Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 7162 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #45
Was good to see Levi starting to use his weight and strength again around the ground, that's the first time I've seen it this year. It's his go. He should ignore the tap stuff and just muscle opponents and try to get a handball away and if the ball is pilfered by an opponent he should be smashing them in a tackle every time, even if he gives away a few frees it'll start making some space for Walsh and Cripps.

Noticed the big fella do this a couple of times last week. It was his (legal) hefty tackle on Young that sent him to the sick bay.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
In the end just wanted to get to 2-2 no matter how. Thought that was just so important. 1-3 with Port to come would put things in a very different context.

Reply #47
They should drop setterfield EB.

This bloke plats like he will get a game no matter how he performs. Same with Dow.

Setterfield jogs around the contest and won’t attack the ball or player with the energy and intent.

Seen enough of both of them and really hope we give others a go. Kennedy, Cunningham and stocker should be given 5 or so games to compare and make decisions on all on this group come seasons end.

Cottrell shows the intent needed. May not have the look of a Dow or setterfield but he has heart and energy and that’s a trait you either have or you don’t.

Same for parks. That boy has ticker too.

Hate seeing kids that play like they are comfortable and setters, Dow and LOB do that.
Shawny, he was seen a boom recruit given his draft profile before GWS took him and he will get the extra slack cut his way that
early picks get IMHO. Kennedy is at the other end of the spectrum, blue collar rookie one step away from delisting.
I'd play Kennedy and have always said he has had a rough time selection wise..

Reply #48
In the end just wanted to get to 2-2 no matter how. Thought that was just so important. 1-3 with Port to come would put things in a very different context.
So now we have to expend all energy getting to 3-2. Port will be a tough job, so was Geel at Geel last year. If not for some slightly sloppy defence, we would have beat Port last year and it took Robbie Gray's best to knock us off. Onwards and upwards, these are the games that launch seasons, that's the challenge.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
So now we have to expend all energy getting to 3-2. Port will be a tough job, so was Geel at Geel last year. If not for some slightly sloppy defence, we would have beat Port last year and it took Robbie Gray's best to knock us off. Onwards and upwards, these are the games that launch seasons, that's the challenge.

Yes, shame it was Gray who ended up taking the kick. Super player, as clutch as they come.

Reply #50

Yes, 3-2 would be nice. How long has it been since we were on the positive side of the W/L ledger?

Reply #51
Yes, 3-2 would be nice. How long has it been since we were on the positive side of the W/L ledger?
R11 2016, we were 6-5
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #52
R11 2016, we were 6-5

That's right. We were 0-4, then had this awful looking win against Freo, which made last night look brilliant, and equally $hitty looking win the week after, but it started a run of 6 wins in 7 games where we had wins over Collingwood and Geelong. The value of a $hit win over a honorable loss, it gives belief. 2 wins in a row, some belief, could start something. Hopefully!

Reply #53
Fitness wise, we were all over the Suns in the last quarter. We kept attacking and if 1.7 had been 5.3 we would be singing the praises of Russell and his team. We ran out the game very well I thought.

Reply #54
Fitness wise, we were all over the Suns in the last quarter. We kept attacking and if 1.7 had been 5.3 we would be singing the praises of Russell and his team. We ran out the game very well I thought.
Agreed, but 1.7 against good opo will end in tears.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #55
That's right. We were 0-4, then had this awful looking win against Freo, which made last night look brilliant, and equally $hitty looking win the week after, but it started a run of 6 wins in 7 games where we had wins over Collingwood and Geelong. The value of a $hit win over a honorable loss, it gives belief. 2 wins in a row, some belief, could start something. Hopefully!

How did Cuningham do in the Magoos?

The Cameo King has a lot of criticism over his teasing career but I watched a feature on him on the CFC website and he had 11 tackles last week and there has been a considerable emphasis on lifting his defensive game, which just might do the trick. Here's hoping. Might be the kind of bloke who if given a run with role might be forced to concentrate for 120 minutes... which could save his career.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
Shawny, he was seen a boom recruit given his draft profile before GWS took him and he will get the extra slack cut his way that
early picks get IMHO. Kennedy is at the other end of the spectrum, blue collar rookie one step away from delisting.
I'd play Kennedy and have always said he has had a rough time selection wise..
Agree he has had a rough run, I’d play him too

But, remember, Kennedy was also a bit of a boom recruit originally

“A member of the Giants' academy program, he was drafted by the Giants with the thirteenth selection in the 2015 AFL draft, matching a bid from Richmond.”

Reply #58
Agree he has had a rough run, I’d play him too

But, remember, Kennedy was also a bit of a boom recruit originally

“A member of the Giants' academy program, he was drafted by the Giants with the thirteenth selection in the 2015 AFL draft, matching a bid from Richmond.”
Setterfield was good last season and I dont know whats gone on pre season but is as soft as a maccas soft serve on a 40 degree day at the moment and doesnt want contact.
Kennedy has been battling since we traded him in, he was highly rated and couldnt crack the GWS star midfield setup but has just fallen out of favor and given we lack some strong bodies I havent been able to work out why he cant get in the team and is always the fall guy who gets dropped when we lose.

Reply #59
End of the round we sit 7th!