Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 36144 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #90
He would be a walk up start, but then, that's not saying much. There would be at least 15 Tiger players that I would take ahead of him.

He's barely missed a game since going to Richmond (130 games in 7 years 13 so far in 2018), after 40 odd games in four seasons at Carlton, so Richmond obviously saw something in him that we didn't and the bald facts suggest that their judgement has proven to be correct.
With due respect, I doubt that Hardwicke cares how you rate his players.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #91
That doesn't mean the way you can play can't benefit someone else....just not us.

Yet here we are 7 years on, sitting dead last with one win and a percentage of 62. .
He surely couldn't have done us any harm.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #92
Yet here we are 7 years on, sitting dead last with one win and a percentage of 62. .
He surely couldn't have done us any harm.

Which part of 'We offered him a contract - he left for more money at Richmond' don't you understand?

EDIT:
In fact, further to the above, rumour goes he had agreed to terms with Greg Swann who left on an overseas trip, then changed his mind and agreed with the Tigers in the meantime.

But sure, we should've offered him EXTRA coin on top of what he agreed to, just in case he was going to change his mind. You think he'd solve all our problems now?
Are you a member of his family??

Reply #93
Which part of 'We offered him a contract - he left for more money at Richmond' don't you understand?

EDIT:
In fact, further to the above, rumour goes he had agreed to terms with Greg Swann who left on an overseas trip, then changed his mind and agreed with the Tigers in the meantime.

But sure, we should've offered him EXTRA coin on top of what he agreed to, just in case he was going to change his mind. You think he'd solve all our problems now?

No, just a realist who pays little attention to rumours.
We offered him a contract as a player who had played 40 games in four seasons, a Nick Graham type in other words, Richmond saw something in him that we didn't and offered him more.
Only a fool would have knocked it back.

Reply #94
He's barely missed a game since going to Richmond (130 games in 7 years 13 so far in 2018), after 40 odd games in four seasons at Carlton, so Richmond obviously saw something in him that we didn't and the bald facts suggest that their judgement has proven to be correct.
With due respect, I doubt that Hardwicke cares how you rate his players.

Hardwick doesn't care, and neither do plenty of others. But that's not the point of forums. Richmond were treading water for years before they finally got their act together. You can swap Grigg with dozens of average role players and not know the difference. It's like picking out one match in a match box and saying "I prefer this one".

Reply #95
Hardwick doesn't care, and neither do plenty of others. But that's not the point of forums. Richmond were treading water for years before they finally got their act together. You can swap Grigg with dozens of average role players and not know the difference. It's like picking out one match in a match box and saying "I prefer this one".

But every club needs them, and Grigg plays his role very well.
And I don't think that they are as common as matches in a box, if they were we wouldn't be sitting on the bottom.

Reply #96

EDIT:

If Im not mistaken, we had a couple of offers.

Richmond offered XYZ.

We offered ABC.

Shaun said no to ABC said he wanted XYZ

We then offered DEF whilst SHAUN was travelling, which he said yes to apparently.

Upon hearing we had countered, Richmond said to him we will give you another small z too, and then we countered again saying we would match it, and he said bugger it Im off anyway (thats how I remember it).

There is a common theme emerging.  Players were only staying for big dollars else they were leaving, and its because we as a football club have been very poor.  Ratten produced good results with our boys whilst we were here, but there is a tell about how well he performed as a coach, and it exists in the playing group we currently have.  I don't know who it says more about, be it Ratten, our coaching panel or perhaps our football club anyone else, but whilst Ratten was at the club, the only renduring players were either here before him, or on their last chance at AFL football with no real other options.

The second anyone else had an option they left and the only exceptions to that rule are blokes we elected to get rid of.

We seem to have the same problem today, and Im not sure how you arrest that slide, but Cameron Poulson getting a contract is a bit of a tell.  Half the kids probably dont want to stay with us, and we are renewing who wants to....
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #97
But every club needs them, and Grigg plays his role very well.
And I don't think that they are as common as matches in a box, if they were we wouldn't be sitting on the bottom.

No, Grigg types are common as matches in a box, it's some of the players around him that are not!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
No, just a realist who pays little attention to rumours.
We offered him a contract as a player who had played 40 games in four seasons, a Nick Graham type in other words, Richmond saw something in him that we didn't and offered him more.
Only a fool would have knocked it back.

Rumour or not, he was offered a contract. He left for more. EOS.

You seem to think that offering our already underperforming players MORE money in case they might leave will solve our problems is laughable.

Grigg simply wasn't going to take us to the promised land.
Neither was 50-other blokes that have been moved on in the meantime.
Neither is Graham who will be moved on this year.
That doesn't mean Grigg, Graham or anyone else cannot have a role at an opposition club.

Why are you so fixated on Grigg? You've been silent on him for the past 7 years he hasn't been at the club. Suddenly because he has a premiership medallion around his neck he is an automatic superstar?

Reply #99
Why are you so fixated on Grigg? You've been silent on him for the past 7 years he hasn't been at the club. Suddenly because he has a premiership medallion around his neck he is an automatic superstar?

You're reading way too much into my posts Kruds, someone else brought Grigg up and I said that we made a bad call on him and that was all I said.
By bad call I didn't mean not offering him more money, I wasn't referring to anything to do with his contract.
I meant that we were playing players like Chris Johnson, Joe Anderson, Aaron Joseph, Jordan Russell and Denis Armfield ahead of him which gave him cause to look elsewhere, and even if you don't rate him you can't possibly rate him below those others.
That's what I meant, I also admitted that I underrated him as well but I don't get paid to make those calls so my opinion of him is irrelevant.

Reply #100
You're reading way too much into my posts Kruds, someone else brought Grigg up and I said that we made a bad call on him and that was all I said.
By bad call I didn't mean not offering him more money, I wasn't referring to anything to do with his contract.
I meant that we were playing players like Chris Johnson, Joe Anderson, Aaron Joseph, Jordan Russell and Denis Armfield ahead of him which gave him cause to look elsewhere, and even if you don't rate him you can't possibly rate him below those others.
That's what I meant, I also admitted that I underrated him as well but I don't get paid to make those calls so my opinion of him is irrelevant.

Yep. Grigg turned out to be a much better foot soldier than the ones we ended up going with. We've had some good players but we have struggled with the foot soldiers to support them imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #101
No, Grigg types are common as matches in a box, it's some of the players around him that are not!

Richmond doesn't have many a graders, neither did Footscray, it's the Grigg types who win clubs flags.

Reply #102
Richmond doesn't have many a graders, neither did Footscray, it's the Grigg types who win clubs flags.

I think it was Robert Walls who said "Judge the quality of a team by the quality of it's bottom six as much as by the quality of its top six" or words to that effect.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #103

Funny you mention those names. They all have 1 thing in common, and its something Grigg doesn't have. Which also happens to be his main weakness.

Simply, they can kick, he cannot. Ditto Mitch Robinson and Tom Bell. Plenty of big bodied midfielders out there who lack the ability to use the ball well. You can even throw Cripps in with that lot. Thankfully he is elite in other areas.

Well in order to make a bad call, or a good call, there has to be something to make a call on. In this case the 'call' was about him going or not. Given the reason he went was for more money (or at least the equivalent - but you don't believe rumours) then i'm not sure what 'call' we made that was 'bad'. Hence why this is all about his contract and him WANTING to leave, thus not giving us a 'call' to make.

Reply #104
Yep. Grigg turned out to be a much better foot soldier than the ones we ended up going with. We've had some good players but we have struggled with the foot soldiers to support them imo.

Agree, but all of those players were on less money than what Grigg was/is on too.

So its about value for money. Is 1 grigg better value than 1 JR and 1 Army combined?