Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Rd 1: Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne (Read 13856 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Rd 1: Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne

Reply #15
Agree with you on Graham.  Agree mostly in regard to Boekhurst, though he did try and get in the game.  And Polson, I think, should be playing instead of Thomas based on that performance.

I though Fisher played better than you did.  And I really liked Sheehan's game.  He was out muscled by Lisle at one point but overall he was our best defender by far.  Again could play seniors - offers more than a White.

Totally agree, I thought EB1 was too slow, especially in the 3rd  :D ;D Sorry Mondy, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, reckon you're on the money with Boekhorst, you couldn't knock his effort, he really did do his best to get into the game. And also agree re Gus, he was our best defender and looks the goods... the bloke who out marked him in the last is also about 3 metres taller so we won't blame Gussy for that one. Fisher is coming along nicely. Polson, yep.

Glad others got to see the Cuningham conundrum. The bloke is all class, but only for guest appearances. Does some really good things then goes missing for extended periods. And he's been that way since he arrived...

Graham is a very good seconds player  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
If Cunningham had kicked that goal after the Korchek tap I wonder if he would have been more involved in the second half.  Because the miss seemed to deflate him.

I'm not confident about Smedts making it.  Sumner also a worry.

Reply #17
Left at 3/4 time but thought Cunningham was very good especially in first half.  Found a lot of the ball and used it well and also competed hard. Has so much pace wish he would use it more.

Polson and Fisher show a bit and so did Harry but agree it will take him a while . Did not think Graham was as bad as some others do.

jaksch is a complete spud.  Would have to be really desperate to give him a game in the seniors........

Reply #18
The really disappointing thing is that the NBs showed much more than this in the pre season. Kerridge and Palmer missing from the midfield wouldn't have helped... left everything to Phillips, Graham, Cuningham, Boekhorst and the newbies...

Reply #19
Totally agree, I thought EB1 was too slow, especially in the 3rd  :D ;D Sorry Mondy, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, reckon you're on the money with Boekhorst, you couldn't knock his effort, he really did do his best to get into the game. And also agree re Gus, he was our best defender and looks the goods... the bloke who out marked him in the last is also about 3 metres taller so we won't blame Gussy for that one. Fisher is coming along nicely. Polson, yep.

Glad others got to see the Cuningham conundrum. The bloke is all class, but only for guest appearances. Does some really good things then goes missing for extended periods. And he's been that way since he arrived...

Graham is a very good seconds player  ;D

I was slowed down as usual by having to carry half the team...... ;) especially Graham and Boekhorst.....

Reply #20
I was slowed down as usual by having to carry half the team...... ;) especially Graham and Boekhorst.....
:)) :)) :)) ...and having to pick up the slack when Cuningham decides he's done enough and has a snooze for a quarter or so...

Reply #21
That has been Cunningham since day 1. Maybe a fitness issue?

Great to hear Polson went well and Fisher showing signs. Polson is so quick. Would be a massive bonus if he turned out to be a player.

Reply #22
Left at 3/4 time but thought Cunningham was very good especially in first half.  Found a lot of the ball and used it well and also competed hard. Has so much pace wish he would use it more.

Polson and Fisher show a bit and so did Harry but agree it will take him a while . Did not think Graham was as bad as some others do.

jaksch is a complete spud.  Would have to be really desperate to give him a game in the seniors........

He's gone 4, 3, 1, 3 and 2 goals so far this year through the practice matches series and today. No reason not to play him. Tough days for forwards at our end of the ground in the conditions.

Reply #23

To slow down means he was quick once, so not all bad there.

Reply #24
He's gone 4, 3, 1, 3 and 2 goals so far this year through the practice matches series and today. No reason not to play him. Tough days for forwards at our end of the ground in the conditions.

Numbers are one thing, watching the bloke play is another. Clearly not up to it.

Reply #25
Numbers are one thing, watching the bloke play is another. Clearly not up to it.

Exactly. One-dimensional. Yes, runs in straight lines well and can take a grab... the end. He'll be handy for the NBs though, along with Jones.

Reply #26
Exactly. One-dimensional. Yes, runs in straight lines well and can take a grab... the end. He'll be handy for the NBs though, along with Jones.

Watching today, I actually thought Jones was more effective in the ruck than Phillips or Korcheck.

As usual, our discards played a hand in our own undoing. Some very hard questions need to be asked about our coaching and player development.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Peter Jackson VFL 2017
Port Melbourne   2.5  5.9  8.11  12.15 (87)
Northern Blues   2.4  2.5  4.9  8.10 (58)

GOALS:
Port Melbourne: Lisle 7 Pearson  Nahas  Cain  O'Sullivan  Wooffindin
Northern Blues: Jaksch 2 Fisher 2 Gallucci  Armfield  Sumner  McKay

BEST:
Port Melbourne: Mihocek O'Sullivan Sandilands Lisle Viojo-Rainbow Cain
Northern Blues: Graham Silvagni Polson Sheehan Wilson Stavrou

Something of a disappointment, considering the number of Carlton listed players available. I cannot gainsay the above comments: they saw the game and I didn't. However, it is the first time for the season that we have played this poorly. Even in our loss to Richmond a few weeks back there were good signs.

Gussy Sheehan will play senior footy this year, if he stays fit. He has the right attitude and strength. Injuries probably have hurt his pace: he was quicker than Tuohy.
The one we miss is the other Irishman, Ciaran Byrne. He has the PACE and the willingness to RUN out of defence. But it will be next year before he is really back to what we need.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28

Gussy Sheehan will play senior footy this year, if he stays fit. He has the right attitude and strength. Injuries probably have hurt his pace: he was quicker than Tuohy.
The one we miss is the other Irishman, Ciaran Byrne. He has the PACE and the willingness to RUN out of defence. But it will be next year before he is really back to what we need.
Dont be surprised if its sooner. My mail is this guy is as fanatical and meticulous at rehab as they have ever seen at the club. He is way ahead of schedule and is a beast of a trainer/preparer.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Peter Jackson VFL 2017
Port Melbourne   2.5  5.9  8.11  12.15 (87)
Northern Blues   2.4  2.5  4.9  8.10 (58)

GOALS:
Port Melbourne: Lisle 7 Pearson  Nahas  Cain  O'Sullivan  Wooffindin
Northern Blues: Jaksch 2 Fisher 2 Gallucci  Armfield  Sumner  McKay

BEST:
Port Melbourne: Mihocek O'Sullivan Sandilands Lisle Viojo-Rainbow Cain
Northern Blues: Graham Silvagni Polson Sheehan Wilson Stavrou

Something of a disappointment, considering the number of Carlton listed players available. I cannot gainsay the above comments: they saw the game and I didn't. However, it is the first time for the season that we have played this poorly. Even in our loss to Richmond a few weeks back there were good signs.

Not sure how Silvagni got in the best, he was woeful...Lisle kicked 7 on a combo of him, JGM and others, his disposal by foot is terrible and I can see why Lyon moved him on....
Sandilands and Mihocek are better defenders...not sure if the former made an AFL list or was rookied but he should have been, kicks the ball really well, is composed and takes a good mark.
Cant wait to have Byrne back....need a bit more dash of half back and I think he is your Touhy replacement...Sheehan's game didnt grab me...looks a tad slow
for seniors at this stage....