Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Rd 1: Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne (Read 13853 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Rd 1: Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne

Reply #30
Not sure how Silvagni got in the best, he was woeful...Lisle kicked 7 on a combo of him, JGM and others, his disposal by foot is terrible and I can see why Lyon moved him on....
Sandilands and Mihocek are better defenders...not sure if the former made an AFL list or was rookied but he should have been, kicks the ball really well, is composed and takes a good mark.
Cant wait to have Byrne back....need a bit more dash of half back and I think he is your Touhy replacement...Sheehan's game didnt grab me...looks a tad slow
for seniors at this stage....

I didn't watch the game but Silvagni was very good in the practice match against Richmond.  I had a close look at him and his work off the ball was good, his one on one defence was good and he covered for his team mates.  His disposal was good and he was physical.  I went away happy that we have as a rookie, mainly to bolster the NBs but to provide depth if required.

Sheehan only played the first half of the practice match but he looked good and certainly not slow.  He has a bit of competition now and may find it hard to displace the likes of Macreadie and Williamson.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
I didn't watch the game but Silvagni was very good in the practice match against Richmond.  I had a close look at him and his work off the ball was good, his one on one defence was good and he covered for his team mates.  His disposal was good and he was physical.  I went away happy that we have as a rookie, mainly to bolster the NBs but to provide depth if required.

Sheehan only played the first half of the practice match but he looked good and certainly not slow.  He has a bit of competition now and may find it hard to displace the likes of Macreadie and Williamson.

I think Williamson will play more on the wing when he has more games under has belt in a Issac Smith type role but will learn some of his trade tagging different players to get
experience, Sheehans main problem will be fellow Irishman Byrne when he gets back who is quicker and a better mark.
I'm not selling Sheehan short but on that last game he wouldnt be in my consideration for a senior game just yet....I'd have Polson as my next senior inclusion....

Reply #32
Nick Graham had 37 disposals and 8 clearances apparently.

Thats some sort of game right there.

On merit, he earns a gig so it will tell us a bit about where he and we are at depending on if he gets a crack.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33

On merit, he earns a gig so it will tell us a bit about where he and we are at depending on if he gets a crack.

I'd prefer him to Kerridge tbh. (Must stop this campaign against Sam but he really does annoy me!)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34
Most of Grahams disposals were rubbish IMO....he gets plenty of ball but does nothing to advantage with it, doesnt carry the footy, doesnt break lines, kick enough goals or set up other players enough. Polson has pace and unlike Graham kicks both feet and would be first cab off the rank if I was including another mid....
IMO Nick Graham is gone at seasons end....unless a miracle happens and he develops more nous and skill...

Reply #35
Most of Grahams disposals were rubbish IMO....he gets plenty of ball but does nothing to advantage with it, doesnt carry the footy, doesnt break lines, kick enough goals or set up other players enough. Polson has pace and unlike Graham kicks both feet and would be first cab off the rank if I was including another mid....
IMO Nick Graham is gone at seasons end....unless a miracle happens and he develops more nous and skill...

I reckon we'll wait another week or two and then bring in another youngster such as Poulson. Minimal changes this week. You're right EB, we probably won't go back to the likes of Graham unless forced e.g. by injury.

Reply #36

Yeah nah
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
I think Williamson will play more on the wing when he has more games under has belt in a Issac Smith type role but will learn some of his trade tagging different players to get
experience, Sheehans main problem will be fellow Irishman Byrne when he gets back who is quicker and a better mark.
I'm not selling Sheehan short but on that last game he wouldnt be in my consideration for a senior game just yet....I'd have Polson as my next senior inclusion....

I'd love to see Williamson on the wing!

If you watch his highlights he drills a 30-40m pass on his right foot.  I had to watch it again to confirm that he's a molly duker.  With a big, pacy winger like that delivering the ball inside 50, our forwards would have to be more productive.

I think Byrne is a more skilful attacking player but I'd prefer to have Sheehan standing blokes like Dusty.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
I'm not saying he's soft but he plays soft.... Falls over when needs to stay upright, gets knocked from contests too easily, misses tackles etc.  Not hard enough to play inside, too slow for outside, doesn't make good enough decisions with the pill to be a distributor.  Good VFL player but doesn't have "it" to be a senior player.  In times past he would have played a lot of games, but accumulators need to do more.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #39
Sheehan should be in for White more than Williamson. What a great debut that was. I remember seeing him in a JLT game and he looked hopeless. Couldn't have been better against the bummers in horrible conditions.

Reply #40
Yeah nah

Nah yeah  ;)

Reply #41
Can anyone confirm if NB are playing in the curtain raiser to the GC match.

Heard it somewhere but just want to be sure before i make plans to get to the game early.

Reply #42
Sheehan should be in for White more than Williamson. What a great debut that was. I remember seeing him in a JLT game and he looked hopeless. Couldn't have been better against the bummers in horrible conditions.

Thought White played one of his best games and was at home in the conditions with the pace off the game, dont see him being dropped....I wouldnt make too many changes but everyone seems infatuated(not me) with Nick Grahams form in the NB's so he might be some chance of playing...

Reply #43
Thought White played one of his best games and was at home in the conditions with the pace off the game, dont see him being dropped....I wouldnt make too many changes but everyone seems infatuated(not me) with Nick Grahams form in the NB's so he might be some chance of playing...

If NG is selected EB then that would be his last chance surely to stake his claim for a spot in our future list?

Reply #44
If NG is selected EB then that would be his last chance surely to stake his claim for a spot in our future list?
Cookie NG (along with KJ perhaps and Jones) are dead men walking. They have no future on our list, you saw the future on Sunday v the Cheating Scum and there are plenty of other newbies to look at before we go back to the ones who have provide zero at senior level. They wouldnt get a game on any other AFL list, we shouldnt waste any more time on them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time