Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 7042 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #60
End of the round we sit 7th!
How many people were sharpening knives and drawing a target on Teagues back just 2 weeks ago.

Reply #61
How many people were sharpening knives and drawing a target on Teagues back just 2 weeks ago.
Yep I was one.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
I actually went to the game, which always gives a different perspective.

As close at it may have been, it felt like we were always in control of the game and were never really going to lose (yes, I know that's easy to say in retrospect...).  At the ground, you can look 80 metres off the ball to see who is working hard, who is slacking and who controls things.

Forget who the pundits said was best on the ground.  The man who is becoming the absolute general of the backline is Jacob Weitering.  He was superb, smashed King in virtually every one-on-one and has a very calm head once he has the ball,  Liam is good too, but this week and last, he could run around intercepting because Weitering had such a presence and provided the cover.  There is no stat for presence and cool head, but they are invaluable.

The Suns were only in the game because (a) we kicked 9.16 instead of 16.9 and (b) they got 3 goals from unbelievably soft free kicks at really important times.  At the start of the last quarter, I said to my son who was with me that the 'old' Carlton would end up coughing up this game.  To my delight, they all worked incredibly hard in the last quarter - didn't get the scoreboard rewards, but kept turning up the heat.  The run and cover was miles ahead of the Suns.

An ugly win, yes, but pleasing that the work rate is improving.

Some observations :

(1) The dew was a significant factor.  Certainly meant that disposal was more difficult than even a wet day in Melbourne.
(2) We really need some expert assistance in tackling, so that they stick - our one-on-tackles are about as firm as those floppy sponges in a car wash.
(3) Patrick Cripps, as much as I love him, needs to learn about poise.  ATM, when he gets the ball, he is so unpredictable and tries to do so much that no-one, team-mates included, knows what he is going to do.  The mark and play-on in the last quarter is the perfect example - that should have led to a goal and shut the gate.  It's easy to say he is a gun surrounded by spuds, but on many occasions, he makes them look that way.  Give him some tapes of Pendlebury and get him to study how he uses his teammates.  Usually, one simple clean disposal is much better than trying to crash through three tackles.
(4) Kennedy must come in.  Attacks the ball well, presents on lead, and kicks very well.  His last 10 minutes were very important.

In the end, it was nice to walk down the stairs to the tune of 'Da-da-da-da-da'.   

Roll on next week.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #63
Thanks tonyo. Enjoyed reading that.

Reply #64
I actually went to the game, which always gives a different perspective.

As close at it may have been, it felt like we were always in control of the game and were never really going to lose (yes, I know that's easy to say in retrospect...).  At the ground, you can look 80 metres off the ball to see who is working hard, who is slacking and who controls things.

Forget who the pundits said was best on the ground.  The man who is becoming the absolute general of the backline is Jacob Weitering.  He was superb, smashed King in virtually every one-on-one and has a very calm head once he has the ball,  Liam is good too, but this week and last, he could run around intercepting because Weitering had such a presence and provided the cover.  There is no stat for presence and cool head, but they are invaluable.

The Suns were only in the game because (a) we kicked 9.16 instead of 16.9 and (b) they got 3 goals from unbelievably soft free kicks at really important times.  At the start of the last quarter, I said to my son who was with me that the 'old' Carlton would end up coughing up this game.  To my delight, they all worked incredibly hard in the last quarter - didn't get the scoreboard rewards, but kept turning up the heat.  The run and cover was miles ahead of the Suns.

An ugly win, yes, but pleasing that the work rate is improving.

Some observations :

(1) The dew was a significant factor.  Certainly meant that disposal was more difficult than even a wet day in Melbourne.
(2) We really need some expert assistance in tackling, so that they stick - our one-on-tackles are about as firm as those floppy sponges in a car wash.
(3) Patrick Cripps, as much as I love him, needs to learn about poise.  ATM, when he gets the ball, he is so unpredictable and tries to do so much that no-one, team-mates included, knows what he is going to do.  The mark and play-on in the last quarter is the perfect example - that should have led to a goal and shut the gate.  It's easy to say he is a gun surrounded by spuds, but on many occasions, he makes them look that way.  Give him some tapes of Pendlebury and get him to study how he uses his teammates.  Usually, one simple clean disposal is much better than trying to crash through three tackles.
(4) Kennedy must come in.  Attacks the ball well, presents on lead, and kicks very well.  His last 10 minutes were very important.

In the end, it was nice to walk down the stairs to the tune of 'Da-da-da-da-da'.   

Roll on next week.
Brilliant post Tonyo, being at the ground you see so much more that TV and stats don't.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65

Actually, not many.
Most were pointing out things they'd like to see him try or suggesting that he could do with a win.
A far cry from calling for his sacking.

Reply #66
Sps age 23 (born feb 98) pick 6 in the 2016 national draft.
Despite some of the grumbling about his output, the decision to back him in and keep playing him seems to be yielding rewards.

Paddy dow age 21 (born October 99) pick 3 2017 national draft.  I think we need to persist with dow for a few more weeks whilst he's cracking in.  He's had a significant set back where sps hasn't and is almost 1.5 years younger.  Given sps is only just starting to really show some form and consistency perhaps dow just needs similar treatment.

Im not going to talk about o brien.  He's born September 1999 and looks less likely to make it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
A few observations from the replay:
- our backs are building synergy. We'll see how this allows 1 or2 to dominate while the others simply get the job done. Improving week by week. Samo showing some real class and finally kicking >15m
- our newbies have the right hard working, hard edge approach. Cotterell, Fogarty, Parks, Saad
- our veterans came in and led the way. Extremely pleasing
- goalkicking was shocking. Unsure if that's about skill or conditions
- what on earth happened at stoppages?
 - We look like we have some depth at long last. We have a talented rehab list - enter Mr Russell
- great to hear the noise our QLD / travelling Bluebaggers made 👏
- thrilled to see the off the ball work improve. SOJ, Eddie, Ed have it. Fogarty takes it to another level, and others are following
- that's exactly the type of game we've too often lost. Hopefully the experiential learning will help clinch a few close one's
- if not for inaccuracy, we would have buried them q1 and/or q4
- We ran the game out very well
- our natural footballers make an important contribution
- Setters didn't look to be in the game. Although Dow had a crack, he often looked almost confused. Have we made his role clear? Perhaps he needs a  dedicated role to help build confidence again
- if we could get injuries sorted, we'd be in with a chance
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #68
Freo and Gold Coast were injury hit and are two very poor teams who we should beat well. Neither win has been impressive and its a bit early to be calling players, coaches or anyone else over the line in terms of making it in the big time yet.

Reply #69
Freo and Gold Coast were injury hit and are two very poor teams who we should beat well. Neither win has been impressive and its a bit early to be calling players, coaches or anyone else over the line in terms of making it in the big time yet.

I was teasing my Collingwood supporter mate about he ladder and his response was they have had a tough draw with only one easy game. Ouch.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #70
I was teasing my Collingwood supporter mate about he ladder and his response was they have had a tough draw with only one easy game. Ouch.
Nice back hander from your mate, don't think we are in the easy beat category but kicking 9 goals vs a undermanned GC team doesn't inspire high confidence for the future either.

Reply #71
Nice back hander from your mate, don't think we are in the easy beat category but kicking 9 goals vs a undermanned GC team doesn't inspire high confidence for the future either.

If the last quarter has been 5.3 or 4.4 looks a lot better than the 1.7 we mustered?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #72
If the last quarter has been 5.3 or 4.4 looks a lot better than the 1.7 we mustered?

Good point. And we dominated possession when the game was online.
Like EB says the last 2 wins were against weaker opposition but as we have seen this year if you’re not switched on, upsets occur so doing what was needed to get the 4 points is still acceptable imo.
We thankfully no longer appear to be a bottom 4 team but as far as being a genuine top 8 chance this year the next fortnight will be telling.

Reply #73
Good point. And we dominated possession when the game was online.
Like EB says the last 2 wins were against weaker opposition but as we have seen this year if you’re not switched on, upsets occur so doing what was needed to get the 4 points is still acceptable imo.
We thankfully no longer appear to be a bottom 4 team but as far as being a genuine top 8 chance this year the next fortnight will be telling.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #74
It's a bit early!
The Force Awakens!