, Levi (0)
200 - Byrne, Ciaran (0)
89 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
72 - Graham, Nick (0)
57 - Curnow, Charles (0)
57 - Sumner, Liam (0)
20 - Everitt, Andrejs (0)
15 - Lamb, Jed (0)
15 - Tuohy, Zach (0)
14 - Armfield, Dennis (0)
9 - White, Simon (0)
8 - Jones, Liam (0)
6 - Buckley, Dylan (0)
3 - Walker, Andrew (0)
3 - Whiley, Mark (0)

Docherty and Gibbs moved out a little in front, but a good game from any of the others could change that pretty quickly. The other thing of note is the consistency of a number of our players this year.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Interesting how Kerridge was hot property preseason (and has continued to work extremely hard) but it's Matthew Wright who is 130 points ahead of him.  I really like Wright. He's honest and hard at it.