Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne (Read 111793 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne

Reply #225
In our case, there's far more in the tank than what we showed last week however.

I'm really looking forward to the easy kill this week anyway. Great opportunity for blokes like Carrazzo to get some match fitness and of course we get to see the continued development of blokes like Buckley and Cripps.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #226
In our case, there's far more in the tank than what we showed last week however.

I'm really looking forward to the easy kill this week anyway. Great opportunity for blokes like Carrazzo to get some match fitness and of course we get to see the continued development of blokes like Buckley and Cripps.

That's what I'm hoping so I am definitely going along - great that it's on Sat arvo too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #227
Menzel should get a full game as well, at a ground that offers space to work in and conditions to suit.

I expect Lucas to be the sub as that seems to be something he seems suited for with his run and ability to play half forward.  We'll need his run later with Cripps and Carazzo still lacking miles in the legs.   His attitude will be a tell IMO... if he attacks the contest with conviction we'll be all right, if he just minces around...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #228
Wish I could turn up to my job and say, look your tools are not up to it and then perform worse than the guy before me who got sacked for performance. That would be awesome.

Reply #229
Wish I could turn up to my job and say, look your tools are not up to it and then perform worse than the guy before me who got sacked for performance. That would be awesome.

Great way of pointing out how ridiculous this whole thing is. Oh no but it's Mick, Mick will fix it, Mick knows everything! :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #230

Great way of pointing out how ridiculous this whole thing is. Oh no but it's Mick, Mick will fix it, Mick knows everything! :))

Yep.  If MM says jump,  Sticks and co say how high.   He has well and truly got this club by the balls.

Reply #231

Yep.  If MM says jump,  Sticks and co say how high.   He has well and truly got this club by the balls.

Yeah, because we need a leader that's weak as pissss so we can keep the presumably required hierarchical norm in tact... You've got a strong leader as coach  suck it up and rejoice, we needed it , the next president will hopefully be a stronger character and your hierarchy will fit your visionary norm, that should put you at hierarchical ease should it not?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #232
Ignorance is bliss eh D_U?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #233

Yeah, because we need a leader that's weak as pissss so we can keep the presumably required hierarchical norm in tact... You've got a strong leader as coach  suck it up and rejoice, we needed it , the next president will hopefully be a stronger character and your hierarchy will fit your visionary norm, that should put you at hierarchical ease should it not?

Nicely put, Scratchy Pants. We've got a ridgey didge leader in the place, telling it how it is and yep, some won't like it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #234

Looks that way P2C. Have a look at Melbourne, one the oldest clubs in the league, it's supporters are so f$&@$ up themselves that they've transcended tribalism, I mean they are so f$&@ cultured and sophisticated and wouldn't dare drop a rude word.. And they're team plays that's way.

Then You have eddies mob, as dumb as dogs crap, happy to be led and things get done.

We're closer to Melbourne, our successes have transcended us beyond AFL. We should join the United Nations, it's more up our cultural alley.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #235

Did the thought ever cross your mind, that this is why Ratten may have lost his job?

Malthouse may very well have been up front regarding the group's capability (we were not rated well at all 2 years ago), while Ratten may very well have said that this list can win a flag.

Who would you believe of the two, and why?

If you had to rebuild who would you trust to do it?

I heard a rumour which is too hindsight to repeat as truth but if true, it might speak for why Ratts may have lost his job and it has to do with certain recruiting decisions made and the direction the club was supposed to be going.  After all, these are linked to the Senior coach in terms of recruitment strategy and list management was another question mark in this domain.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #236

Malthouse may very well have been up front regarding the group's capability (we were not rated well at all 2 years ago), while Ratten may very well have said that this list can win a flag.

I believe Ratten thought we could win a flag
I believe the club thought so as well given their statements and recruiting
I believe Malthouse told the club he could (not would) deliver a flag.

It is well possible that Mick was talking crap. He has form.

Other scenarios don't really make sense with events IMO. Especially the timing of the sacking.

Reply #237

Looks that way P2C. Have a look at Melbourne, one the oldest clubs in the league, it's supporters are so f$&@$ up themselves that they've transcended tribalism, I mean they are so f$&@ cultured and sophisticated and wouldn't dare drop a rude word.. And they're team plays that's way.

Then You have eddies mob, as dumb as dogs crap, happy to be led and things get done.

We're closer to Melbourne, our successes have transcended us beyond AFL. We should join the United Nations, it's more up our cultural alley.

That said, how would you describe the hawks?

Reply #238

I believe Ratten thought we could win a flag
I believe the club thought so as well given their statements and recruiting
I believe Malthouse told the club he could (not would) deliver a flag.

It is well possible that Mick was talking crap. He has form.

Other scenarios don't really make sense with events IMO. Especially the timing of the sacking.

We cant know for sure what Mick promised, the fact that he said could leaves the argument open to it being a conditional statement, but we do know that this is what Ratten was hunting as it was the mission statement at the beginning of the year was continual improvement and to try and make the top 4.  In fact the failure to reach that goal, was a major argument as to why he should be sacked by many of the fans on this forum whilst others were advocating a sliding scale given the injuries (myself being one of the few sticking with Ratten).

Now Mick has come onboard, and has not really made statements about what we are trying to do but rather that there is no limit to what can be achieved aside from the one we place on ourselves.

I don't harbour the pessimism surrounding Mick Malthouse that everyone else seems to (some right from the day he set foot in the club were looking for reasons to pot him).

This makes me a backer of Malthouse but I dont do it, because I think he is the be all and end all.  I backed the players, they have let me down.  I backed the club, they have let me down.  Now I can only back the coach, but the club and the players are still the same, so until he can really make the team his own, I have no problem in saying that he hasnt let me down - YET.

He very well might.  I dont know, but from what I can see, he is concentrating on fixing the very part of the list that was our biggest issue.  Players from age 18 - 23.  It looks a lot better this year than it did last year, and it looks like Mick is setting us up for a future even if he doesnt deliver in the short term.  For me, given our current start, and form, I cant see us playing finals unless a massive turnaround in form and fortune happens, so the recruitment period come end of season will tell us a lot about whether or not Mick is doing the right thing by our footy club.  If he sacrifices our future to aim at success next year, I will join you guys in the "Mick is letting us down category" but there will still be a bit of turnover down at that end of the list.  After all, Bootsma, Watson, Mccinnes, Levi, Lucas are all looking like they are not going to become anything but run of the mill ordinary players and if he cut those names loose none will be surprised, but if we start trading blokes like Yarran, Menzel and Cripps if he were to come into his own as a future star of the comp, then look out.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #239
Waite's form has been shocking, which is amazing considering that he played pre season games for the first time in five years, I was expecting big things.
I still think the best football he's played was at CHB and I would have run that one before I dropped him with Henderson CHF, but I honestly don't think he can complain about being dropped and neither should we members.
Garlett is another matter, he has always drifted in and out of games and his form this year isn't much different to what he's shown since he came to the club, I would have rolled the dice again with him.
Good luck to young Cripps, and it's great to see Scotto back.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.